Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII

Re: [Channels] Channel changes 8/1

Oh sweet God..please tell me they aren't putting those "This channel has moved to" into the guide. They stick around for 5 months! LOL.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing Jeep, good thing some channels are being moved into slots where one was, so those will be alright.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I see that phrase in my guide but as I scroll, it skips right over it, so it doesn't bother me.

Also, we had Cooking Channel and Bein Sport as favorites 1 and they still show up as favorites 1 but with the new numbers. I did not have to manually update my favorites, so I'm happy.

BTW, I have the VMS equipment, which is still running build number 01.99c SIT, though others in my area posted that they apparently were upgraded a few weeks ago.
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390 to dfwguy

to dfwguy
I'm just wondering, is this a difficult change to implement. Considering the guide listings that show OnDemand offerings etc. which are constantly changing week to week, why would it take so long to put this through. Verizon did a good job of notifying everyone it was coming, so it can't be to cut down on CSR calls - what could possibly causing this to roll out so slow? I really expected it on August 1st -

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

We were certainly given plenty of time, I don't understand the delay either other than the usual Verizon delays, but at least we do know some people got it, so they are just being slow as usual

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

From being a Technology Release Manager myself, I have to believe it's simply VZ's corporate methodology to roll out production changes on a staggered basis.

Is it conservative? Yes. But if by chance the channel map update was corrupt, they'd only have 1 or 2 VHO's to back out instead of 15 (or is it 16 now?? LOL).
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

Matt - that could be the reason. I think it has more to do with trying to limit the number of phone calls they're going to get, even with a successful roll-out. By staggering the roll-out you probably don't need to have any additional techs available to field phone calls from customers who either ignored the notifications that they got, or didn't understand what they meant. Yeah... pretty conservative way to do business, but it strikes me that this is more of an effort to mitigate phone calls than it is to minimize the chance for disruption.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Is it conservative? Yes. But if by chance the channel map update was corrupt, they'd only have 1 or 2 VHO's to back out instead of 15

This is the norm for Communications/Technology companies including the two I have worked for..
chewypgh
join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

chewypgh to dfwguy

to dfwguy
Pittsburgh made the switch.
flatron
join:2014-02-27

1 edit

flatron to dfwguy

to dfwguy
Going through the revised channel list, even with these latest channel number swaps, there are still a number of inconsistencies in FiOS's channel numbering:

-----

568 - WGN America's SD slot varies by area instead of being on 68
The SD channel is slotted in with the local channels, as the SD channel is available in the FiOS Local TV package, but the HD channel is in the "Entertainment" channel range, as it requires Preferred HD.

Suggestion: Move WGN America SD to 68 for consistency.

-----

131/631 - FiOS Learning on SD slot; Velocity on HD slot
Channel 131 is particularly annoying as they've changed it to a VoD channel; however, if you're channel surfing past it, it stops at the channel and loads the learning widget, which you must exit before you can continue channel surfing. If they must keep 131 and in a similar range, I don't see why it couldn't be 135, 136, 137 or 138, which wouldn't overlap with an HD allocation.

Suggestion: Remove 131 altogether, as it's now only a VoD channel. Or at least move it to 135, 136, 137 or 138.

-----

235/735 - SundanceTV on SD slot, but Sony Movie Channel on HD slot
This overlap stems from the fact that Verizon has run out of slots in their "Movie" channel range (i.e. 230-239).

246/746 - FamilyNet on SD slot; HDNet Movies on HD slot
Again, this overlap stems from the fact that Verizon has run out of slots in their "Movie" channel range (i.e. 230-239), so they've put HDNet Movies into their "Family" channel range (i.e. 240-249). Still, 242, 243, 248 and 249 aren't occupied by an SD "Family" channel, so I don't see why they didn't use those slots instead of one which already has an SD channel on it. FamilyNet has an HD channel, so if they ever decide to add it, they'll have a conflict.

