All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Time Out
@tnt6.myrtle-beach.sc

Time Out to eburger68

Anon

to eburger68

Re: IE6 and Cookies (Here we go again...)

Eric,
It is not cast in concrete..but the lid is on the box.
Do you have any comment or information to share?????

The Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P) enables Web sites to express their privacy practices in a standard format that can be retrieved automatically and interpreted easily by user agents. P3P user agents will allow users to be informed of site practices (in both machine- and human-readable formats) and to automate decision-making based on these practices when appropriate. Thus users need not read the privacy policies at every site they visit.

The Draft
»www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-P3 ··· 0010928/
The Platform for Privacy Preferences 1.0 (P3P1.0) Specification
W3C Working Draft 28 September 2001

The Latest
»www.w3.org/TR/P3P/
The Platform for Privacy Preferences 1.0 (P3P1.0) Specification
W3C Proposed Recommendation 28 January 2002

One of the products.

»www.alphaworks.ibm.com/t ··· 3peditor

Update: February 21, 2002
Bug fix for compact policy generation; files generated are now compatible with the P3P Proposed Recommendation.
What is P3P Policy Editor?
The IBM P3P Policy Editor is a visual tool, with an easy-to-use interface, for creating a Web site's privacy policy in the P3P language, which can be interpreted by Web browsers and other user agents that support the Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P) specification from the W3C. P3P allows users to automate the acceptance or rejection of a Web site's requests for information, based on user preferences set in browsers or client devices. Users are assured that their privacy is protected without having to read each Web site's privacy policy.

Comments on P3P-Policy-Editor
»www.alphaworks.ibm.com/f ··· Document

"Another Microsoft con"

"Why bother with this java platform ? microsoft do not support it and they WON the browser war people."

Opt-out
"When using the template that collects user information for contact details I cant find anywhere to select and Opt-in or Opt out option for that data collection as I need to specify for 3rd party cookies.

Do I need to manually change the compact policy adding 'i' or 'o' to each entry."

__________________________________________________________--

Thanks you for all your information>
eburger68
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28

eburger68

Premium Member

Time Out:

You asked:
said by Time Out:
Eric,
It is not cast in concrete..but the lid is on the box.
Do you have any comment or information to share?????

Thanks you for all your information>

Errrm...I guess I'm not sure sure just what you wanted me to comment on. The latest draft of P3P? IBM's P3P Policy Editor (which I haven't had time to play around with)? The comment about this being just "another Microsoft con"?

One observation about these policy editors: having looked at a few of them, I note that so many of them are presented as simply tools to generate yet another web page element that will allow cookies to be accepted by IE 6.0 users. In other words, IE 6.0's implementation of P3P is regarded as just another low hurdle on the way to setting cookies on users. The problem is presented as one of generating a compact policy that will allow the cookies to be set, not as one of a company's underlying privacy practices.

But those are just random observations.

Eric L. Howes