spc
Search similar:

uniqs
a320
join:2014-06-07

a320

Teksavvy and Freephoneline.ca

Hi,

For the past 2 years I've been using freephoneline.ca service with no problem. My ATA is an Obihai100 with FPL on SP1 and Google Voice on SP2. My configuration was Bell Fibe with the 2Wire Modem/Router.

Last week I switched to Teksavvy. I'm using a Thompson DCM476 modem (STAC 2.50 firmware) along with a Linksys Wireless-G Router WRT54GC. Now I have problems. When I reboot the Obi100, the service works for 5-10 minutes. After that, it's impossible to call my freephoneline.ca number. Callers get silence followed by a fast beep (fast busy signal). The Google Voice on SP2 works fine, and I can reach the OBI using the obitalk network.

I manage another Obi110 using the obitalk network (for my Dad), and I have the same configuration for FPL. He's using Bell Fibe, and that account has no problems.

I read on older posts that one should forward ports, but other users said that it's unnecessary.

Any idea of what the fix could be?

Thanks!

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Forwarding ports will be your best bet. Calling out but not being able to receive calls is a tell-tale sign your ATA's being blocked by NAT from outside traffic.

Enabling UPnP is another solution.

If your FPL has a STUN server, you can use STUN instead of either options above as well.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to a320

Premium Member

to a320
You're correct that forwarding ports is a security risk. I'd rather not see you do that, unless things absolutely won't work any other way.

Please verify that you have set the following, and set it if not:

Voice Services >> SP1 Service >> SP1 Service:
X_KeepAliveEnable: (Checked)
X_KeepAliveExpires: 15

Let us know whether or not this solves the problem.
said by TypeS:

If your FPL has a STUN server, you can use STUN instead of either options above as well.

STUN is for equipment behind NAT to determine its public IP address. It won't prevent a NAT hole from closing.

m.
TheIceMaster
join:2002-08-31
Delson, QC

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheIceMaster to a320

to a320
+1 what Mango said but I'd add that, if you are using OBiTALK to provision your device, this needs to be set in the "OBi Expert Configuration" of the OBiTALK portal or it will most likely be reset on the next automatic provision.

Basically, the WRT54GC is closing the connection after a duration (5-10 mins by your description) shorter than your SIP registration expiry as set in the OBi and your 2Wire simply acted differently in that matter.
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin to a320

to a320
If UPnP is enable, try to disable it. It causes problem with some routers.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to a320

to a320
Also SIP ALG if enabled can also cause problems.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

His router doesn't have a SIP ALG.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand

Ahh my bad.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Good suggestion otherwise.
a320
join:2014-06-07

a320 to Mango

to Mango
So I first used a STUN server but the problem remained.

Setting the X_KeepAliveEnable as per Mango's instruction has apparently fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help!!
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

You're very welcome. I see that you are new to the forums. Feel free to stay a while.

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

The Flash to a320

Premium Member

to a320
Might want to check Mango's awesome guide to the OBIs as well, some cool tweaks you can do.

»www.toao.net/500-mangos- ··· i202-ata

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

said by TypeS:

STUN is for equipment behind NAT to determine its public IP address. It won't prevent a NAT hole from closing.

m.

Hmm, IIRC, STUN will keep the NAT translation open, but only on certain types of NAT.

At least for my VoIP setup, I have UPnP disabled and no ports forwarded for the ATA.

My ATA connects to the my provider's STUN server and I receive/make phone calls just fine.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

What service provider is this, out of curiosity?

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I actually can't reveal that right now only because it's not in public release just yet, I'm beta testing it for them.

Fibernetics is the ILEC though.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I'm intrigued.

Most service providers don't use STUN these days as the SIP switches can just reply to the address that SIP packets are received from. However it might possibly be useful if they're allowing audio to travel directly from you to Fibernetics.

When the provider is in public release, feel free to drop by »VOIP Tech Chat and let us know all about it.