Suggestion: Move and consolidate the "Family" group of channels to 245-249, so that the movie range has a larger range (i.e. 230-244). Sony Movie channel can be 740, MGM HD can be 741, HDNet Movies can be 742. 243/743 and 244/744 can be spare slots for either additional "Family" or "Movie" channels, allowing for both the "Family" and "Movie" channels to be contiguous, even with two additional channels.

-----

780 - Disney Channel's HD slot is 30 slots higher than its SD counterpart (250)
This issue occurred originally because Disney Channel's proper HD channel number (i.e. 750) was in the range reserved for HD only channels (i.e. 750-749). However, this range is no longer reserved for HD only channels, so there's no reason not to move it back to 750. More recent HD adds in this range (i.e. Nick HD [752] and Cartoon Network HD [757]) ignore this former reserved range and have the proper +500 channel number.

281/781 - Sino TV on SD slot; Disney XD on HD slot
Same as Disney Channel HD above.

259/789 - JUCE TV on SD slot; Hub Network on HD slot

Suggestion: Move the HD channel numbers for Disney Channel, Disney XD and Hub Network down by 30 to match their SD counterparts (i.e. 750, 751 and 759 respectively).

-----

310/810 - ESPN Classic on SD slot; MAVTV on HD slot
There's no reason why this conflict needs to exist. Free slots exist in the "Premium Sports" range on 312, 314, 318, 319, 321-329, 332-334 and 336-339.

Suggestion: Move one of the channels to one of the empty slots mentioned above.

-----

313 - Gol TV
Gol TV has been moved into its own package, so it should move to the "Subscription Sports" range (i.e. 1006-1499).

Suggestion: Move Gol TV to a channel number in the "Subscription Sports" range.

-----

899 - HBO (east)
HBO HD (east) is 1 slot lower than its SD counterpart (400) so that a VoD channel can be in the 900 slot.

Suggestion: Swap the VoD channel with HBO HD (east) so that it can be consistent with its SD counterpart.

-----

Ideally, I would prefer for the SD and HD channels to exist on the same channel numbers where the STB would automatically load the HD version of the channel if the STB is HD compatible. A button to switch between the SD and HD streams can be assigned on the remote in case the viewer prefers the SD channel for some reason (e.g. HD channel is not working or HD channel is doing a non-linear stretch of 4:3 content, etc.)

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

4 edits

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

5 Out of 12 Changes in VHO8

Just woke up - looks like only 5 of the 12 changes were made here in Delaware.

Cooking
FXX
OWN
Fit & Health
beIN HD

The other 7 moves have not been made. Not sure if they ran into an issue - or decided to split them over 2 nights.

NYCDave - any feedback?

Also, it's good I know about the changes. Right now on the VMS units - for instance Cooking HD, 663 in the guide is just a big ole blank row with a "TV" as the icon, the full listings are still on 667 but you can't access it. Thinking some recordings might get screwed up today. Baby steps! Who was it that asked why don't they do the whole country on the same day? LOL. It definitely did not go smoothly here.

*Edit* - Yep, every series recording that was set for today into the future on Cooking HD is temporarily out of the scheduled list.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

No changes yet in VHO7.
flatron
join:2014-02-27

flatron to dfwguy

to dfwguy

Perhaps the moving of Cooking Channel from 667 is to allow for DIY HD on 667?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to flatron

Premium Member

to flatron
said by flatron:

Going through the revised channel list, even with these latest channel number swaps, there are still a number of inconsistencies in FiOS's channel numbering:

-----

568 - WGN America's SD slot varies by area instead of being on 68
The SD channel is slotted in with the local channels, as the SD channel is available in the FiOS Local TV package, but the HD channel is in the "Entertainment" channel range, as it requires Preferred HD.

Suggestion: Move WGN America SD to 68 for consistency.

-----

131/631 - FiOS Learning on SD slot; Velocity on HD slot
Channel 131 is particularly annoying as they've changed it to a VoD channel; however, if you're channel surfing past it, it stops at the channel and loads the learning widget, which you must exit before you can continue channel surfing. If they must keep 131 and in a similar range, I don't see why it couldn't be 135, 136, 137 or 138, which wouldn't overlap with an HD allocation.

