Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [Serious] Manhunt underway in Moncton

He had a moment of aberration amounting to temporary insanity owing to the violent distress under which he was laboring.

That would be my plea. At least he had a period a lucidity where he surrendered, after disarming himself. A coward who could not go down in a blaze of "inglory" and save us, the taxpayer, and the families of the victims the cost of a long and expensive trial.

I hear nothing about the victims. RCMP officers, fathers and husbands. The next few days and weeks will be devoted to the "shooter" and soon we'll l start blaming society, his parents, Harper and cops in general for all his ills. He will have his moment of infamy, write a bestselling book, inspire a movie portraying a sympathetic man who was a misunderstood kid being forced, by circumstances, into doing what he did.

To me, simply put, he's a killer.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Lothario

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

ot much different than the Calgary stabbings, pre- meditated attacks.

We don't know the circumstances about how the interaction with the dead cops started or went down.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to capdjq

to capdjq
" temporary insanity" and "A coward who could not go down"

at same time? Just because you want him to be die in gun battle or be killed by RCMP?

RCMP got killed because of poor training or overconfidence and mistakes.

What he did can not be forgiven (IMO) and is/was insane. People do insane things when they go crazy. But I accept your opinion.

I am just glad this is all over as he came to senses. Before the bystanders or other innocent people got killed.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to capdjq

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

I hear nothing about the victims. RCMP officers, fathers and husbands.

That material is there in the media. More will come out in time. There will be full regimental funerals, in all probability, as there should be.
DKS

DKS to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

at same time? Just because you want him to be die in gun battle or be killed by RCMP?

We have no evidence of that.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
What I've heard he was walking down the street with his assortment of weapons. This is where the photos of him originated, people passing by him snapping pictures. RCMP cruiser pulls up to investigate and a single shot through the windshield took the first RCMP officers life. Haven't heard how the other four officers came under fire as yet.

Betcha those who walked by 'Rambo' earlier are thankful today.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to Kardinal

to Kardinal

"Michael Arntfield, formerly of the London Police Service, now a professor at Western University with broad interest in criminology and forensic linguistics, including the quotation of music lyrics by killers."

“Something may have triggered him. I can’t imagine this coming out of left field,” said Mr. Downs.

Thank you Professor Einstein for reminding us.

His musical tastes also invited speculation. Prof. Arntfield said Megadeth was a curious choice, made sinister because the thrash metal band was also quoted by alleged Calgary mass murderer Matthew de Grood, who stabbed to death four men and a woman at a house party in April.

So if you know any body listening to that particular one be careful.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I would have figured he offed himself somewhere in the woods. Guess not.

If he really hates authority as much as he professes, then he might be better off dead, than being told what to do for the rest of your useful life, in prison. I'm surprised he gave up - rather than that other route...

The other way, though I bet he tries and takes out more cops, so this is the best outcome for sure.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Lothario to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
I've been listening to megadeth for 20 years. Felt no compuction to kill anyone. Of course I also listen to John Denver so maybe that tempers it......

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

His musical tastes also invited speculation. Prof. Arntfield said Megadeth was a curious choice, made sinister because the thrash metal band was also quoted by alleged Calgary mass murderer Matthew de Grood, who stabbed to death four men and a woman at a house party in April.

There is a solid and evidential connection between that type of music and any number of negative anti-social activities including arson of churches. It is a flag for concern.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I suspect it's not the music per se, but the mindset of certain people who are then subsequently drawn to that music. Chicken and egg perhaps.
Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

4 recommendations

Anav to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal

Be it established religions, or made up religions, based on fictional internet characters (two girls last week) or based on music, they will always be cruxes for the mentally unstable. To blame the mediums for the actions of the insane is ridiculous. This guy be it slowly or by a specific event was going down a path. I find it hard to believe that friends, parents and doctors did not have a clue. This speaks to DKS long standing view that we need as a society to be much better educated about mental health issues, to be more compassionate on one hand but on the other to be vigilant to protect society.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

2 recommendations

EdmundGerber to Kardinal

to Kardinal
In this story, I found a nugget of levity in an otherwise horrible situation...

»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· appened/
Norm Macdonald, a Canadian actor and comedian living in Los Angeles, was worried about Phil Robinson, an elderly family friend . When Mr. Macdonald reached him, he found his resilient friend watching the National Hockey League game in his basement with his wife, Margaret — and not happy about it.

“I don’t got a gun no more. Margaret got rid of it a long time ago … So now, I’m hiding in my basement,” he said, as Mr. Macdonald recounted it. “Goddam it, I’m trying to watch this game and it’s on a black and white piece of shit [TV].”

Mr. Robinson decided to chance a move upstairs to his large-screen TV.

“Let the sonofabitch shoot me right here in my easy chair, drinking a Molson and watching hockey on a 50-incher,” he said.,
“Chrissake, I know the world’s gone to hell in a hand basket. But I’m drinking a beer and watching the finals.”

