spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lw8
@166.216.194.x

lw8

Anon

outbound firewall needed for wim xp

hello I am looking for outbound firewall to use with win xp3 firewall...bassically I want to block alll outbound connections!
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned)

"bassically I want to block alll outbound connections!" .... like me use XP-PRO with all office application "OFF_LINE"" & never trying go for trouble online, YMMV {{{ SMILE }}}

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to lw8

to lw8
said by lw8 :

bassically I want to block alll outbound connections!

Why would you choose to block ALL outbound connections? Why not just disable the NIC?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

1 recommendation

MacGyver

Quit being wiseguys. He wants to block all outbound connections except the ones he/she specifies. lw8, check out this thread for options: »The best free firewalls you can get for Mac and PC..
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to lw8

MVM

to lw8
said by lw8 :

bassically I want to block alll outbound connections!

Is your preference for a hardware/appliance-based? Software-based?

Budget?

Is logging needed, and do you plan to be regularly reviewing your logs?

What is your level of technical expertise?

2nd MacGyver See Profile 's link for software-based options as a starting point.
Hardware-wise, a repurposed PC with a *nix distro of firewall could easily do this and more.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to MacGyver

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Quit being wiseguys.

Not being a wiseguy, just trying to understand what the OP is trying to do.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
I googled and found this:

»superuser.com/questions/ ··· ific-app

which leads to this:

old version of Sygate Personal Firewall: »www.filehippo.com/downlo ··· irewall/

CurrPorts: »www.nirsoft.net/utils/cp ··· rts.html

iSafer: »isafer.sourceforge.net/

YMMV

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
+1 for the old Sygate.
I still run that after all these years on my two old WinXP test machines.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

+2 for sygate i done forgot about that old firewall. Dang nice firewall even if old as the hills.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
I still use Outpost Firewall 2009 firewall. I used to use Kerio Personal Firewall until XP SP3 started blue screening (a known issue and never fixed). However, I don't use Windows' firewall.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
Chubbzie has it right. You don't need a firewall to block outbound to all addresses or just the web. Just adjust the settings on the network interface card so that the PC can't connect to your choice. Unless your needs are very finicky, an additional firewall program is overkill.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel

Premium Member

»Re: Can I live with Windows Firewall alone on W7 SP1

lw8
@166.216.194.x

lw8 to lw8

Anon

to lw8
hello all.....thanks for the help...I am looking for software based firewall/application that wil block all outbound connections and or any applicaion,poccess thats trying to establish oubound connection without my knowledge...such as explorer.exe does it...
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

2 recommendations

Nanaki (banned)

said by lw8 :

that wil block all outbound connections and or any applicaion,poccess thats trying to establish oubound connection without my knowledge..

Go with sygate it will alert you when ever a application does try to connect. you can also add rules to allow a application to make a connection with out waiting for the prompt. Sygate was very popular with online gamers because it was easy to add allowed applications manually. You can white list (allow a program to connect with out a prior prompting.) or black list the (the exact opposite) Can also chose to always prompt on a program by program basis.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
In network interface set Default Gateway to 127.0.0.1. That will effectively block your outbound connections.

Eboli2x4
join:2002-07-20
Hubbard, TX

Eboli2x4 to lw8

to lw8
Sygate is still a good outbound firewall for xp.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to lw8

Premium Member

to lw8
Norton (360 and Internet Security) products can block outbound too for consumer users.
JarmoP
join:2013-10-11
Finland

JarmoP to lw8

to lw8
I sort of miss Sygate firewall. I even made a web page guide for it. It is now gone since my operator change. Was nice to give help to people in the forum before Symantec bought it and killed it. Miss the persons in there.

We moved to W7 etc. later that have better inherent firewall than XP firewall. I think Sygate will be good to go with XP users still.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

I remember doing some weird stuff with firewalls like enjoy i think it was called with its true stateful packet inspection. Im a irc fanantic at times so playing with that fire wall i literally put some one on like super ignore. Completely removed their nick name from all parts of my screen. Could even have it just remove keywords etc from websites loads of fun and good for a laugh to.