Suggestion: Remove 131 altogether, as it's now only a VoD channel. Or at least move it to 135, 136, 137 or 138.

-----

235/735 - SundanceTV on SD slot, but Sony Movie Channel on HD slot
This overlap stems from the fact that Verizon has run out of slots in their "Movie" channel range (i.e. 230-239).

246/746 - FamilyNet on SD slot; HDNet Movies on HD slot
Again, this overlap stems from the fact that Verizon has run out of slots in their "Movie" channel range (i.e. 230-239), so they've put HDNet Movies into their "Family" channel range (i.e. 240-249). Still, 242, 243, 248 and 249 aren't occupied by an SD "Family" channel, so I don't see why they didn't use those slots instead of one which already has an SD channel on it. FamilyNet has an HD channel, so if they ever decide to add it, they'll have a conflict.

Suggestion: Move and consolidate the "Family" group of channels to 245-249, so that the movie range has a larger range (i.e. 230-244). Sony Movie channel can be 740, MGM HD can be 741, HDNet Movies can be 742. 243/743 and 244/744 can be spare slots for either additional "Family" or "Movie" channels, allowing for both the "Family" and "Movie" channels to be contiguous, even with two additional channels.

-----

780 - Disney Channel's HD slot is 30 slots higher than its SD counterpart (250)
This issue occurred originally because Disney Channel's proper HD channel number (i.e. 750) was in the range reserved for HD only channels (i.e. 750-749). However, this range is no longer reserved for HD only channels, so there's no reason not to move it back to 750. More recent HD adds in this range (i.e. Nick HD [752] and Cartoon Network HD [757]) ignore this former reserved range and have the proper +500 channel number.

281/781 - Sino TV on SD slot; Disney XD on HD slot

259/789 - JUCE TV on SD slot; Hub Network on HD slot

Suggestion: Move the HD channel numbers for Disney Channel, Disney XD and Hub Network down by 30 to match their SD counterparts (i.e. 750, 751 and 759 respectively).

-----

310/810 - ESPN Classic on SD slot; MAVTV on HD slot
There's no reason why this conflict needs to exist. Free slots exist in the "Premium Sports" range on 312, 314, 318, 319, 321-329, 332-334 and 336-339.

Suggestion: Move one of the channels to one of the empty slots mentioned above.

-----

313 - Gol TV
Gol TV has been moved into its own package, so it should move to the "Subscription Sports" range (i.e. 1006-1499).

Suggestion: Move Gol TV to a channel number in the "Subscription Sports" range.

-----

899 - HBO (east)
HBO HD (east) is 1 slot lower than its SD counterpart (400) so that a VoD channel can be in the 900 slot.

Suggestion: Swap the VoD channel with HBO HD (east) so that it can be consistent with its SD counterpart.

-----

Ideally, I would prefer for the SD and HD channels to exist on the same channel numbers where the STB would automatically load the HD version of the channel if the STB is HD compatible. A button to switch between the SD and HD streams can be assigned on the remote in case the viewer prefers the SD channel for some reason (e.g. HD channel is not working or HD channel is doing a non-linear stretch of 4:3 content, etc.)

It's just a number. Whether it's channel 10, channel 100, or channel 1000 I really don't care. I don't know the channel number for probably 90% of the channels I watch. i don't need to know them.

I put the channels in my favorites list and look at the guide. Setup my season passes for recordings and just look through the guide to see what's on. I don't care what channel number something is on. It makes no difference what the channel number is. The only time I would even go through the channel numbers is when setting up my favorites, beyond that, i have no use for them.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to dfwguy

to dfwguy
Nothing in VHO5. Westchester/Rockland.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

VHO5 has the changes today after the 10AM guide data update.....

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

2 edits

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

So just performed a guide refresh on my IP box (thanks Dave for the 10am reminder) -

Channels are now updated as I mentioned earlier for the 5 I listed..and the scheduled recordings are back to being fine.

However, the guide is also showing now that Outdoor HD moved as planned to 807 - but it's actually still on 591. Maybe it was their goal to do half of them?

