Search similar:

uniqs
misterooga
join:2008-05-01
Toronto, ON

misterooga

Recommendation on Cable Modem?

Long time lurker here.

I've been getting some issues with my cable service past few weeks now. It started sometime in May when there was an outage in Toronto.

Since then, I noticed that my internet connection will drop. First time was weak signal, and the matter was resolved in half an hour after a ticket to Rogers was created.

More recently though, I noticed really slow service (speedtest won't load completely) from time to time. When I called Teksavvy, the latest personnel mentioned that because my modem (SB5101) only picks up one channel, I'd need to factory reset and power cycle to pick up a different channel.

That did the trick few days ago, but last night, it just wouldn't work after having some connection for an hour or so.

And this morning is fine. Weird. My signal seems all alright too.

If modem is to blame, I wouldn't mind looking into upgrading it since I do need to work from home.

Any recommendations? I see bunch of Thomson DCM 476 on sale at kijiji...but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

By the way, I have a grandfathered plan: Cable 18 Pro. Is the speed 18 Mbps: 512 kbps? I'm looking at Teksavvy website and I think it's the same price Cable 25...which is faster. Hmm...

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Upgrade to Cable 25 and get a DCM476.
misterooga
Toronto, ON

misterooga

I'm leaning towards that...

I did notice this though on »Re: **New rCable speeds and rates (in Rogers serving areas)**
said by TSI Marc:

right so the 25 meg speed, there is a CRTC decision that will happen soon that will raise our cost on that speed. so the price you see today.. in say, 3-4 months we will likely have to raise it.

But yes, I think I'll check out the modem.

Any other modem out there or will this last me few years?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to misterooga

Premium Member

to misterooga
Sounds like you are having occasional evening congestion problems, and the modem is definitely suspect here. I think especially if factory resets seem to help most of the time. Sunday is the worst for congestion, Sunday with a new run of Orange is the New Black must be close to the worst of the worst. So, it not helping last night isn't so surprising.
said by misterooga:

By the way, I have a grandfathered plan: Cable 18 Pro. Is the speed 18 Mbps: 512 kbps? I'm looking at Teksavvy website and I think it's the same price Cable 25...which is faster. Hmm...

It depends. There is a future cost risk to Cable 25. Rogers has applied to the CRTC to increase the wholesale cost by more than $7. Meanwhile, there is no similar cost risk to Cable 18. However, Cable 25's 2mbit/s upload speed is a huge improvement over Cable 18's 512kbit/s upload. In addition, if the price increase is less severe, and I think it is likely to be less than $7, then Cable 25 will be the best value going for the average user.

For modem, until June 15th, you can swap to a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 for $40. You can also go for a Technicolor DCM475 or DCM476 at around $80. Technologically, they will both work perfectly well on Cable 25, and they are both a huge improvement over the SB5101. The Technicolor modems will definitely cause fewer bureaucratic issues in future. They will still be official modems in six months. The Motorola modems will be somewhat like your current SB5101--you're allowed to continue with it, but it gets blamed when issues arise.
misterooga
Toronto, ON

misterooga

Thanks for the tips.
said by Teddy Boom:

For modem, until June 15th, you can swap to a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 for $40. You can also go for a Technicolor DCM475 or DCM476 at around $80.

Hmmm.. swap? With Teksavvy or is there a place that sells DCM476 at $80 besides Canada Computers?

I'm debating whether to buy DCM476 from kijiji...since some of them advertise 'unlocked...' I didn't realize modems were locked too...
said by Teddy Boom:

However, Cable 25's 2mbit/s upload speed is a huge improvement over Cable 18's 512kbit/s upload.

I haven't noticed significant issues with upload since I don't download/upload that much... (monthly usage seems 50GB in average) though I guess having 2mbit/s upload can't hurt.

But yes...the whole prospect of fee increase after modem upgrade seems a bit...

Then again, it seems DCM 476 is supported elsewhere too, so I guess it won't be a total write-off.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Modem swap, means upgrade your modem. You have to let TekSavvy know the new numbers. They turn the new one on, turn the old one off, hence swap.

Even TekSavvy can come close to $80 I think. Open box, plus the D2 upgrade discount, plus shipping and taxes. Should come to about $80. I have units for $80. Some online dealers seem to get to about $80 too after shipping and taxes. It is about the best price you can do right now without getting lucky on a single unit sale.

If you are concerned about flexibility, then you definitely don't want to bother with the Motorola modems, ya...

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

4 edits

Pir8pete to misterooga

to misterooga
said by misterooga:

I'm debating whether to buy DCM476 from kijiji...since some of them advertise 'unlocked...' I didn't realize modems were locked too...

no such thing as a locked modem, only cell phones

either it's not on the approved list, or on a black list of some odd reason it was modded, stolen or something funny and the isp found out. I've never heard of any situations like this personally.

go get your self a sb6141, best hardware on teksavvy's list till they make a 24x8 SB even on a lower tier it'll work better

I've been dealing with the motorola since the SB1000 cards and 2100 and SB2100D days where upload was on a phone line jack on the back of the modem lol