All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Broheim
join:2014-06-09

Broheim

Using a Customer Owned ASUS Router - Advanced Functions

I have an ASUS ac-66u router. I live in Columbus and was hit by that major WOW outage that happened last week (6-3-14). Before the outage I had my ASUS configured so the ASUS's WAN IP was the same as the WOW gateway public IP. I also had DCHP running on the ASUS. The main reason I want this configuration is so I can use the "AiDisk" and "AiCloud" features on the ASUS. To use these features outside of my home network, I need the ASUS to be using the public IP of the gateway (at least that's how it worked before the outage). Before the outage I was able to access the hard drive I had connected to the ASUS from work or my cell's 4g.

After the outage my gateway would not restore internet service. I called customer support and after many attempts to fix the issue the tech couldn't even login to the gateway. I also could not login when hardwired to the gateway using the 192.168.0.1. The techs showed up at my house and got internet restored but gateway's settings were restored to the default settings. Now after messing with the gateway's settings I cannot get my router to work using the gateway's public IP. The only way I can get my router to work is to use a LAN IP of the gateway. My ASUS's AiDisk and AiCloud work fine in this configuration while on my home network, but I can no longer access the hard drive from another network

Any and all suggestions to fix this would be appreciated. I've tried using the DMZ feature of the WOW gateway, putting my ASUS in the same subnet, and some other stuff, but nothing I've tried helps. The thing that gets me is that I had it working perfectly before the outage. Maybe I'm doing something wrong this time around...wish I had wrote down the exact process I used last time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Assuming that the WOW gateway is a modem/router unit, I am surprised you could get connectivity with the WOW public IP address on the ASUS WAN port. Ordinarily, the WOW gateway would be handing out RFC1918 IP addresses to connected devices (typically 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24). To get the public IP address on the ASUS WAN port would require that the WOW gateway be paced in bridge mode.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to Broheim

to Broheim
Whats the brand and model of your modem? It needs to be put in bridge mode.
Broheim
join:2014-06-09

Broheim to NormanS

to NormanS
Not at home to get the exact model but it's an arris ultra TV and Internet gateway. I have read all about the bridge mode issue but somehow got it working before using the public ip on the asus Wan.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix

As far as I know the Ultra TV gateway doesn't support bridge mode. I don't see any way you were possibly using the WAN ip address on your router. You can try DMZ as others have, but this is still double nat.

»[GUIDE] Ultra TV Bridge Mode