uniqs

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Please help a new Android phone user

Seems like every App from the play store I want to install wants permission to access every possible piece of data from the phone and no easy way to say no. Am I missing some hidden feature? I haven't been installing them because I don't think "Tune In Radio" needs access to my identity, contacts/calendar, location, photos/media/files, DeviceID & call information.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Yeah and they sell the info too. Welcome to Android.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Tried an App called SnoopWall. Can block applications permissions to a certain extent. Just started trying it. My new phone doesn't have an FM radio natively, so wanted to load TuneIn.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
You might have a look at Advanced Permission Manager. I can confirm the free and paid versions work on all three of our Android devices. The app doesn't require root but, personally, I'd never run an Android device without root.

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· er&hl=en
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to beck

to beck
said by beck:

care to share where you got this?
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to beck

to beck
said by beck:

Yes where did you see that? all the apps i have installed since android existed and not once have they sold my info. For one google does not ALLOW IT.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Check out any apps you are interested in by using Appbrain. Unlike Play, they have a list called "concern" which does show permissions required before you download an app. The site is legit - it rates the app, but you download from either Google or Amazon yourself.

Here's a link for Spotify on Appbrain. Check the concerns.
»www.appbrain.com/apps/ho ··· d-audio/
I didn't like it when Google redid Play and took Permissions off the front page for the app.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to GLIMMER

MVM

to GLIMMER
How do you know they have not sold data? You would never know if they did as they would not tell you. Just because they said they won't - does not mean they don't.

Very likely Apple does the same thing as well.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by CylonRed:

How do you know they have not sold data? You would never know if they did as they would not tell you. Just because they said they won't - does not mean they don't.

Very likely Apple does the same thing as well.

You can sue Google and the developer if they do...

»play.google.com/about/de ··· icy.html

They can probably sell publicly available data but not data privately collected.

Key words here are "privately collected".

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Ian1

MVM

to Ian1
Now, tell me why they need my contacts etc etc etc if they are not selling the data? Really. The gov only does things that are good "for the children" too.

Read what the app permissions are really for. 99.9% of the apps have permissions they don't have to have.

Location data. Oh, it's only to serve you ads for you locality. Right. Do you think most of the app writers have giant servers with ads? No. They send YOUR data to services. They get PAID for this. You simply have to open your eyes on this.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
Cool site. TY

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to Ian1

to Ian1
This app is otherwise what free. Developers want enumeration for their work. Streaming music has to pay the bills. So to keep your expense down they sell demographics. Contacts info is often used to match your listening with that of friends.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to beck

Premium Member

to beck
said by beck:

And you think Apple doesn't??? THey are just sneakier and don't tell you what any of the apps are doing. At least Android tells you and lets you decide.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
I'm not sure about contacts - although if you are running a call/sms blocker, that would need a list.

I have one app that does really not use the phone, but checks to see if you are using it so it doesn't interrupt your conversation with a download. The developer posted the info in specs for the app, before you bought it. That is appreciated.

A reliable developer should explain why some apps need off the wall permissions.

Google might be collecting for advertising - starting a new type of location service available with next update.
»www.androidpolice.com/20 ··· -around/

Google keeps asking for phone number - they have it in Play so I can DL apps.
I'm not giving to them again.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
App's permissions are really not a big deal. When you look into it you will usually find why they need these permissions. For example, any app that will allow you to share some result will need access to your contacts.

I just checked the app and it clearly mentions being able to share music lists with your contacts. I have no doubt if you look at it's other features that all the permissions would make sense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that apps won't hide what they access. You may never use a certain feature that will require that it access certain information but it still needs to disclose that it's possible.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by tcope:

App's permissions are really not a big deal. When you look into it you will usually find why they need these permissions. For example, any app that will allow you to share some result will need access to your contacts.

I just checked the app and it clearly mentions being able to share music lists with your contacts. I have no doubt if you look at it's other features that all the permissions would make sense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that apps won't hide what they access. You may never use a certain feature that will require that it access certain information but it still needs to disclose that it's possible.

Pretty much this. No need to fear-monger with regards to permissions. They are there for usually extremely transparent reasons. Most (not all obviously) developers are pretty clear with their permissions and their reasons. A lot of them have no issues clearing them up if there's confusion.

As for whether or not your information is being sold....you would be completely naive to believe that any of these companies (including Apple) are not sharing your information. If you are on the Internet, your information is not secure. No amount of permission handling is going to change that.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Guess I am just paranoid. Really liking the Android after my older Blackberry Torch though.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to medbuyer

MVM

to medbuyer
First you have to know they are selling it to be able to sue and the chances of you knowing that can be nil... just because you can sue doe snot prevent a company from doing what they can be sued for... There is a crap load of proof of this every year across many companies.

QFDL
@166.147.104.x

QFDL to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
Just like any other computing device, being aware and practicing safe hex is key to security. In the case of free apps, I just assume trading my information, as well as advertising, is how the developer is being compensated. The apps cost so little I buy the paid versions of the ones I like and plan to use. As for privacy, IMO, carrier bloatware is probably a bigger privacy concern than 90% of the stuff in Google Play. If the Canadian carriers are like their US counterparts, the devices are loaded with it nearly all of the bloat can't be deleted and most can't be turned off in the app manager. Root is required to remove it. Regardless, in this day and age, using the internet is akin to standing naked in a street facing window with a bag over your head. The really ignorant users remove their bag and never turn out the light.

There is one permission that can make a tangible difference if you are able to deny it. That is 'run at start-up'. While not a big deal for apps you use all of the time, loading many apps you use rarely or not at all is a drag on resources and battery life. With proper management, a charge can go much, much further.

As for BB, I was a die-hard BB user and must admit I now know why they are on death watch. I still have my Z10 and occasionally swap the sim and power it up if I'm having a problem and trying to isolate it to either the phone or network. I'd probably go to *gasp* iOS before going back to BB.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by beck:

And you think Apple doesn't??? THey are just sneakier and don't tell you what any of the apps are doing. At least Android tells you and lets you decide.

Actually iOS does tell you and asks for permission to use other info such as contacts and location.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Guess I am just paranoid. Really liking the Android after my older Blackberry Torch though.

Oh dear God, man. Allow me to offer you a hearty welcome out of the stone age.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

said by Hayward0:

said by beck:

Actually iOS does tell you and asks for permission to use other info such as contacts and location.

Maybe some things do but I can't recall it. And Apps I have on both platforms, Android tells much more if iOS anything. Especially at updates. Occasionally I will see it in a description buried, But its not an obvious pop up list the you must accept like Android.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Oh dear God, man. Allow me to offer you a hearty welcome out of the stone age.

Stone age of paranoia or of using a Blackberry Torch?

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
I just tried to resuscitate an old BB Pearl Flip. Just looking thru the phone - the organization is a helluva lot better than what's on my Nexus 4.