Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Red Button Flaw Exposes Major Vulnerability In Millions of Smart TVs

»www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/···art-tvs/ from »it.slashdot.org/story/14/06/08/0···n-attack ...

"Researchers from Columbia University's Network Security Lab discovered a flaw affecting millions of Smart TVs supporting the HbbTV standard. The flaw allows a radio-frequency attacker with a low budget to take control over tens of thousands of TVs in a single attack, forcing the TVs to interact with any website on their behalf — Academic paper available online..."

Sounds nasty. I am glad old school CRT TVs don't have it. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

And the Law of Unintended Consequences is still at work. Every time a new "feature" gets added to electronic objects, something unexpected (and often unpleasant) becomes possible - and usually, multiple unexpected issues get raised for each single added feature. It's an explodingly complex and perplexing world we're careening into...
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to antdude
Current Smart TVs in the USA don't have it either. At the moment, it is mostly in Europe. Coming to Australia next month but apparently BRAND NEW TVs will be needed so my Smart TV won't get it unless it can be delivered via a firmware update but that would not likely include the first generation of Samsung Smart TVs from 2011 which includes mine. Plus, it requires a set top box. I'm not interested. I don't want a set top box. Plus, I have no interest in accessing Facebook on my Smart TV (or anywhere). I don't want to vote a poll on my Smart TV nor am I interested in ordering lousy pizza on it.

I can already access Facebook if I wanted on my TV simply by using it as a third monitor soo I am not sure what the point is of this HbbTV standard. I suppose the point is that if you do stuff directly through the TV (instead of setting the TV as another monitor and doing it through your computer) that this will allow advertisers to have a field day with "personalizing" ads for you. All without the safeguards that you have in place if you use your TV as another monitor.

Opera has a free TV emulator to allow developers to test and develop HTML5 applications for TVs.
»www.operasoftware.com/products/tv-emulator
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
Expand your moderator at work

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

Re: Red Button Flaw Exposes Major Vulnerability In Millions of Smart TVs

said by Blackbird:

Every time a new "feature" gets added to electronic objects, something unexpected (and often unpleasant) becomes possible - and usually, multiple unexpected issues get raised for each single added feature.

That's why I won't get a smart fridge---imagine if a hacker told the fridge to shut down.

Or a smart car. (I just upgraded to 1996 and the computer is already enough PITA with emissions trouble light).

Or allow all my door locks, water faucets, and electric switches, to be controlled by one software program (there have been some great horror movies about that such as an angry smart computer trapping the building manager in the bathroom, then killing him by water electrocution).

A house that can be remotely locked, can be remotely unlocked as well!

Parad0X787
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
Premium
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I hear that yesterday on news, but THX for the full article antdude

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Interesting report, thanks.

Looks like I'll be keeping my CRT TV as long as I can.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

2 recommendations

LCD TV != smart TV

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
reply to antdude
Greetings shiny, new SmarTV meet Mr. MiTM, enjoy!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

2 recommendations

reply to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Looks like I'll be keeping my CRT TV as long as I can.

My LCD flat screen Sony Bravia is as stupid as any CRT TV.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

el_huason

@108.38.68.x

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
I expect a resurgence of interest in older household appliances and electronics as more people realize that having network-aware consumer products is not such a good idea after all; unfortunately, the vast majority have been brainwashed and/or lobotomized to the point of no return . I for one intend to keep my older devices up and running for as long as I can - even if it means creating replacement parts from scratch and doing maintenance & repairs myself >;)

"Only two kinds of human beings can be trusted - dead and extinct. All others must be avoided at all costs" me.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits

1 recommendation

I haven't encountered any issues with smart technologies yet. Last year my water meter was converted to RF. My bills have gone down since then. Supposedly it transmits usage every hour. I purchased a new Samsung 55 inch LCD last year but I avoided an additional $100+ by keeping it on the dumb side. I too have a couple other flat screens (Sony Bravias) both dumb.

Can't you simply block internet access via settings though. I know for my wireless devices, I choose to connect to my router, not the other way around.

