Search similar:

uniqs
billdz
join:2012-12-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

VPN and voice calling

Hello,

I have an Android cell phone and have Xfinity home phone service. The cell phone has an app, called Xfinity Connect, that allows me to use my cell phone to make calls and to receive calls to my landline. The app works quite well, but apparently does not work outside the USA. I set up a VPN on the cell phone using OpenVPN and VPNbook, and the VPN appears to be working as it should, but I still can't make or receive calls with the Xfinity Connect app.

Is there anything that can be done to enable calling via VPN?

Thanks,
b
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

I think the key question you have to answer is "how does the Xfinity Connect app work?" I'm not an app developer
and I don't have this service where I am, but from a VPN perspective, if the app isn't amenable to being tunneled,
or is not even going over the tunnel you set up, there's your problem right there.

My 00000010bits

Regards
billdz
join:2012-12-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

OK, thanks, I do not know much about VPN, thought it allowed normal internet usage but with a different IP address. The problem must have something to do with the app, because the Xfinity TV Go app, which allows streaming of TV shows and also does not usually work outside the USA, seems to be working fine with the VPN.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to billdz

MVM

to billdz
Here's a resource I highly recommend for firewalls and VPN learning overall.

Suggest contacting Comcast and/or whoever supports the app and seeing what help they can give you.

My 00000010bits

Regards