spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JTIZZLE614
join:2013-07-09
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614

Columbus Ohio

Cbus is the 15th largest city in the United States u think are Super Mayor Mike Coleman would someway work on getting a pure fiber network in Columbus and not bow down too att or twc (comcast) and even wowway grrrrrr

xer008
Premium Member
join:2000-05-22
socal

xer008

Premium Member

I was thinking the same about Los Angeles

We have plenty of dark fiber running under us

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to JTIZZLE614

to JTIZZLE614
He's tried to get Google Fiber here.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

ITGeeks

Which city hasn't.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

English?

JayOSU
@65.31.16.x

JayOSU to JTIZZLE614

Anon

to JTIZZLE614
I'm more concerned with just getting the regular TWC channel lineup here in a former Insight area. My dreams are much smaller.
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY

rjbasye

It's a shame that the TWC Lineup is not available to Ex Insight areas.
JTIZZLE614
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
Trying not that hard

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Dude, seriously he dont have a magic wand
JTIZZLE614
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614

He kinda does he one of the most powerful mayor in the country look at the high street Arch Lighting how much how much did that cost cbus
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by JTIZZLE614:

He kinda does he one of the most powerful mayor in the country look at the high street Arch Lighting how much how much did that cost cbus

Way to much considering there was defects in the first design and the arches didn't light properly or work half the time and they had to spend $$$$$$ to repair them.

I doubt we'll ever see FTTH in Columbus unless AT&T does it and then they will pick specific areas like they have with the Uverse install.

TWC could care less about Columbus.. heck their out of the market if the Comcast merger goes thru we get dumped on Charter.
JTIZZLE614
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614

Lol no doubt I thought comcast was in ohio I would think they would want the cbus market comcast wants to rip everyone with there cap charges Im lucky I live I can choose from 3 att treat me good

I would like to see cbus get into the fiber business they have power utility in Clintonville
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by JTIZZLE614:

Lol no doubt I thought comcast was in ohio I would think they would want the cbus market comcast wants to rip everyone with there cap charges Im lucky I live I can choose from 3 att treat me good

Nope, Ohio is going to Charter... looking at recent postings elsewhere on here.

Charter was after TWC's larger systems in places like LA, Texas, etc.

I doubt we will ever see Columbus get in the fiber business.. besides there are many parts of Columbus (aka Clintonville) which I could see see throwing a fit if a provider such as Google wanted to drop a "fiber hut" onto someones lawn.

If we get lucky maybe the merger of TWC with Comcast will stall long enough that TWC ups to 16 channels bonding and we get the MAXX speeds that NYC, LA and Austin are getting (300 down / 200 up).

Even AT&T's not considering CMH for fiber to the home at this point -- I know Cleveland is on a proposed list that AT&T has floating around the net for "Gigapower"
ITGeeks
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

CLE has tons of money and is a new tech giant in the city. Lots going on in Cleveland that Columbus hasn't had nor won't have- such as One Community and CWRU where those two are running fiber to the homes and apartments. And it is happening in Columbus.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to JTIZZLE614

to JTIZZLE614
Those Comcast markets went to TWC back during Adelphia's buyout.
JTIZZLE614
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614

Ur soooo right about Clintonville lol if cbus get charter it will throw us back 10yrs haha but would still love to cbus flex some muscle maybe with the help osu
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by JTIZZLE614:

Ur soooo right about Clintonville lol if cbus get charter it will throw us back 10yrs haha but would still love to cbus flex some muscle maybe with the help osu

I only brought up Cville because I have friends who live there and cell phone signal is terrible because people in that area don't want those towers in their back yards.

tOSU care about residential fiber broadband? HAHAH the only thing they care about is their football team.

I'd love to see gigabit fiber in this town as much as the next person but I sadly don't see anyone doing it.

