spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mewing80
join:2008-11-14
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

Google chrome, Ad-Aware and FiOS

I recently updated to a new version of Google chrome and ad-aware antivirus, and since then I have noticed slowness getting to websites and sometimes refreshing alot of pages. I have tried OpenDNS and Google DNS with not that much improvement. Is it my browser and anti-virus or is it a FiOS issue?

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

You get similar issue using ffox, or ie?

How about different computers.
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

Just have one computer and from what I can tell IE runs well

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Then you have your answer
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

Not really, I have uninstalled ad aware and IE is a little slow, also uninstalled chrome as well, malware check came back ok any suggestions?
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by mewing80:

Not really, I have uninstalled ad aware and IE is a little slow, also uninstalled chrome as well, malware check came back ok any suggestions?

install ghostery addon for chrome
buffalobillj
join:2014-05-05
Buffalo, NY

buffalobillj to mewing80

to mewing80
buffalo ny: when you check your computer behavior with a kitchen timer or stopwatch before and after uninstalling ad-aware any other antivirus programs you may see a speed difference. download belarc advisor free from cnet downloads. look it over to see all of what is going on with your computer. it shows me i have some updates to do. then depending on your windows version, simply use free microsoft security essentials or defender. avoid using multiple antivirus programs which can really slow things down.
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7 to mewing80

to mewing80
Don't use adaware. Use MS Essentials.

Uninstall Chrome plug in that was installed by any 3rd party AV suites or any anti malware software.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to mewing80

to mewing80
I had noticed the same with timeouts while running Chrome on OS X. I deleted the program and have gone with Firefox since to take advantage of non-tracking, not that i have anything to hide anyway.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to mewing80

to mewing80
said by mewing80:

Hmmmm... so no issues before the Chrome update and ad-aware antivirus update, but you now have issues? And there aren't any wide-spread complaints such as yours from FiOS users. Dr. Watson, what would you say (says Mr. Holmes knowing the answer)?
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

I have uninstalled adaware and comodo firewall also did a spyware check which did indicate some spyware which I did remove, have seen some improvemnt wondering if my malware bytes which was updated recently could be the cause of this?
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

2 edits

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>mewing80: wondering if my malware bytes which was updated recently could be the cause of this?

Doubtful...

Which version of the MBAM software are you runnning?

I used to use AdAware but a number of years ago (3-4), I uninstalled it because updated version (at that time) caused all sorts of problems on my system--again, at that time. Since then I've used Malwarebytes AntiMalware pretty much exclusively along with the free version of Avast for antivirus--on my Win7/64bit/Pro system I use an older version of Avast free (8.0.1489) because the current version has some problems with updating the a/v signature files on Win7 but works fine on WinXP systems. I also use an older version of ZoneAlarm Free (version 9.2.106.000--before all the bloatware that is in current versions).

I've never installed Chrome...
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

The version of MBAM I am using is 2.0.2.1012. I use windows firewall I will look into using Avast for my antivirus used it along time ago not sure if MS Essentials has a antivirus. I notice while doing a speedtest on both browsers that the speed drops near the end of the download test. I did a ping test came out fine. I have changed the wifi channel to 11 as well.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

4 edits

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>mewing80: The version of MBAM I am using is 2.0.2.1012.

Hmmmm...it could be that MBAM 2.02.1012 might be causing a slowdown problem although you did say a scan had found adware/spyware/malware so it's a toss-up.

In the past, I've tended to update to MBAM's new versions but I was so taken aback by their recent redesign--I installed it on my sister's new system--that I immediately uninstalled it and downloaded and installed version 1.75--I've been meaning to pop over to the MBAM user forums to express my displeasure with the new design but I've not quite gotten around to it. MBAM has also apparently changed their license model to an annual fee--used to be that you paid once and that was it--which, while, of course, they are free to do that, doesn't endear them to me...'-}}

Anyway...if you'd like to go back to the older MBAM version you can by uninstalling the current version and then you can do a browser search on "mbam old version" (no quotes) or use either of the following links. I've never had a problem with bad downloads from either oldapps.com or bleepingcomputer.com as both are good and safe download sites--you may be able to download MBAM 1.75 directly from MBAM but after a quick look, I've not found a link:

»www.oldapps.com/malwareb ··· es=12090

»www.bleepingcomputer.com ··· malware/

MBAM is good about supporting older versions of their software and I've not had a problem with updating the signature files while using an older version of the software.

I don't know enough about MSEssentials to advise you on it. I used to use Avira (free) for my antivirus but when I had my new system custom built a year or so ago, the builder had installed Avast (free) and I decided to live with it a bit and found it less obtrusive than Avira so I kept it.

As to firewalls, I prefer a firewall that allows me to control not only incoming but also any outgoing online access and fortunately, while the ZoneAlarm free version I use is old, it works and is significantly less bloated than the more current versions of ZA.
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

Re: Google chrome, Ad-Aware and FiOS

I tried ZA long time ago and was effecting my speed greatly so I don't use it. I just went back to using windows firewall plus my router also has a firewall as well. I don't think ether one is causing speed issues. But as I mentioned before I did speed tests on both IE and Chrome and they drop off significantly near the end I never seen that before. I did a ping test as well and no problems there.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick to mewing80

to mewing80
Anti-virus, adaware, toolbars and maware always seem to be the biggest cause of slow PCs. Remove them all then install Microsoft security essentials. See »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· download
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

1 edit

tlbepson to mewing80

Premium Member

to mewing80
>>mewing80: I tried ZA long time ago and was effecting my speed greatly so I don't use it.

The more recent versions of ZoneAlarm (free) are soooo bloated with crap that I think that's why it can slow response time on a system. As i noted above, I use version 9.2.106.000 which is the last "small" version clocking in with a download filesize of about 46mb (vs. well over 100mb to 200mb for the more current versions) and I have no problems with system slowdowns.

You have to be somewhat careful when doing a browser search for older versions of ZoneAlarm Free that you specify "free" and then double check on the old version site that it's the free version you are downloading.

In case you decide to try it again, the oldversion.com is a safe, reputable download site and has multiple versions of ZoneAlarm Free:
»www.oldversion.com/windo ··· rm-free/
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

I downloaded MS Essentials and use windows firewall also changed the wifi channel to 11 and it seemed to do the trick.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>mewing80: and it seemed to do the trick.

Glad you got it sorted...