how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

Fios #10

Could this be true or netflix is trolling lol.

I am one of the people who don't care about Netflxi at all.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Sure it can be true. The quality of the last mile vs. the quality of the backbone are two different topics. And seeing how cheap VZ is today, what would make them invest in their broadband backbone and peering arrangements, when they wont even maintain their copper network in non-FIOS zones or build out FIOS unless forced to by a local government?

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Zenit:

when they wont even maintain their copper network in non-FIOS zones

But it is fios that is notably low (no one is surprised that Verizon DSL sucked) FIBER is (supposedly) the holy grail, unstoppable by the actions of mere mortals...
or does it too have an Achilles heel?

dotditdot

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

6 recommendations

reply to patt2k
It's very true. I just streamed a movie from Netflix last night on my Fios connection; it was horribly pixelated, almost unwatchable.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

or does it too have an Achilles heel?

Peering agreements.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

reply to tshirt
Of course it does have an Achilles heel. The Achilles heel is the equipment on both ends and the network upstream. There are some small CLECs in Western Maryland that offer FTTH. You would think it would be fast, right?
Nope!

Max speed on offer is 6mbit. If its your only choice, well, its better than most DSL or Cellular. But you would expect more from a PON architecture.
Its the backbone that matters when your last mile is great.

Just a bit more bashing of VZ I have to do now - in 1994 VZ (C&P Tel of MD) and the State Gov of MD signed an agreement to move to FTTP in the entire C&P Tel footprint by 2012. VZ has missed this deadline entirely, and they will never meet it. The government seems uninterested in enforcing it, not caring that citizens in the west cant get good broadband*.

*Unless they are lucky (well this is relative) enough to live in a Comcast area. The speeds Comcast offers are above and beyond any of the small CLECs, VZ DSL, or the cute little local Cable Cos.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL

4 recommendations

reply to patt2k
then why did you comment as fast as possible as the top post in the thread?

I think you're trolling, not netflix.

Jerry Y

@144.160.226.x
I wonder if some of the FiOS problems are bad wi-fi. Netflix was terrible over my wi-fi, but it's been fine since I moved it to ethernet.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

3 recommendations

reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

does it too have an Achilles heel?

Yup, investment and maintenance $ dollars.

When FiOS was originally rolling out it was head and shoulders above what cable could offer. Since dramatically scaling back roll out and investment... cable has caught up even though fiber can easily outperform cable.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jerry Y
said by Jerry Y :

I wonder if some of the FiOS problems are bad wi-fi. Netflix was terrible over my wi-fi, but it's been fine since I moved it to ethernet.

Although some houses might have a poor wi-fi setup, the primary issue is between Verizon and a whole slew of tier 1 transit providers.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dfxmatt
Guess we will never know. Netflix refuses to release detailed information as to how these results are compiled. But since it is Netflix no one ever questions the accuracy of these results.

pumpkinhead7

join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

5 recommendations

reply to patt2k
Personally I believe netflix over the ISP any day of the week.

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL
reply to silbaco
So much of This

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to tshirt
FIOS offers the ability to be the holy grail, the best a connection can get, however if they don't put the money into the upstream connection it's wasted.

Think of it this way you could conceivably wire and entire town with fiber optic cable and the as an uplink use a t-1.
the fiber has tons of capacity more than one town needs, but if the upstream connection is only 1.44 mbps you aren't going any faster than that.

This is obviously an exaggerated example to prove a point , my fios connection is generally very good and fast but I have problems with netflix sometimes thanks to peering at peak periods, because the upstream connection is saturated, while connections to other points on the internet zoom along.
I don't think my streaming speeds are as bad as 1.9mbps though, I must be lucky because I'm out in the suburbs, I do get pixelated messes at peak times from time to time though, especially during the winter when it's snowing or raining and everyone is indoors.

Verizon should be ashamed of these numbers

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to norm
Haha! I cracked up when I read this, thanks! So true! We've finally found fiber's Achilles heel!

jjeffeory

USA
reply to Jerry Y
Not mine. I'm not a fan of wi-fi security, and wire most everything possible when I have a choice.

jjeffeory

USA
reply to silbaco
Not true, but I have more reason to distrust Verizon than Netflix, as Verizon regularly screws me in other aspects of their business; why not this too. They're not Comcast bad, but they're closer to Comcast than to Netflix.

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
reply to pumpkinhead7
I wouldn't

tlylework

@76.221.210.x
reply to dotditdot
The intersting thing in all this is AT&T Uverse, which I have, as a family we were streaming two movies Friday night, around 8:00pm EST which I am guessing would be one of the prime times and never had one stutter, and this is Uverse which is way down the pack. Interesting for sure. I hope AT&T doesn't start doing the same thing.