spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spyknee
join:2007-11-30
Woodside, NY

spyknee

Adding a router?

Actiontech GT784WNV, the modem does not have enough ports for me. I want to place this modem in bridge mode and place a router in between my devices and the modem.

I know that the Actiontec does not have a bridge mode per say. So how do I best accomplish my goal?
tips appreciated.

tl9
join:2005-05-23
MA

tl9

Check the instructions in the last post of this thread:

»[modem/router] GT784WNV Bridge Mode?

The other option is to add a network switch to the GT784WNV for more ports. If you've a spare network hub, that would work too but a switch is preferable. FYI.
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

Ty, nice link.
Unfortunately, for me, disabling the wi-fi interferes with my end goal.
I am considering reworking my home network so that its more a HTPC setup.
Actiontec has 4 ports plus wi-fi. I have 3 computers and 1 cloud drive currently filling those ports. Can I place my router into 1 of the Actiontec ports and then plug devices into router.
ie: put router in bridge mode behind modem?

My receiver is ARC compatible with my HDTV, So I could run multiple HDMI devices thru the receiver and use the HDTV as monitor and have DTS sound. Versus hooking multiple devices to HDTV HDMI ports and using the HDTV's digital sound out to receiver.

I want to pass all thru the receiver 1st, then I can use my smartphone's wi-fi and an app to control receiver, hence controlling system with my cell.

And other than buying some HDMI cables, I do not want to buy more hardware for the network. I just need to get the receiver and TV into network, then of coarse theres the performance issue of puter having to pass through a device to get to monitor, instead of directly connecting monitor.

SO I consider this a networking question.
ty

tl9
MA

tl9

Yes, you can 'put router in bridge mode behind modem'; just disable the DHCP and connect an Ethernet cable to one of the 4(?) ports of your
router--not the Internet input port. Thus, you gain 3 ports from the router. You're essentially making your router into a hub. Performance degradation should not be an issue. Hope this does what you want...
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

cool ty
I just need to get network access to the receiver. I can just unplug my cloud drive and place router there, then place all my minor devices in the router.
OR
Should I unplug all devices from the modem and plug them to router, then just plug the router into the modem? Now I would have 1 device into modem and be able to use the wi fi connect for wireless control. My router has 8 ports,

Guess its time to try things that appear possible.

tl9
MA

tl9

said by spyknee:

... I can just unplug my cloud drive and place router there, then place all my minor devices in the router. ...

Personally, this would be my initial configuration just to confirm that your router would indeed work in this setup. You might then try other configurations if you want to optimize network performance for all the connected devices, just in case if there is any difference. This is what I would do...
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

I agree, I do not need to put puters on the router, just those minor devices. Not to mention its the easiest to due, the cloud device is just backups. The HDTV, Receiver and cloud will not get in each others way. If I can get things so my android phone would be a remote, I would be happy.

I have all of this quality disparate components, things work but I am so under utilizing what I have.
Time to optimize the setup.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to spyknee

to spyknee
If you want to use the wifi on the GT784WNV, then you can get more ethernet ports by adding a desktop switch. You can get switches in 8, 16, 24, etc port varieties,and the smallest (5/8 port) switches are often cheaper than routers.
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

»community.linksys.com/t5 ··· p/321647

FYI, I have now placed my router in behind the modem and using it as a switch, added my HDTV, AV receiver and personal cloud to my home network. I can now access my AV receiver with my smartphone. Now I just need to learn how to use it to my advantage.
woot!

Link above is the method used. Google Play provided a free app for my phone.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Did you buy the router recently? I would still consider returning the wireless router and buying an Ethernet switch instead.

The setup is simpler and switches, even 8-port gigabit switches, often cost less than a good router. (And, the money you spent on a good desktop switch is essentially a permanent investment in your home network infrastructure, because they last nigh-on forever.)

You can save a few bucks by getting a 5-port switch, or getting a 10/100 megabit switch, but any 5-port 10/100 port switch you buy today will need to be replaced before long anyway, so you're not actually doing yourself any favors.

The router's wireless signal may also still be on, which if you wanted to use wireless on your GT784WNV, is just creating unneeded interference in the local airspace. Many wireless routers are better at wireless than ISP routers, but if you're not using that, you've paid for hardware you aren't using.
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

nope, old router I used with the westell modem.

I use the wireless port of the Actiontec modem for my smartphone only. All else is wired.

Reconfigured my old unused hardware to add in what I stated before. Did not spend a dime.

jjam
@70.192.0.x

jjam

Anon

What r u using for your cloud? Been looking to do this for a while just not sure what a good option is.
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

Its called a My Book Live. Its a 1TB spin drive with an Ethernet connect. It just sits in the corner by itself.

Its a Western Digital product, they have larger capacity ones. It cost $120 if I remember correctly. Has a small software package to help with computer backups as well as connecting to your network.

jjam
@70.192.27.x

jjam

Anon

I believe I looked at those and the reviews weren't great. It works well?
spyknee
Woodside, NY

spyknee

I have had no issues with it. Its part of my home network and I access it from multiple machines.
I prolly do not use it to the full extent of its capabilities.

You can use it to backup a puters OS. I did try this once with an XP machine, upon completion it required a floppy cisc as a type of key, that was troublesome. I have not really taken the time to learn proper use tho. I just made my own files and copied over those things I wanted duplicates of pics, some music. Beats paying a company by the month. Most peeps waste $120/day on crap so....

I hold Western Digital in high regard tho. Like their products so......................