uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

3 edits

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned)

Microsoft Security Essentials Security Essentials Scores Low in Protection

In a test of 24 antivirus and antimalware software, Microsoft's Security Essentials finished second to last. »redmondmag.com/articles/ ··· est.aspx

A lot of people telling me that they have Microsoft Security Essentials Security Essentials installed on their PC. I would always recommend Avast! free to them.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

I think most people would agree that it's not the best anti virus protection out there, but it's definitely better than nothing.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

1 edit

2 recommendations

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

I think most people would agree that it's not the best anti virus protection out there, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Security software is something I would never go cheap for.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert

Mod

A happy MSE user here.
said by jadinolf:

Security software is something I would never go cheap for.

MSE is not cheap. It's free

I can also get McAfee at no cost, via my ISP. But McAfee is annoying.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

3 edits

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned)

Don't forget about Norton it is another good AV. as far as Microsoft Security Essentials Security Essentials goes i do not even want this crap for free. Oh wait it is free.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

3 recommendations

nwrickert

Mod

said by 47717768:

Don't forget about Norton it is another good AV.

My primary protection is to login to Windows as a limited user (except when doing admin tasks such as monthly updates). My secondary protection is to browse with "firefox" and the "noscript" extension.

MSE solves the problem of making sure that the system does not keep complaining that I am not using an anti-virus.

I have never had MSE detect a virus. When I was using McAfee, I had several false positives. The only time it detected an actual virus was when I deliberately sent myself a virus-infected email to test what McAfee would do.

It's been several years since I last tried Norton. I do recall that it blocked a Windows update, which it wrongly identified as a virus.

So MSE seems about right for me.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

There is only one browser that is worth having and it is Firefox. Also there are so many people just love IE 11 crap.

47717768 (banned)

Microsoft Security Essentials Loses AV Certification in October 2012

Independent German AV-Test firm pulls seal of approval for Microsoft's free antivirus software, saying it detected only 64% of zero-day threats on Windows 7.»www.darkreading.com/vuln ··· 1107614? Haha dam right.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

Dustyn to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Security Essentials Scores Low in Protection

I prefer »[Chrome] Chromium Website Builds over Google Chrome, IE11 and Firefox... but that is a whole other topic.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768
Perception is always own choices, important 4 me "MASTERING" your own machine Here are another result "Only one cash prize went unclaimed at Pwn2Own 2014. All major browsers were hacked, but hackers were unable to claim the $150,000 grand prize for hacking IE 11 secured with EMET. Secure your own PC with EMET today." .....[ »www.howtogeek.com/190590 ··· it-emet/ ]
Le Boule
join:2001-09-20
Selma, AL

1 recommendation

Le Boule to nwrickert

to nwrickert
»askleo.com/do-i-need-to- ··· entials/

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

12 recommendations

Coelispex to 47717768

to 47717768

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550 to Dustyn

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I prefer »[Chrome] Chromium Website Builds over Google Chrome, IE11 and Firefox... but that is a whole other topic.

Does flash player crash on Chromium? Its been crashing for me ever since I made the switch. Also, Java occasionally crashes on Chromium. Other than that, I have no complaints. Its a great browser.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Don't forget about Norton it is another good AV.

Norton would not have saved my bacon. Only reason I was not infected by a zero-day virus is the product recommended by Coelispex See Profile; well, an earlier version than 2010.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Tornado15550

Premium Member

to Tornado15550
Not at all?
That is unusual though. I'm using the latest "unstable builds" and have not come across any issues with Flash, Java or any of my other extensions.
Dustyn

2 recommendations

Dustyn to Coelispex

Premium Member

to Coelispex
Where can I download Common Sense 2010 Professional Version?
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned)

"DOWN_LOAD" ¿ ¿ .... [ »spritanium.deviantart.co ··· 66699899 ]
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

2 recommendations

47717768 (banned) to Coelispex

to Coelispex
Thing is most people do not know how to use Common Sense.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

1 recommendation

Astyanax to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I was under the impression that anti-virus software over the years has been rendered virtually pointless considering how much attacks have advanced over the years and has become more of a feel-good only measure now.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

3 recommendations

NoOneCares to 47717768

to 47717768
Maybe instead of focusing on what software someone is using, as none of them are full proof, teach them how to be safe on the internet. Don't visit questionable sites, don't click on links in e-mails, don't open attachments, etc. That would go a lot further to making them safer.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Loses AV Certification in October 2012

said by 47717768:

Independent German AV-Test firm pulls seal of approval for Microsoft's free antivirus software, saying it detected only 64% of zero-day threats on Windows 7.»www.darkreading.com/vuln ··· 1107614? Haha dam right.

Interesting thread !

Even MORE interesting is that Microsoft got MUCH better marks on this, just a handful of years ago.

What I'd like to know is why M$ has let things slip so far, so soon ?

They could have turned this into a money maker, if they'd kept their noses to the grindstone.

They have been looking for a subscription-based 'foot-in-the-door' to people's wallets, and this might have been it.

Hmmmm....
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to NoOneCares

Premium Member

to NoOneCares

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Security Essentials Scores Low in Protection

said by NoOneCares:

Maybe instead of focusing on what software someone is using, as none of them are full proof, teach them how to be safe on the internet. Don't visit questionable sites, don't click on links in e-mails, don't open attachments, etc.

That would go a lot further to making them safer.

Oh, REAL common sense, then.

I agree totally, but such advice is generally free, and too many folks have insufficient respect for free stuff, though some will accept it, if offered.

Ironic.
Bachinator
Premium Member
join:2014-01-25

Bachinator to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

I have never had MSE detect a virus.

I had MSE detect something once. I remember it well. I paused for a moment, just stared at the screen and thought "Wow, this thing actually does something"

Still, it's the only AV I'll use.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Try 0 day virus samples and than tell me if MSE has detected them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

3 recommendations

NormanS

MVM

Norton and F-Prot both failed to detect a zero-day virus I once received as an attachment in an E-mail. Only my caution prevented an infection.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

My primary protection is to login to Windows as a limited user

Ditto that.
said by nwrickert:

MSE solves the problem of making sure that the system does not keep complaining that I am not using an anti-virus.

But you're not using an anti-virus.

I'm using Windows 8.x with the included integrated Microsoft Defender.
NOYB

NOYB to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Where can I download Common Sense 2010 Professional Version?

You cannot. It is a roll your own product. Unfortunately far too few people are capable of doing so.

bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
OK I'm I may be a little slow this morning but what do they (av-test.org) mean with the following statement about Microsoft results were only recorded for comparison an were not included in the certification process at the end of their summary?
22 of the 24 packages involved in the test were awarded the AV-TEST certificate for tested security. The product from AhnLab, on the other hand, failed to achieve a certificate due to its insufficient performance in the Protection category. The Microsoft results were only recorded for comparison and were therefore not included in the certification process.
Like some others I've had virus and malware leak through to infect a PC that were using Norton, McAfee and Kaspersky. Nothing is perfect and some products depending on the testing structure and methods are better than others.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
So why not have a mac then?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15