MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Content] Comcast of Central NJ Middlesex to add KVNV 3 MeTV on July 31st

said by Mike Wolf:

Nice, but why HD? ... pretty much all the programming are old tv shows shot in 4:3 from the 40''s through 70's ...

Yes, good question.

Like I said above, Me-TV network programming is provided only in 480i SD and, according to the RabbitEars site info on KVNV (»www.rabbitears.info/mark ··· id=86537), KVNV itself will only be transmitting an SD signal (SD 480i 720x480 4:3).

So like what dishrich See Profile said above, Comcast's HD channel for it will be SD-upconverted-to-HD KVNV/Me-TV programming (does that really make it look any better?) plus maybe an occasional Comcast-inserted, local (in actual HD) commercial.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

Comcast can't insert comercials on brodcast channels any local inserted HD commercials(or informercials) will be from KVNV it's self.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Dan A:

Comcast can't insert commercials on broadcast channels, any local inserted HD commercials (or infomercials) will be from KVNV itself.

OK, wasn't sure about that, thanks.

So, as KVNV will only be transmitting an SD signal, all the programming on Comcast's HD channel for it will be upconverted then.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
In my experience up converted SD content is gonna look like crap. I just hope they don't try to stretch it into widescreen or make it anamorphic.

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

Dan A to telcodad

to telcodad
Sister station KJWP Wilmington/Philadelphia is broadcasting in 720p HD so I assume this will also be the case for KVNV.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Dan A:

Sister station KJWP Wilmington/Philadelphia is broadcasting in 720p HD so I assume this will also be the case for KVNV.

Yes, that's what the RabbitEars site info on KJWP (»www.rabbitears.info/mark ··· _id=1283) shows, so maybe its info on KVNV was preliminary. Interesting.

Trip37
join:2014-06-09
Alexandria, VA

Trip37

It is. I anticipate KVNV (to be WJLP, I hear) will look very similar to KJWP, but until I know that for sure, the current listing stays put.

- Trip
www.rabbitears.info

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Trip37:

It is. I anticipate KVNV (to be WJLP, I hear) will look very similar to KJWP, but until I know that for sure, the current listing stays put.

OK, thanks for that update and keeping your (very useful) site accurate and up-to-date!

["join:2014-06-09" -- And I see you just signed up as a member - welcome to the forum!]

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A to Trip37

to Trip37
Wonder why PMCM/Press changed the call letters of KJWP from KJWY before the move east thereby retaining a "K" call sign yet are waiting until after the move to change KVNV call sign and thereby getting a "W" call sign. I think a K call sign would stand out even more in New York considering Philadelphia had/has KYW-TV.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I just hope TiVo will show all the correct information with program data and channel logo. I'm still waiting for them to fix Bloomberg HD moving to 814 and the EAS channel being on 1994 and so forth.

mdamco25
@108.7.177.x

mdamco25 to Dan A

Anon

to Dan A
If "WJLP" is true, that could make sense. Press Broadcasting's first (radio) stations were WJLK-AM-FM in Asbury Park, NJ. They sold both stations in 1989 and then purchased WKXW and WBUD in Trenton, NJ. Many years ago, after Press sold the stations, WJLK (AM) became WADB (AM) and the WJLK calls still live on the FM station (branded as 94.3 The Point). So I wonder if WJLP is some sort of tribute to their original station(s). Incidentally, "JLK" was a tribute to J. Lyle Kinmouth who was the publisher of the Asbury Park Press around the time of World War II. When the FM signed on in 1947, it took his initials as their call letters.

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

I also thought similarity to the WJLK call letters.

How many years after Press sold WJLK-AM-FM did they buy the nearby WHTG-AM-FM?

mdamico25
@153.31.113.x

mdamico25

Anon

>>How many years after Press sold WJLK-AM-FM did they buy the nearby WHTG-AM-FM?

Dan- they bought WHTG AM-FM in 2000 from the Gade Family. The year before (1999) they sold WBUD/WKXW/WXKW (97.3 FM Millville, NJ, which was a WKXW simulcast at the time) to Millenium Radio. Around that time is also when they sold their Orlando, FL radio and TV station.

-Mike

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

They also sold the Asbury Park Press and the Home News Tribune to Gannett around that time too.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Dan A

MVM

to Dan A
quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective July 23, 2014 the
following channel lineup changes will occur: ... QVC will move
from ch 3 to ch 8; TCN will move from ch 8 to ch 72; ... Effective July 31, 2014
KVNV SD and HD will be added to ch 3 and ch 803 respectively.
Any idea when KVNV goes up over the air in the NYC area yet?

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

Dan A

PMCM TV (AKA Press Communications) now has web address for the relocated to Middletown/NYC KVNV 3 »www.kvnv3.com.

They also have a web site KJWP 2 »www.kjwp2.com their station in Wilmington/Philladephia.

According to KJWP's web site the air a pubic affairs show hosted by former WCAU (NBC 10) and KYW (CBS 3) anchor Larry Mendte one is Delaware centric. The also air Variety show hosted NJ 101.5's(WKXW a former Press Communications Property) Big Joe Henry . I not sure if if a Larry Mendte hosted program will air on KVNV but it is a safe bet that Big Joe's show will.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Dan A:

PMCM TV (AKA Press Communications) now has web address for the relocated to Middletown/NYC KVNV 3 »www.kvnv3.com

Thanks.

