telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer

Re: BHN fixed my static IP, but now cannot get 192.168.100.1

Using my own router, and the tech before he left said the modem was in bridge mode. After initially resetting the modem, even when plugged into my router, I was able to get to 192.168.100.1 and was able to put the modem into bridge mode myself following Gary's steps, before my static IP was put on there. But now after the tech left, I cannot get to the modem's admin page. I may try directly connecting to the modem later tonight...

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

The tech that swapped my modem also told me it was in Bridge mode.

I had to get in touch with Gary to have him put it into bridge mode.

What kind of IP address is you router getting? You should see your static IP as the router's WAN IP. If you are getting a 192.168.x.x IP, then you most likely aren't in bridge mode. Gary swore up and down I was in bridge mode, but after he went into it, and it rebooted, my router lost the 192.168.0.3 WAN IP and went back to my usual BHN IP.

You might have to connect directly to the modem, then put the modem into bridge mode, and then reconnect the router. I believe you are supposed to reboot the modem between swaps (so it can bind to the new MAC address).

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a static IP? I thought about one myself because I want to move my Minecraft server from a hosting provider to a box in my house, but with a dynamic IP, I could see problems.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

I did not get a modem swapped, just reprogrammed for my static.

When you have static, the router will not just "get" the IP, so I set my router to manually assigned IP and it has my static IP.

I have static because I run quite a few services from my HTPC and it was easier to have the static assigned. Gary will tell you that his hasn't changed in a very long time and such, and I know I could use DDNS services (which I did for a while but did not like it much). Static IP was just plain easier.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

That's right... The router has your IP Programmed into it to.... DOH!!! Shows you how much I know about that... LOL

At this point, I would say Direct and get Chris to handle it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

The tech that swapped my modem also told me it was in Bridge mode.

I had to get in touch with Gary to have him put it into bridge mode.

What kind of IP address is you router getting? You should see your static IP as the router's WAN IP. If you are getting a 192.168.x.x IP, then you most likely aren't in bridge mode. Gary swore up and down I was in bridge mode, but after he went into it, and it rebooted, my router lost the 192.168.0.3 WAN IP and went back to my usual BHN IP.

You might have to connect directly to the modem, then put the modem into bridge mode, and then reconnect the router. I believe you are supposed to reboot the modem between swaps (so it can bind to the new MAC address).

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a static IP? I thought about one myself because I want to move my Minecraft server from a hosting provider to a box in my house, but with a dynamic IP, I could see problems.

Travis this isn't exactly how it happened. If you remember you got a bit impatient and called in and the rep bridged you but did so in the wrong order. This particular modem if you bridge it wrong does very bad things...universe ending type things and once it happens (doesnt happen all the time but it does happen) there is no recovery as you found out. It even locks me out of the device despite being defaulted multiple times. When and if the condition occurs it is game over. So what we did (you and I) was take your old BHTV modem (same brand) and move it over to service internet needs pending tech to come out, restore statics and replace the modem that lost its mind. You will note that in in every instance where I guide people to bridge this modem I make it very clear you must initiate the commands in a very specific order or very bad bad things can happen....you won the bad luck lotto that night

1) either you or the rep defaulted your modem (pushed the reset button) tossing your statics
2) someone the rep or you entered the bridge commands in the wrong order causing the modem to lose its mind
3) by the time I came into that picture I could not save you..even I was locked out of the device so we went to plan B
System

Anon

(topic move) BHN fixed my static IP, but now cannot get 192.168.100.1

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 9 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Internet] OffTopicSplit

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: BHN fixed my static IP, but now cannot get 192.168.100.1

He got impatient and called in? Isn't that what phone reps are for?