share rss forum feed

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[Carpentry] Nailgun Recommendations

Anyone have opinions one way or another on type or manufacturer for nailgun?
Project is expected to be ~325 feet of crown (MDF, 45 degree) and ~250 ft. of base (Pine, 1x6, cap, and little ogee at inside corner).

I'm willing to get pneumatic or battery or corded?, but budget is a concern. This project is going to be done over time, so I don't know if renting makes sense or not.

Am I being crazy, and should I just do it by hammer?

All suggestions are welcome if it is to just say "hire someone".

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

"Hire someone" is what you do after you messed it up.
Renting is an option, but not really.

Remember, it is not about how many times you use the power tool. It's all about how many of them you have.

Hammer is not an option. 600' of moulding with a hammer and nail punch is going to be miserable.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to Energystream

One small project? I'd use a hammer and nailset.
Otherwise, get a cheap-ass finish nailer for $50.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Energystream

For something this small I would go with nunya's suggestion of a hammer and a nailset, especially since you are saying budget is an issue.

I'm doing a lot of base and crown in my house currently and it's also done over time as I don't have a lot of consecutive time, so I got the Porter Cable air compressor and 3 guns set (16GA, 18GA and a stapler) - »www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable···03471431. But I'm planning to do a lot of wood projects so wasn't buying it for just this job.

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
kudos:1
reply to Energystream

I'd hit Craigslist and buy a used pancake compressor with a finish nailer.

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dodge

Didn't see this set when I was looking, that actually looks pretty decent. 200 is not too bad for all of that, may be able to use the compressor for something else as well.

I don't know if I would have the patience to put in 500 nails with a hammer.

Dodge
Premium

You didn't see it when you were looking because in-store price is actually $269 (I don't have a reasonable explanation to this stupidity on HD's part).

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY

Prob also because the Home Depot by me is a shit storm. I die a little inside everytime I walk in there.

I will try to buy it online and pick-up in store. We shall see. If it works, thanks for the recommendation.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to Energystream

Is there a harbor freight nearby? For a project like this cost may be best. I picked up a floor nailer when doing the hardwood floors upstairs, cost was better than renting and cheaper than buying a pro nailer.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

join:2001-03-31
Not on map
reply to Dodge

My local Hd has in-store price at $199.00

Dodge
Premium

1 recommendation

When I was buying it a few months ago the website was saying 199. I went to the store and their price sticker said 269. I asked them wtf, and they told me they don't compete against their site! I just looked at them, took out my phone and standing right in front of him and ordered for in store pick up. Then their online system glitched out and gave it to me cheaper. On top of it to be a complete dick, I demanded a customer satisfaction 10% off, which the store manager gave me.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to Energystream

Buy the compressor and nailgun at Harbor Freight. Everything is cheap and if it breaks down, you're not out much.
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

You can get a decent finish nailer at HD cheaper than the crap at HF.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to Energystream

Ide go HD or hammer and nails. HF sucks when it comes to nail guns.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by rody_44:

Ide go HD or hammer and nails. HF sucks when it comes to nail guns.

My father-in-law has used them to re-side his entire house with cedar shingles and redo his whole roof. I wouldn't trust HF nailers either but you can get plenty of use out of them.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24

i have used HF nail guns, prolly have 7 of them,

other then the weight, they have been flawless.

we just reframed a entire roof, shot 4000 nails, not a SINGLE jam in the framing gun,

i did 2 entire roofs with their roofing gun, and over 10,00 nails through various other ones

you guys keep not buying them, keep my prices low please

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I'd ordinarily say for a "one time" project to get the HF crap and you come out ahead if it lasts longer than the project. In this case, the CP crap from HF is too close in price to the low level stuff from Lowe's Depot. Sometimes HF will trick you.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24

nothing was comparable, air compressors yes, but the guns not so much, the frame and roof nailer were both over 100 plus more at HD at the time of purchase.

don't forget you can pretty much get 20-25% offr every single item at HF with a coupon which i use when the gun is on sale to begin with, anyone who pays full price at HF is an idiot

