Search similar:

uniqs

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

Google Fiber off the default list

As many here have complained about before, Google Fiber is now included in the "smaller ISPs" list.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Yeah, it makes sense to put GFiber on a separate list.

One interesting thing I found - friends that have GFiber 'free' 5Mb service are getting Netflix 1080p. I was able to validate on a PS3 that shows the Netflix 1080 mode when pressing Select button on PS3 controller. It stays on 1080 even if stressing the 5M connection with downloads on other computers, never stepping down to 720 or SD. Netflix 1080p needs 4.8Mbps.

This implies to me that Google may be allowing higher connection to Netflix on the 5M tier and only limiting all other traffic to 5M or maybe giving Netflix higher priority. Will try to do more testing next time.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Most lines are over-provisioned and it depends if they are getting HD or SuperHD and the ABR of the material. Netflix is generous in their sizing. I've watched SuperHD (reco 7 Mb) streams take 4-5--and streaming isn't constant it bursts and depends upon the sequence. Even though its 1080p as they say, the material quality is nowhere near as good as blu-ray, and I see lots of artifacts, gradation issues, and macroblocking until I sit far enough away (10+ feet) in my setup.

So fair-use algorithms may be in play for other stuff going on.

My link is provisioned 50/25 and I regularly see 70/23 even during prime times (eve).
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
They had to remove it from the main list to make the results look slightly-less BS (they had under 10k subscribers when they first made the list). No doubt it will be back as soon as they actually start building out in Austin.

Not to mention that making Google Fiber look like a large ISP backfired and could help move the Comcast merger through.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

said by silbaco:

not to mentiom that making google fiber look like a large ISP backfired and could help move the Comcast merger through.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to existenz

to existenz
said by existenz:

One interesting thing I found - friends that have GFiber 'free' 5Mb service are getting Netflix 1080p. I was able to validate on a PS3 that shows the Netflix 1080 mode when pressing Select button on PS3 controller. It stays on 1080 even if stressing the 5M connection with downloads on other computers, never stepping down to 720 or SD. Netflix 1080p needs 4.8Mbps.

This implies to me that Google may be allowing higher connection to Netflix on the 5M tier and only limiting all other traffic to 5M or maybe giving Netflix higher priority. Will try to do more testing next time.

The Providers are measured on Streaming Speeds, because Verizon FiOS is around 10Mbps on the low end. So Netflix must be measuring a steady Video Stream from each Provider, which must be different than just total speed from a Provider. I have FTTH then Structured Wiring to my HDTV, and I have no problems Streaming from Amazon in HD with Synchronous 15Mbps.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Most lines are over-provisioned and it depends if they are getting HD or SuperHD and the ABR of the material.

Google isn't overprovisioning according to speedtest, which shows about 5/1. But I did run this test...
»www.netflix.com/WiMovie/ ··· d=439131

...and see that Netflix 1080 starts at about 3.8Mbps and up to 5.8Mbps so there is enough room to download while also getting '1080'. Will have to try that Netflix test on a GFiber 5M connection and see how high it goes.