planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

2 edits

1 recommendation

planet to el_huason

to el_huason

Re: Red Button Flaw Exposes Major Vulnerability In Millions of Smart TVs

I haven't encountered any issues with smart technologies yet. Last year my water meter was converted to RF. My bills have gone down since then. Supposedly it transmits usage every hour. I purchased a new Samsung 55 inch LCD last year but I avoided an additional $100+ by keeping it on the dumb side. I too have a couple other flat screens (Sony Bravias) both dumb.

Can't you simply block internet access via settings though. I know for my wireless devices, I choose to connect to my router, not the other way around.

I shudder to think of controlling my home utilities, door security, etc via a laptop or iPhone.

edit: Blocking access though would sure interfere with a person's viewing of Netflix and Hulu Plus or quick access to their Facebook via the lazyboy.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

said by planet:

Can't you simply block internet access via settings though. I know for my wireless devices, I choose to connect to my router, not the other way around.

No, you can't. The HbbTV vulnerability works for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts, i.e. "rabbit ears" or a rooftop antenna. It takes over the TV, and if your TV happens to be logged in to Facebook at the time, all bets are off.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by Walter Dnes:

said by planet:

No, you can't. The HbbTV vulnerability works for OTA (Over The Air) broadcasts, i.e. "rabbit ears" or a rooftop antenna. It takes over the TV, and if your TV happens to be logged in to Facebook at the time, all bets are off.

How would a TV be logged into facebook if it's not connected to a network/the internet?