join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

After The ATT/DTV Merger Is Complete And If Its Approved

Which TV service will ATT keep?

UVerse TV

DTV

Both

Sorry I tried to do a poll but the multiple choice poll tags didn't work.

I also wasn't sure if this was already discussed in the news about the merger. If so mods can close this thread.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

From what I've read, with DirecTV, AT&T will gain a much better economy of scale for video content which will reduce their TV Network carriage fees for delivery. According to what they are telling Congress, they plan to use the money they save on video content with the quadrupling of subscribers to help subsidize the cost of fiber buildouts. I doubt it but it is a compelling story.

They won't get rid of U-verse TV. They also won't get rid of Satellite TV. They need the satellite subscriber base to offset their overall content costs. The hybrid model also improves their TV footprint to nearly 100% of the US. I think the question will be what they will do with the content and interface for either service. Will they eventually consolidate to a single standard source for video feeds using the same codecs and menu interface?

The deal has to officially pass through regulator approval and close first. Once that happens, I presume it will be at least 2-3 years before they are ready to do anything of that nature anyway.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

I forgot I think ATT said they were going to have new boxes and a new EPG if the merger is approved. Not sure how soon that would happen after the merger. Maybe that is what they will do first have the same boxes and EPG on both systems, see how that works then decide if they want to merge them onto one system?
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to Craiger

to Craiger
My guess is they'd keep both as use cases exist for both scenarios, but it'd probably limit U-verse TV expansion somewhat, since areas where the profitability was questionable they could just leave to DirecTV. Plus that also frees up bandwidth for their U-verse Internet. They'd no longer need to try to push marginal connections to U-verse TV when they can just offer DirecTV instead. You would hope they'd merge some of the hardware and software from both systems together though.

The idea of them pushing their fiber expansion like rolande said is exciting, but I'd also doubt it gets too far either. They're going to keep expanding on whatever is the most profitable, until fiber is more profitable I wouldn't count on them pushing it too much.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Craiger

Premium Member

to Craiger
said by Craiger:

Which TV service will ATT keep?

UVerse TV

DTV

Both

Sorry I tried to do a poll but the multiple choice poll tags didn't work.

I also wasn't sure if this was already discussed in the news about the merger. If so mods can close this thread.

Both for quite a while. Of course satellite is available everywhere, except where there is no southern sky access (e.g. blocked by a larger building or tree), so they won't be getting rid of that any time soon.

At some point in the future, they may start to streamline the packages and channel lineups with U-Verse, so they are the same, with the same amount of channels for the same amount of money....

But I would not expect any major changes for at least a year or two, while they work on the back end to merge their systems together. (billing, etc)

To give you another idea: My mother in-law still has an Adelphia box, and TWC took them over in 2008. Things don't change right away....
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

There will really be no getting away from ATT if they merge. The only other choices around here are Crapcast, and Dish (which is essentially the satellite version of Crapcast). I guess I should just learn to bow to the death star as my overlord.