Btw regarding the city and internet.. I don't see it happening.. I was at a "meet the people" meeting that the city schools was pushing around in various community org to talk about the school levy (which ended up failing).. Coleman was at one of the meetings "talking up" the school levy.. anyways someone asked why the city didn't offer neighborhood WiFi for school children to be able to do their homework online etc... and he pretty much responded that there are places such as the library for children to get online if parents can't afford the internet.
JTIZZLE614
Mount Vernon, OH

JTIZZLE614

Botton line it's all about politics cbus wants light rail and can't get over 50 megs lets not start about up load speed grrrr
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to JTIZZLE614

to JTIZZLE614
I was born/raised in Columbus and I got out while I could a few years ago and do not regret it. It does have it's charms and it's home so I do miss some things about it though.

Although, Columbus has by far one of the worst broadband infrastructure systems I've ever seen. The only halfway decent one that's there is WOW and that's thanks to Americast's decent planning when they built the system in 1996.

AT&T has practically let the copper rot off the lines they're so un-interested in Columbus, and Time Warner Cable still has parts of town covered in that old ass aluminum sheath wiring from when the Qube was out.

By far the best cable company I'd ever dealt with was Insight, I had the docsis2 "turbo" service and regularly got 30/5 and was paying for 15/1. Time Warner never came consistently close to it and seemed to have more outages than one could stand, not to mention their garbage implementation of SDV.

Every time I go back, I'm saddened by my families internet connections and how much they're paying just to be assraped by the companies that serve Columbus.

This is what I get for $29.99/mo in Phoenix (been same price since I moved here a few years ago, nobody in Columbus could even come close)

And to the OP, the $$ for Columbus to do their own muni-fiber deployment just is not there. Hell they cannot even get the CPS schools up to par, moreless the infrastructure.
ITGeeks
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

Much of the Americast network was rebuilt. It was only designed for 1-way communications and the WOW network has been expanded countless times since they took over.

marquee
@78.129.148.x

marquee to JTIZZLE614

Anon

to JTIZZLE614
LA , chicago, San Francisco dont have pure fiber networks why would you think a smaller city and doesnt contribute to the national economy as much would have? sure we all would love to have pure fiber but it costs money that even verizon is slowing down or halting their build in media capital of the world NYC. be realistic in what you ask for. TWC obviously dont even care about cbus cause its not profitable and worth investing any money into.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by marquee :

TWC obviously dont even care about cbus cause its not profitable and worth investing any money into.

The most ridiculous statement of the day.

Hob

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

95% of his posts are like that, when you can understand what he is saying.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to JTIZZLE614

to JTIZZLE614
How old are you? As your acting like a lil teenager based upon your rants and pissy fits you keep posting. If you dont like how things are then go away (out of state) when you go to college and see if the grass really is greener elsewhere.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

I have personally found the grass quite greener in most other places, the unemployment rate alone for someone just out of school is atrocious in Ohio. Out west (at last in Phoenix for now) has the lowest unemployment rate for new graduates and a nice cost of living (as long as you can handle the heat for three months out of the year)

I honestly do miss some things about ohio, but i do not miss the general negativity due to the bad economy there, maybe one day i'll move back but it'll take a lot and for now i'll just visit occasionally.

sdfadjfaskdl
@75.180.29.x

sdfadjfaskdl

Anon

said by brad152:

I have personally found the grass quite greener in most other places, the unemployment rate alone for someone just out of school is atrocious in Ohio.

That's because Columbus is filled with educated people, not because the economy is in the tank.

I'm guessing you haven't been to Columbus in over 10 years.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

Ha! I go to columbus quite often to visit family actually. I still find columbus lacking overall compared to other cities, as well as the attitude is just in the tank overall and depressing (i am 25 by the way and moved right after finishing up at OSU)

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to marquee

Premium Member

to marquee
Verizon Fios is available in LA. In my area I have a choice between Verizon Fios or TWC and there is no dsl in my area

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Relevant? Were discussing COLUMBUS OH NOT LA.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980 to brad152

to brad152
said by brad152:

(i am 25 by the way and moved right after finishing up at OSU)

I think you might be running into the fact that Columbus's market is saturated with newly graduated students. Employers have the pick of the litter there.

I am from Columbus and live in Dallas right now. I like living in Dallas more, but really enjoy Ohio in general. It's a great place to be from.