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to Energystream

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. Base molding, no big deal with a hammer. But crown with a hammer? Never again! The idea of holding the crown in exactly the right place at the right angle with one hand, nail in fingers, and banging it with the hammer in the other hand is the essence of stupidity mixed with boneheadedness. Don't ask how I know that. Get the cheap compressor and a finish nail gun and do it right.

dw

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

That's the way "carpenters" did it until finish nailers and cheap portable air compressors became available. They could do some amazing finish work.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to dick white

said by dick white:

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. Base molding, no big deal with a hammer. But crown with a hammer? Never again! The idea of holding the crown in exactly the right place at the right angle with one hand, nail in fingers, and banging it with the hammer in the other hand is the essence of stupidity mixed with boneheadedness. Don't ask how I know that. Get the cheap compressor and a finish nail gun and do it right.

+100

And do NOT over-oil the nail gun (the gun needs a couple of drops only) otherwise you'll get spots of oil on the moulding which will be a bitch to paint over.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

That's the way "carpenters" did it until finish nailers and cheap portable air compressors became available. They could do some amazing finish work.

Yes they did some great work back in the day that way, but that was also an era when labour was cheap and having a couple of assistants to stand holding the moulding with their hands over their heads all day was commonplace. For a DIY'er, a nail gun is the only logical choice.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

I don't think that Labor was that cheap as only the well heeled could afford it but the big reason was the carpenters were skilled craftsmen that knew their craft. Most of the intricate detail work now can't be replicated. Very, very few have the knowledge and skills to do it.

Shucks I'm a DIY'er and I just drafted the wife as my helper when repairing after Isabel.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Energystream

I have used one of these for a few projects. Works well for trim. Though I already had the batteries.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One-Pl···03810823

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Thanks all for the opinions. I got the 200 dollar air compressor and 3 gun kit as having a compressor around could be useful.

I had thought about electric, but my portable tools are DeWalt and their guns were pricey. Other brands were a possibility but I didn't think battery was that much greater than air for what I was planning on doing.

I'll buy stuff that isn't powered from Harbor Freight, but Power tools I believe are hit and miss, and I like my limbs and eyes. If you get good use out of it, and hasn't fallen apart yet, more power to you.

Miter saw just came in as well DeWalt DWT715 so should be able to start project soon (though planning on taking my time) and will give updates.

Dodge
Premium

said by Energystream:

and I like my limbs and eyes.

Don't know how much experience you have with air powered tools, but make sure to wear eye protection. You never know when you are going to blindly shoot a nail into another nail hidden nail and the damn thing can ricochet if it's at an angle. If you are using the air compressor in a confined space, get ear plugs.

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
reply to Energystream

I realize the OP has made his choice already... but if others stumble upon this thread
+1 for Ridgid nailers, I have this one -> »www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-1-8···c27dZ18g

Oil free, and shoots every time

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Energystream

I have a cheap Princess Auto (think Canadian version of Harbor Freight) brad nailer that has shot easily 10,000 brads in the last few years. It's not fancy; but it does the job.

Got a pancake compressor super cheap at a local pawn shop - it needed a new regulator; which was also a Princess Auto find.

I think my total investment in the compressor, new regulator, and brad nailer was maybe $75?

I'd go with an air-powered brad nailer, letting your budget be your guide... $200 should be an easy price point to achieve, though...

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I'd ordinarily say for a "one time" project to get the HF crap and you come out ahead if it lasts longer than the project. In this case, the CP crap from HF is too close in price to the low level stuff from Lowe's Depot. Sometimes HF will trick you.

reading the HF reviews, it's actually the junk nails they sell that make the nail guns not work.. using sears nails in it makes it work.. one problem is where do you get parts for a HF nail gun when it breaks. sears craftsman nail guns are very good, and cheap, and the nails they sell are very good, and if you need parts, it's easy to get them.. most tools are made in china anyway, so there really can't be much difference in quality..

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

I always get my nails from HF. Never had any issues out of the ordinary.