uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo

Time Machine - Problem connecting to server

Click for full size
A few days ago, I got the (apparently somewhat common) Time Machine "Time Machine Completed a Verification" error message. I let it create new backups.
Today, I got the error message in the image above, despite the fact that my Time Capsule is being seen in my WiFi network. (there was a green dot showing next to Time Capsule obscured in the image)
Any ideas? (getting very frustrated with products that should "just work")

Thanks!

EDIT - rebooting Time Capsule resolved issue.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

.... Time Capsule is being seen in my WiFi network. (there was a green dot showing next to Time Capsule obscured in the image) ... Any ideas? (getting very frustrated with products that should "just work")

I had the same issue, Time Machine Frequent "Start New Backup"

I called AppleCare, and was told TM is very sensitive to any transmission errors. Connecting TC via ethernet cured the problem for me as well as for many in the thread referenced above.

Apple told me that an error in the backup files may not be detected until the errantly saved file in the backup set is accessed again. Then, the entire backup is deemed corrupted and TM wants to re-create it. I had this problem 2 years ago, and have not had a TM failure since I ethernet connected my TCs.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by TamaraB:

I called AppleCare, and was told TM is very sensitive to any transmission errors. Connecting TC via ethernet cured the problem for me...

Kind of defeats the purpose of the "all in one" (WiFi+Drive) Time Capsule, no?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by haroldo:

Kind of defeats the purpose of the "all in one" (WiFi+Drive) Time Capsule, no?

Not really. My TC provides WIFI to the house, but backups are handled via ethernet.

I live in an urban area where radio interference is bad. When I owned a TV, I would regularly hear cabs and high-power CB radios spilling over into the TV sound and picture. While the interference was intermittent, I can only imagine what havoc it could produce on a sensitive WIFI link.

To this day, I occasionally lose connectivity to my WIFI connected MacBook. Connection looks good, but no coms to the network until I stop and restart WIFI on the MacBook. I suspect radio interference is the cause.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Just got it again.
Not happy

spinJR
what exit?
join:2002-01-07

spinJR to haroldo

to haroldo
I gave up on my time machine, it is utter garbage.

I use SuperDuper and an external hard drive now. Clone and done.

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari to TamaraB

to TamaraB
I have had the same problems - I lived in a few places in the city where I could be 10 feet from the router and still had to resort to ethernet due to interference and instability. It really was a royal pain in the ass.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Not in city, no interference (that I know of)

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari

I assume you've tried this »support.apple.com/kb/HT3728 . Also, if you haven't, change the channel used by the network (find the least-occupied channel with tools here »www.maketecheasier.com/f ··· channel/ )
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

www.maketecheasier.com/find-best···channel/

When I read that I thought - cool tool I didn't know was buried in there.
When I try with 10.9 I don't have the options displayed as shown in tutorial - only the basic Diagnostic tool & nothing more...
Am I missing something?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Epilogue...
After, yet another in a long series of Time Machine failures, I called Apple and complained. I asked if I was the only one who had this problem, and he said yes...so I figured, maybe the hardware is defective (Time Capsule).
I went to store and in ten minutes (after waiting for 50 minutes for my appointment) I got a new backup drive.