uniqs

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

[Connectivity] connectivity during power outages?

wanting to see what the general experience is on your cable service staying up during power outages. we just had a ~30 minute power outage here, that was preceded by a few 10-15 second cuts a few minutes beforehand. all my network equipment is on a battery backup, and it worked - everything here stayed on. but during each outage, we immediately lost service. at the end of the 30 minute one, internet service was restored right when the power came back on, and things are back to normal now.

from my reading recently, i though a lot of the pole equipment & what not were supposed to have battery backups in them? so that at least service would stay on for a few minutes or so?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by train_wreck:

wanting to see what the general experience is on your cable service staying up during power outages. we just had a ~30 minute power outage here, that was preceded by a few 10-15 second cuts a few minutes beforehand. all my network equipment is on a battery backup, and it worked - everything here stayed on. but during each outage, we immediately lost service. at the end of the 30 minute one, internet service was restored right when the power came back on, and things are back to normal now.

The last time I had an extended power outage (during Superstorm Sandy), my cable services continued to work for about 2 hours before they failed.
said by train_wreck:

from my reading recently, i thought a lot of the pole equipment & what not were supposed to have battery backups in them? so that at least service would stay on for a few minutes or so?

There have been some previous (recent) threads that have also discussed this:

»Storm Comng - What Backup DOes CC Have for Voice?

»[Connectivity] lose power, lose service?

»[CDV] Connectivity during power outage....

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck

right, i even posted in that last one. thanks for keeping me in check. lol

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by train_wreck:

right, i even posted in that last one. thanks for keeping me in check. lol

Yes, I did see that.

Then again, given the experiences with Sandy, there may have been some improvements made in many areas in providing extended operation during power outages:

»FCC Holds Sandy Hearing
System

to train_wreck

Anon

to train_wreck
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course