uniqs

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

So, Comcast has had their meter independantly audited... will Neflix?

Have they tested to be absolutely positively certain that an ISP blockade is the ONLY circumstance that can trigger a warning?
That their definition of ABNORMAL is in fact abnormal?
and are they willing to open it up for independent testing and analysis?
perhaps even pay for continuing oversight and public disclosure?
Cause right now it still looks like a "misleading PR stunt"
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Agreed, there is a lot more real data that NetFlix or even Level3 could release without violating non-disclosure aspects of their contracts.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

4 recommendations

pumpkinhead7 to tshirt

to tshirt
I dont see this as a PR stunt at all, I see this as a transparency measure. Anyone other than an ISP employee would see it the same way
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

I think that's the point, its lacking transparency and real supporting data.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

3 recommendations

pumpkinhead7

And an auditor paid for BY comcast is transparent? Please, comcast has been shown to be a greedy corporation that does not care about their customers. They have one of the lowest customer satisfaction rates in the country. I believe netflix any day over comcast.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Yet the evil corporation actually goes to the trouble of having a third party perform the audit and releases (at least for the last one) the basis (data) and audit report for public viewing.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
See, this bothers me
"That's how it works now, but Netflix may modify/tune as they continue to roll out and learn more.
Sort of like " it's not finished, may not even work correctly, but the first thing we'll do, is put up a billboard and accuse them of stalling"
rather then quietly informing the new "partner/signatory" that the interconnect is not yet up to the task.
it's the highly publicized part of the stunt that doesn't seem to be quite right.
masterbinky
join:2011-01-06
Carlsbad, NM

masterbinky

Some of their criteria is based on arbitrary set points, like what is "abnormally compressed". For credibility they want that to set that at a point where it still holds true that it's the trouble is on the ISP's end. They may even be conservative (a prudent decision when you begin pointing fingers) right now and have that value at a high level and then lower it later.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

MAYBE, it has yet to be shown what their exact methodology and assumptions are, but they don't seem to have chosen the conservative approach to anything else so far.
Perhaps they will reveal actual numbers rather then unsupported conclusions.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

Why should they when you have the last mile corp ISP vultures make them pay twice....
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

1 recommendation

dfxmatt to tshirt

to tshirt
Please. Do you even know anything about networking? It's very plausible that this is deliberate congestion and does not read at all like "PR stunt"

PlusOne
@50.182.54.x

PlusOne to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Have they tested to be absolutely positively certain that an ISP blockade is the ONLY circumstance that can trigger a warning?
That their definition of ABNORMAL is in fact abnormal?
and are they willing to open it up for independent testing and analysis?
perhaps even pay for continuing oversight and public disclosure?
Cause right now it still looks like a "misleading PR stunt"

Good point. People here demand that Comcast submit to federal regulators over their measurement claims. So where is the demand that Netflix do the same. Well???

Probitas
@206.248.154.x

Probitas to AVonGauss

Anon

to AVonGauss
So when a pharma company has a third party they pay for release documents stating their drug is safe even if others have tested and shown NOT safe, it gets approved and then kills people, that was reliable and not bought.

When any company doing any auditing has financial ties to the company they are auditing, that's a huge red flag in my book. Government institutions are supposed to be paid for by tax payers because it's in the publics interest, not private (again, stating what it should be, not what it likely is).
Expand your moderator at work
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to Probitas

Premium Member

to Probitas

Re: So, Comcast has had their meter independantly audited... will Neflix?

While I would actually tend to agree a paid for study or even audit deserves more scrutiny, I would hardly compare a bandwidth meter to a drug viability analysis. My point, which you seem to have ignored, is they also tend to release the supporting data. Did you read it and find an area that is suspicious?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by AVonGauss:

While I would actually tend to agree a paid for study or even audit deserves more scrutiny, I would hardly compare a bandwidth meter to a drug viability analysis. My point, which you seem to have ignored, is they also tend to release the supporting data. Did you read it and find an area that is suspicious?

Why don't you read the comments section of that article on this site? There are plenty of complaints about the methodology.

But more importantly, there's no way to confirm the data is accurate. The release of the report wasn't "trouble" for Comcast, it was a calculated PR move to bolster the argument for their merger.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

The released the first audit long before there was any TWC merger....
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt
And it's very plausible that this is not deliberate congestion but may be the fault of Netflix's service providers. Why are they never questioned, especially given Level 3 and Cogent's histories?

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
This is how it works...
1. manipulate data
2. provide said manipulated data to "independent 3rd party"
3. release report based on manipulated data
4. ???
5. profit
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

1 edit

dfxmatt to openbox9

to openbox9
They have probably been yelling at their service providers continually about this for it to actually come to a public spat.

Also see »www.techdirt.com/article ··· rs.shtml , which shows that this is 100% verizon.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to openbox9

to openbox9
Cogent has a horrible history, but Level 3, while not flawless, is a shining example of an ethical business.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt
That article doesn't show anything except for another outlet jumping on the "it's Verizon's fault" bandwagon.
openbox9

openbox9 to Bengie25

Premium Member

to Bengie25
Shining example of ethical business? Please, do tell.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Probitas

Premium Member

to Probitas
Nobody died here, MAYBE, at most, somebody pays a few extra a month until it get a hearing. MAYBE
RJARRRPCGP
join:2010-12-17
North Springfield, VT

RJARRRPCGP to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7
Skype does similar, too, even when it don't mention a specific ISP name in a warning message.
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7
(double post)