Interesting that on that page it shows the call sign as "KJLP: Channel 3 – Middletown NJ"

BTW - Found this post over on the AVS Forum:

quote:
Quote:
Any news on KVNV launch date?

So I found the station managers email and asked him and this was his reply:

Quote:
We plan to start broadcasting from 4 Times Square July 31, 2014 the Nielsen rating book ends July 30. We may start earlier for over the air but that would be only a couple of days. Our call letters will be changed on launch not before (FCC reg) to WJLP and we will be Channel 3. Thanks for inquiring!
So they will be changing their call letters.

Also, later on in that thread:

quote:
TVguide.com is now showing full listings for 3.1 WJLPHD.
So if KVNV/WJLP is not on the air yet in the NYC area, I don't know why there are program listings showing up for that channel right now on the TVGuide.com site!?

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

Bob Mc Allan the Head of PCMC just answered my email about KVNV here is what he had to say.

Dan:

We will have several exciting programming announcements for Channel 3 as we enter the Fall 14 season. Unfortunately, while the deals are in the handshake stage they have not yet been signed so we are not at liberty to make any announcements at this time.

We at KVNV (soon to be WJLP once the move is made-that announcement we can make) sincerely hope you enjoy the programming lineup and look forward to having you as a viewer. Please feel free to email me with your thoughts at any time.

Bob Mc Allan
CEO
PMCM TV LLC
said by telcodad:

said by Dan A:

PMCM TV (AKA Press Communications) now has web address for the relocated to Middletown/NYC KVNV 3 »www.kvnv3.com

Thanks.

Interesting that on that page it shows the call sign as "KJLP: Channel 3 – Middletown NJ"

quote:
Quote:

Quote:
We plan to start broadcasting from 4 Times Square July 31, 2014 the Nielsen rating book ends July 30. We may start earlier for over the air but that would be only a couple of days. Our call letters will be changed on launch not before (FCC reg) to WJLP and we will be Channel 3. Thanks for inquiring!

quote:
So if KVNV/WJLP is not on the air yet in the NYC area, I don't know why there are program listings showing up for that channel right now on the TVGuide.com site!?

NYC viewer
@38.112.184.x

NYC viewer

Anon

Don't hold your breath -- seems as if there is another delay. A PMCM representative stated that ch 3 will launch in September. No other details given...

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

3 edits

Dan A

said by NYC viewer :

Don't hold your breath -- seems as if there is another delay. A PMCM representative stated that ch 3 will launch in September. No other details given...

The South Brunswick Township access channel was moved from ch3 to ch 26 this morning. So that part of the notice has been fulfilled. NYC viewer did not provide a link or any detail about how or from who he got his information about a potential delay so i have to take it with a grain of salt.
Dan A

Dan A

said by Dan A:

PMCM TV (AKA Press Communications) now has web address for the relocated to Middletown/NYC KVNV 3 »www.kvnv3.com.

They also have a web site KJWP 2 »www.kjwp2.com their station in Wilmington/Philladephia.

According to KJWP's web site the air a pubic affairs show hosted by former WCAU (NBC 10) and KYW (CBS 3) anchor Larry Mendte one is Delaware centric. The also air Variety show hosted NJ 101.5's(WKXW a former Press Communications Property) Big Joe Henry . I not sure if if a Larry Mendte hosted program will air on KVNV but it is a safe bet that Big Joe's show will.

Acording to this story It appears Mendte will do public affairs shows for WJLP 3 just as he's doing for KJWP 2. »ftvlive.sqsp.com/todays- ··· bc-radio

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Dan A

MVM

to Dan A
said by telcodad:

quote:
Quote:

Quote:

quote:

said by Dan A:

said by NYC viewer :

The South Brunswick Township access channel was moved from ch3 to ch 26 this morning. So that part of the notice has been fulfilled. NYC viewer did not provide a link or any detail about how or from who he got his information about a potential delay so i have to take it with a grain of salt.

OK, well it's officially July 31st now in the NYC DMA, and while QVC has been moved off of Comcast's Channel 3, there's no sign of KVNV/WJLP on Channels 3 and 803 (and the channel guide) yet (though these changes often occur around 4AM).

However, I also just performed a new channel scan on my OTA digital TV tuner, and there's no sign of Channel 3-1 being up on the air yet either.

So, it looks like "NYC viewer" may know what he's talking about.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

OK, well it's officially July 31st now in the NYC DMA, and while QVC has been moved off of Comcast's Channel 3, there's no sign of KVNV/WJLP on Channels 3 and 803 (and the channel guide) yet (though these changes often occur around 4AM).

However, I also just performed a new channel scan on my OTA digital TV tuner, and there's no sign of Channel 3-1 being up on the air yet either.

So, it looks like "NYC viewer" may know what he's talking about.