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

VHO5 has the changes today after the 10AM guide data update.....

Wow, that's a first, channels moving after 10AM? I checked this morning at 6AM and none were moved yet.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
The guide data has the channel moves, but some of the VC's haven't moved yet. This is still a work in progress.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Ahh, mine haven't moved yet. They aren't doing the whole VHO at once? Won't the guide data have the wrong channels then for the VC's that haven't moved?
matcarl

matcarl to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

The guide data has the channel moves, but some of the VC's haven't moved yet. This is still a work in progress.

What a disaster. I went home at lunch and see the guide has all the new changes, but the channels didn't move. So it says Discovery Fit & Health but it's really OWN. This will screw up a lot of people's recordings, they will be recording the wrong channels, not to mention someone who is just sitting down to watch their normal shows, only to find they are on the wrong channel. How could they change the guide without changing the channels?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

My thinking - there's a lot more channel maps that have to be updated for the larger VHO's...and also the respective VC moves. But alas, this is definitely not how they wanted it to go, i'm sure..

Also, we've seen in the past the EPG team gets ahead of the VHO engineers w/o warning.

Now back to funny thing here - where Cooking Channel SD used to be on 166 - in the guide it has the moved message, but the channel name is MASN2 HD - a channel only here in Delaware we don't get (MD/VA get it). Foreshadowing maybe?? LOL
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to flatron

to flatron
said by flatron:

WGN America SD is part of the Local package, so it belongs in that range. The HD version isn't, so it should be up higher. My guess is that Tribune requires WGN America to be in the limited basic package as a condition of carrying their broadcast stations.

131 is used as a test channel for CableCard, since it's the only copy-protected channel that is part of every package.

If we're talking a major reorganization, I'd take everything from 550-569 and put them in the high 600s with other channels that show comedies and dramas. Move TV Land and BET down there too. Move the kids channels into the 550-569 range so they're near the locals and easier for kids to find.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

My thinking - there's a lot more channel maps that have to be updated for the larger VHO's...and also the respective VC moves. But alas, this is definitely not how they wanted it to go, i'm sure..

Also, we've seen in the past the EPG team gets ahead of the VHO engineers w/o warning.

Comcast seems to do this stuff without it blowing up on them.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

1 edit

thetick

said by Greg2600:

said by SeattleMatt:

Comcast seems to do this stuff without it blowing up on them.

Many companies have incompetent program managers. It's pretty clear Verizon Engineering is above average and project management is certainly near the bottom.
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390 to dfwguy

to dfwguy
In VHO5 looks like they just backed out the channel changes to what the original line-up was. Clearly they realized the way it was would cause problems, not to mention angry calls. I give them credit for recognizing the problem and holding off on this until they can get it right.

As to my earlier post as to why it was delayed and if it is a difficult thing to implement, I guess what is happening today answers both.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I was just going to post the exact same thing Robert. They put the guide back. I don't know why they changed it to begin with if the channels didn't change.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Re: [Channels] Re: Channel changes 8/1

Has anyone noticed that once the channels are at their new positions, that IF the FIOS Mobile App also lists them at their new locations?

I only asked because the relocations have not taken place on VHO7, yet. And I thought, once the channels are switched, shouldn't they be labeled as such in the app.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to matcarl

to matcarl

Don't forget that the guide is handled by Tribune now. Any changes have to go through them. All of the bogus 'channel moved' entries in the guide are also coming from Tribune. They're showing up in Windows Media Center (which uses data from Tribune also), but at least they're easy to hide in WMC. Would imagine that Tivo users are also seeing them too since the Tivo guide also comes from Tribune.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to webcobbler

to webcobbler

Re: [Channels] Re: Channel changes 8/1

said by webcobbler:

Has anyone noticed that once the channels are at their new positions, that IF the FIOS Mobile App also lists them at their new locations?

I only asked because the relocations have not taken place on VHO7, yet. And I thought, once the channels are switched, shouldn't they be labeled as such in the app.

The mobile app numbers have not yet changed although the STB channels have changed in my VHO.