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas

said by Styvas:

I suspect it's not the music per se, but the mindset of certain people who are then subsequently drawn to that music. Chicken and egg perhaps.

I tend to agree, people who are mentally unstable tend to use external motivators (music, tv, religion etc) to justify positions and beliefs they already have. Clearly the "external motivator" isn't to blame here, as it's being used to back up something the insane person is already thinking.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Lothario:

Hope he enjoys his prison "bunkmate".

Considering he'll be jailed in Canada, rather than the US, I'm sure it won't matter either way and he'll use the next few years to spiritually find himself.

People like this are usually placed in perpetual "protective custody" which in most places now means he will have his own tiny closet- sized space where he will be spending 22-23 hours a day locked away...

and only allowed 1 hour for a shower, shave and a quick walk.

Federal Max in Canada doesn't double bunk, though it certainly is no free ride.

I'm expecting some kind of mandatory psych eval though.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Styvas:

I tend to agree, people who are mentally unstable tend to use external motivators (music, tv, religion etc) to justify positions and beliefs they already have. Clearly the "external motivator" isn't to blame here, as it's being used to back up something the insane person is already thinking.

And that is what I am thinking why some resort to violence and their friends who listen the same don't? Why some people have that courage or insanity and others don't?
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Gone

to Gone

said by Gone:

said by vue666:

Don't like cops than who would you call when you are in dire need?

I don't like needles but I still go get my flu shot every year. What's your point?

Either way, this guy's problem was supposedly with the cops and no one else. There are stories of people encountering him when he was on the loose and even though he was stone-faced, he didn't go out of his way to actively threaten anyone who wasn't in a uniform.

Sorry but your flu shot analogy fails. A flu shot is an inanimate object and not flesh and bone. A police officer puts his life on the line every time he goes to work, a flu shot does not....

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

They both can be irritating pricks, though.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Kardinal

to Kardinal
Sorry Steve but I see NOTHING funny in this thread.... As I said earlier my cousin Stephen is a member of the Moncton RCMP and if it wasn't for his training engagement in Halifax it could have easily been him shoot...
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by loosedobbs:

There is a solid and evidential connection between that type of music and any number of negative anti-social activities including arson of churches. It is a flag for concern.

Oh bullshit. Based on your wrong assumptions, I'm a massive red flag. Megadeth is pretty pussified music compared to what I listen to most of the time (I just finished listening to promos of the new albums by Mayhem and Abaddon Incarnate - look that up hehehe).

There is no evidential anything. It's all anecdotal. That bullshit has been spread around for over 30 years (remember the PMRC, Tipper Gore's crusade).

Funny that when some asshole shoots a bunch of people and he wasn't a listener of metal music, they don't talk about his music tastes at all.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

1 recommendation

jaberi to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Sorry Steve but I see NOTHING funny in this thread.... As I said earlier my cousin Stephen is a member of the Moncton RCMP and if it wasn't for his training engagement in Halifax it could have easily been him shoot...

and you would have mourned your cousin in the same capacity the families of those 5 stabbed victims in Calgary, and the 3 Brinks guards shot by their co-worker mourned.
to say that a cop is more important, or more loved by his family than the rest of the victims is absurd.
Sammy Yatim was pummeled by bullets by a cop James Forcillo, and that same cop is back at work now....do you think Sammy's family is less important or can mourn easier than the families of cops who were shot?

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by loosedobbs:

really? Have you not seen the video? The officer is behind the car and this guy sneaks behind him and kills him. The lady in that video watching bangs on the windows to alert the officer. tried to warn the officer that this prick is behind him.

add:

Moncton shooting witnesses tried to warn RCMP officer: ‘He turned around and it was too late’
»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· officer/
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Don't like cops than who would you call when you are in dire need?

amazing how people assume and read into things .....i contribute to their salaries and livelihood, and they are there to serve and protect, not use and abuse like many have been doing......however, that is not saying that there is no good cops, but what's coming out of the academy lately is giving those few good ones a bad name.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MichelR

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

There is no evidential anything. It's all anecdotal.

Wrong. There are several cases of church arson directly linked to heavy metal music. The perps were/are serving time in prison. And that's no anecdote.
DKS

DKS to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

said by DKS:

said by loosedobbs:

really? Have you not seen the video? The officer is behind the car and this guy sneaks behind him and kills him. The lady in that video watching bangs on the windows to alert the officer. tried to warn the officer that this prick is behind him.

add:

Moncton shooting witnesses tried to warn RCMP officer: ‘He turned around and it was too late’
»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· officer/

And you are a trained police officer? Any videos I have seen are simply too blurred or too distant to make anything out.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Lothario:

Hope he enjoys his prison "bunkmate".

Considering he'll be jailed in Canada, rather than the US, I'm sure it won't matter either way and he'll use the next few years to spiritually find himself.

I'm not getting your meaning....?

I don't think he'd be in general prison population either way.