It's now 8AM and still no change - I guess it's "see you in September" for KVNV/WJLP Channel 3-1 then.
telcodad

telcodad to NYC viewer

MVM

to NYC viewer
said by NYC viewer :

OK, NYC viewer, you were correct.

I just got this in reply to an email I sent to PMCM TV today:
quote:
Dear Viewer,

Thank you for writing us, we love to hear from our viewers! Unfortunately, the launch date of the New York station was put off for a few months. We are anticipating to start up sometime in the fall. Please follow our Facebook Page, MeTV2 Wilmington/Philadelphia, to stay informed about upcoming details about the new station.

Thank you!

Viewer Support
PMCM-TV Station Management
MeTV2 & MeTV3

telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by NYC viewer :

OK, NYC viewer, you were correct.

I just got this in reply to an email I sent to PMCM TV today:
quote:
... Unfortunately, the launch date of the New York station was put off for a few months. We are anticipating to start up sometime in the fall. ...

Well, I may have found the reason now for the delay:

From a post »www.avsforum.com/forum/4 ··· 26149194 Tuesday night in the AVS forum by "Giacomo Siffredi":
quote:
Originally Posted by veedon:

The bigger question is whether the renamed KVNV will be allowed to keep channel 3 as its virtual channel number even though a portion of KVNV's coverage area overlaps the coverage area of WFSB (RF 33, virtual channel 3) in Connecticut. WFSB has some sort of special status that allows part of what would be KVNV's area to be considered part of WFSB's market area. I'm not sure how the regulations work.

It would be great if KVNV could revive interest in OTA reception, even on VHF-Lo, but getting a good channel position on the cable systems must be even more important to the station's prospects.

This is a VERY significant issue. First, this may ultimately delay the sign-on of KVNV. Second, the ramifications of not being permitted to identify as channel 3 would likely be devastating to PMCM TV because their station's value, inclusive of its monetary value, could be significantly and irreparably harmed. Also, the decision rendered by the FCC could be precedent setting, and I sense that any decision will be appealed by the losing party.

The antagonist here is Meredith Corporation, based in Des Moines, Iowa, and licensee of WFSB Hartford, channel 33, in the state of Connecticut.

According to documents filed with the FCC, here is what happened: Meredith filed an informal objection to the modification application objecting to PMCM’s future operations on virtual channel 3 because WFSB(TV) had been assigned that channel since 2004. Meredith argued that because the two stations’ noise limited contours have significant overlap, both stations cannot operate on the same virtual channel. Meredith further argued that, under the PSIP Standard adopted by the Commission, KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which is WFSB(TV)’s RF channel.

On April 17, 2014, the Video Division granted PMCM’s application and dismissed Meredith’s informal objection as premature, stating that a station’s virtual channel designation is customarily considered after grant of the license modification application in a separate proceeding that solely addresses the virtual channel designation. Meredith filed a timely Petition for Reconsideration and Request for Declaratory Ruling on May 22, 2014, again asserting that KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which PMCM opposes. Briefing on this matter closed on July 11, 2014, and a decision has not yet been issued.

The areas major cable operators (Cablevision, Comcast, and Time Warner) took notice of this dispute, then they followed suit by requesting the FCC to grant a waiver of Section 76.64(f)(4) which specifically allows the MVPD’s to defer carriage of KVNV until 90 days from the date there is a final decision on the station’s virtual channel. The FCC has granted this waiver.

Presently, the matter is before the FCC which will have to decide whether PMCM TV can legally identify their channel number as channel 3. The decision will affect both the station's on-air signal and MVPD carriage position. Therefore, the station and its potential viewers will likely be held hostage, so to speak, until this matter is resolved.

Dan A
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

Their would also be an overlap with KYW's virtual channel 3 CBS does not seem worried. They even sold PCMC the Old KYW transmitter for KJWP that it's self has a overlap with WCBS (also physically on ch 33) virtual channel 2

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

There's this update on KVNV/WJLP's status today on the AVS forum:

From »www.avsforum.com/forum/4 ··· 26286001 :
quote:
... My contact passed the following along when I asked about a new launch date.

Quote:
Delays have been more frequent due to weather (rain). We are also dealing with unexpected and unwelcome FCC issues . I'd rather depend on the weather ! Hope to fire up antenna in about 2 weeks for over the air service, cable carriage a month away. Did I mention the unions? ! Regards

SeanWhite
@70.192.133.x

SeanWhite

Anon

Well that ain't fair, why should over the air users get it before cable users? I say they don't do anything till EVERYONE can get it at the same time!

Faruch
@184.75.6.x

Faruch

Anon

Seanwhite, really? That is hardly something to whine and complain about. A station should postpone over the air launch and forgo income until u get it in cable? If u want it so bad nothing is stopping u from getting an antenna. Should all future channel launches be timed so all people regardless if platform see it at the same time?

benfranklin
@67.250.1.x

benfranklin to SeanWhite

Anon

to SeanWhite
said by SeanWhite :

Well that ain't fair, why should over the air users get it before cable users? I say they don't do anything till EVERYONE can get it at the same time!

whats unfair is that no satellite customers in the philadelphia region can see comcast sportsnet. MeTV hardly has mass appeal that people are taking to the streets complaining over the air gets it before cable.