Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Restore old home movies

The biggest issue is brightness and contrast problems from the original 8mm video .
1 short part were the video is going in revise
The Master VHS tape video is in great shape.

is there anyway to fix it?

I also want to change the audio possibly with Audio commentary and/or new audio track

Since EXTRA HIGH GRADE was used and SP mode
and the tape was stored correctly

the tape has not been touched since the mid 90s

I transferring to a high grade DVD-R once the re-edit is done for corrections etc...
I also hear using low recording speed causes less errors down the road. but I'll also keep a copy on my hard drive and a back up hard drive

I watched the whole tape and everything looks good.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

Any decent video editing software should be able to do color/contrast/brightness adjustment/corrections on the video.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

Any decent video editing software should be able to do color/contrast/brightness adjustment/corrections on the video.

I noticed needs some slight Time Base Correction issue . I'll see what my other VCR with Svideo can do with a passive TBC

It looked fine on play back but the TBC did not record to the DVD so i'll have to do a passive setup.

I'll use a LCD I think the overscan on the TV is why I did not see it

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

3 edits

Jan Janowski to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
First, get the best film to tape transfer you can. In your case, it is already on tape.

Also sounds like you don't have a TBC or Frame Sync on your VHS... It would be nice if you could adjust the video prior to capture, so your Color Corrector has less work to do.

What Aspect ratio do you expect to play it back on? You might be best doing a modified PillarBox format for a 16x9 screen. If you keep a 4x3 aspect during post, your DVD should be able to playback PillarBox format, or, worst case, the TV could change aspect ratio.

Sounds like you had a linear film to video transfer, not a logarithmic transfer....

Your best be is to stretch the lower portion of video.... You'll need a Color Corrector with curves... and you stretch the lower 30-40%... You might compress the whites, too, compressing 85-100 to about 95%. This way you could 'push' the video in darker areas without hitting a clipper too hard.

On top of this correction, do a Color temperature swing... and with the combination of the two, you should be good to go...

Upload a 5-8 second piece of it, and I'll show you the results.....

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
i am suspecting that you are using a high quality VHS deck to transfer your content to digital medium.
in this case, you would be better transferring the content with minimal processing from the VHS deck to a "master" media file and work with the master copy.
i for one would definitely use the TBC from the VHS deck but any other signal processing that would affect the quality of the picture, i would not use unless the feature can reduce "drop outs".

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

the top of the screen has a slight wave to it

I need to get a few svideo cable first
I tested the play back on my Philips SVHS player and it corrected the wavy lines.

Should I use my Sony dvd recorder GX-300 or panasonic DVD recorder?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Anonymous_

Mod

to Anonymous_
Is this tape digital? If not, how are you converting it?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
use whichever DVD recorder has the best record quality settings.
try not to play the VHS tape too many times, especially if its old.
the coating may start coming off the tape during playback.
additionally, you dont really need expensive S video cable if the length of the cable is under 3 feet, but i choose to use highly shielded cable anyway with my conversions.
Expand your moderator at work

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

2 edits

Anonymous_ to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

Re: Restore old home movies

said by EliteData:

use whichever DVD recorder has the best record quality settings.
try not to play the VHS tape too many times, especially if its old.
the coating may start coming off the tape during playback.
additionally, you dont really need expensive S video cable if the length of the cable is under 3 feet, but i choose to use highly shielded cable anyway with my conversions.

I'm not super worried since it's Extra high grade and I all ready made a copy of the original.
if anything goes wrong it's not a big deal