I shudder to think of controlling my home utilities, door security, etc via a laptop or iPhone.

edit: Blocking access though would sure interfere with a person's viewing of Netflix and Hulu Plus or quick access to their Facebook via the lazyboy.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to el_huason
said by el_huason :

unfortunately, the vast majority have been brainwashed and/or lobotomized to the point of no return

It's a persistent thing in this forum, isn't it? Almost everyone else is stupid. Oddly, though, the person who expresses this sentiment almost never considers whether they might be stupid.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to antdude
This is old and applies to European Standard TVs. Nothing in the USA or Canada uses the red button.

From July 6th 2013 where you posted the same info.

»Researcher: Your Smart TV Can Be Easily Hacked
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 recommendation

reply to dave
said by dave:

LCD TV != smart TV

Yes, and also just because one has a SmartTV does not mean they have the network connection enabled.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
said by TheTechGuru:

Yes, and also just because one has a SmartTV does not mean they have the network connection enabled.

It does with some brands. We had a thread about it here not too long ago.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON
reply to planet
said by planet:

Can't you simply block internet access via settings though. I know for my wireless devices, I choose to connect to my router, not the other way around.

No, you can't. The HbbTV vulnerability works for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts, i.e. "rabbit ears" or a rooftop antenna. It takes over the TV, and if your TV happens to be logged in to Facebook at the time, all bets are off.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by Walter Dnes:

said by planet:

No, you can't. The HbbTV vulnerability works for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts, i.e. "rabbit ears" or a rooftop antenna. It takes over the TV, and if your TV happens to be logged in to Facebook at the time, all bets are off.

How would a TV be logged into facebook if it's not connected to a network/the internet?
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified
Did I help you or save you money in some way? I didn't obtain all of my knowledge for free. Please consider making a donation towards paying off my $48K in student loans. Thank You.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

This is old and applies to European Standard TVs. Nothing in the USA or Canada uses the red button.

Yet.

quote:
The vulnerability affects any brand of Smart TV sold that is compatible with the new HbbTV standard (short for hybrid broadcast-broadband) which is widespread in Europe (90% of the German market is covered and millions of sets have been sold). It's on the verge of mass adoption in the U.S. as it was recently added to ATSC standards used in North America.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by goalieskates:

said by Doctor Olds:

Yet.

quote:
The vulnerability affects any brand of Smart TV sold that is compatible with the new HbbTV standard (short for hybrid broadcast-broadband) which is widespread in Europe (90% of the German market is covered and millions of sets have been sold). It's on the verge of mass adoption in the U.S. as it was recently added to ATSC standards used in North America.

"On the verge of" means that it is still not anything that will affect any current 2014 Smart TV and earlier 2013 on back Smart TV owners in the USA and Canada as they have no red button vulnerability to be concerned about. You can always worry about what might or might not come in the future, but I chose to not do that.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
Wrong.

Presumably a Smart TV could have its software updated at any point. That's the whole idea, isn't it?

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
reply to antdude
My Phillips flatscreen isn't a smart TV, my Phillips blu-ray player has internet capabilities though. I hooked it up when I first got it to see what it would be like watching something on youtube, but only for about 5 minutes before I disconnected it again.

I live in a building with about 50 other apartments, have disabled Wi-Fi on all my capable devices and only use Ethernet..

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Wrong.

Presumably a Smart TV could have its software updated at any point. That's the whole idea, isn't it?

Nope, in this case you are just grasping at straws. Hbb will not retroactively be able to be added to earlier Smart TVs period as the controls are not there (hardware and software aka firmware) unless they send everyone a brand new remote with the Hbb red button and a new main-board for their TVs in order to access the interactive feature called HbbTV. You can get a standalone upgrade for any Smart or dumb TV as in a STB (Set Top Box) with Remote that has the HbbTV feature set, but that is a separate hardware box that you would have to buy to add HbbTV to any TV set that does not have HbbTV as a included feature. It's not like adding a channel like YouTube or Crackle to the selection menu as that is just a software widget (Sony's terminology). Check out what it is »www.hbbtv.org/

And there is the possibility the current flaws will be fixed before the North American market release of the feature if it does actually make it into future Smart TVs for the USA and Canada.
--

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

1 recommendation

reply to dave
said by dave:

LCD TV != smart TV

Not necessarily, I have a Hannspree LCD TV and it's essentially a monitor with a tuner. It's as dumb as a rock.