how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oldaarpy

join:2014-05-24
USA

New wiring?

I'm getting 3.36/.80 Mbps at the modem and 2.8/.72 (avg) from Speedtest! The wiring is the old r/g/y from circa 1968. Would it be worth it to upgrade to cat 5? If so, what could I expect?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
Do you have any equipment to test the cabling in the house yourself? As I like to say, if you don't have a baseline,
and any means to measure a baseline for [insert here], you don't have any right to complain about getting better.

My 00000010bits

Regards

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Oldaarpy
Does your NID have a test jack? If so, connect there and compare, then report the results. If the connections are clean, and the condition is good, the age of the wire is not an issue. How the house is wired, could be an issue. A dedicated run from the NID to the modem will usually provide the best connection. Cat3 cable is all that is necessary for phone wiring, but Cat5e is probably easier to get.

Oldaarpy

USA
reply to Oldaarpy
Yes! The NID has a test jack! Connect what there? The modem? The main line comes into the house and at the 'pegs' it splits with one wire dedicated to the branch the modem is on and the other branch services 3 jacks (kit. Lr, Br). The modem hardwires in a printer/fax and there is also a cordless phone which plugs into the printer/fax!

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
plug in the modem there and see if the speeds improve, if they don't, fixing the wiring will do nothing for you and you have another issue somewhere else

Oldaarpy

USA
Modem at --

end of house at NID

DwS speed
3360 3360

UpS speed

768 832

SNR DS

20 db 19 db

SNR US

10bd 9 db

Atten DS

49 db 48 db

Atten US

31 db 31 db

Power DS

19.8 dBm 15.7 dBm

Power US

11.9 dBm 11.9 dBm

Of course I have no idea what all this means! Tom

Oldaarpy

USA
I should explain that "at end of house" is where the modem usually sets -- about 65 ft from the NID! Tom

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
it means there is nothing wrong with your wiring

Oldaarpy

USA
Just what I wanted to hear! Then I could expect no gain by upgrading the wiring! Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to answer before I waste my time and money! Tom

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by Oldaarpy:

Then I could expect no gain by upgrading the wiring!

Correct - plugging the modem into the NID test jack disconnects inside wiring/equipment - so it no longer has any effect. Bad inside wiring can only make things worse compared to signal at the NID, cannot make it better.

/tom

Oldaarpy

USA
That makes sense! Thank you! Tom