Search similar:

uniqs

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to leibold

to leibold

Re: [Awww] Robins, a coyotee and, of course, our beloved Helix trolls

I think I began to run into trouble because Windows Media Player kept automatically adding every file I tried to the play list and once I added a version that didn't work for me, it kept defaulting to that one and not actually trying to play the new one.

I should be happy that some have been able to see since allowing the uploading of big files was likely never Justin's intention.

Also, I seem to be the only one thrilled with this video, so I'll just let it be and move on to watching for signs of baby robins.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to Sunny

to Sunny

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

Is anyone able to download the zip file in this post, unzip it and view the *.avi video? Anyone?

I can see it, too, with the .avi extension.

The zipped one in the post below is the same but zipped, isn't it? I guess I didn't look at the one you asked about above. Sorry.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Sorry, you lost me. The zip file I wanted you to download, unzip and view? I gave a link to that post. That's the one I wanted you to try.

The zipped one in the post below is the same but zipped, isn't it?

That's where you lost me. I know I did try to previously upload the *.avi file without zipping it first. When I downloaded it, I couldn't play it. It is possible the site zipped it, but I didn't know that because it kept the *.avi extension. Perhaps if I had renamed it to have the zip extension, I could have unzipped it and been able to play it. I didn't try that.
Sunny

1 recommendation

Sunny to onDvine

to onDvine
Anyway, the important part to me is that you were able to see the point where she suddenly noticed the ladder and so obviously narrowed her eyes and went on alert while she checked to see if it might attack. I thought that was hilarious, but then I didn't have eleventy-three notices in advance it was going to happen.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
I'm confused, too. Will play the one from this post: »Re: [Awww] Robins, a coyotee and, of course, our beloved Helix trolls to see if it's the same or different from the one in this post: »Re: [Awww] Robins, a coyotee and, of course, our beloved Helix trolls which I was able to view. Am not sure I saw narrowed eyes.

Edit: Yes, they're the same. I saw the way she moved her head to stare, then flew away and came right back to settle on the nest.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

They both started as the same *.avi file. One was uploaded without zipping it (worked for you and didn't work for me after downloading it). The other was added to a zip archive and the zip was uploaded. That did work for me.

I think, as I explained to leibold in IM(?) I was running into a problem with Windows Media Player caching every single success or failure, all by the same name. I think I figured it out, but that was just my problem.

Anyway, all versions of Evil Eye are the same video. Whichever one you can see is great.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

QuickTime and Flip4Mac could not play the avi but I found another player called Mac Media Player that will play the avi.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

'Bout time you stopped messing with my forum and started working on the problem.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Remember payback is H E double hockey sticks.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 edit

Sunny

Meanwhile, back at the Robin Ranch, this is (maybe) Day 15 of incubation and I'm still not certain there are baby birds hatching.

I am starting to worry that she laid eggs that weren't fertilized or that something else is wrong.

Today is our warmest day so far this season with a high of 90 predicted. We're already at 88 degrees at 3:39PM, so we very well could go that high or higher.

Mama Bird, with a body temp of 104 degrees typically, has been sitting on the side of the nest with her beak open most of the day. That may be one drawback of the place she chose for her nest. A breeze might feel good right now and is pretty unlikely where she is.

I could point a big fan in her direction, but would probably only succeed in destroying her ... ummmm ... beauteous decorations. I have water out there but haven't seen her once go near it. I think she knows some neighbors with proper bird baths.

She does seem to think she must not leave that nest very often and the breaks she does take are very short, 2-3 minutes. I hope that it a good sign.
Sunny

1 recommendation

Sunny to sashwa

to sashwa
said by sashwa:

Remember payback is H E double hockey sticks.

What are you going to do? Bribe someone to nuke my account? Didn't I already suggest that?

You will miss me, though. xxoo

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Me knows 2 someones that can do that for me.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny

Go for it then, gurl mod brat. I prolly spend way too much time here anyway.

Meanwhile back to my topic, if I remember what it was ...

I found some confirmation about the open beak.

Here ---> »www.learner.org/jnorth/t ··· nos.html

Why is the mother's mouth open in the second video clip?

Some students suggested she could be squawking at a predator close to the nest, but if you look closely, you can see that even though she moves her head a little, looking about, her throat isn't wiggling at all. Also, when she shifts position, she still keeps her mouth open. What the mother is doing is panting! Her body must warm the eggs, but sitting in the sun as she's doing she gets a little overheated. Her tongue doesn't loll out the way a dog's does, but the open mouth helps her to keep cool.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

2 recommendations

jopfef to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny
Don't know about anyone else, but I thought the "Stink-eye" video was awesome!!!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

2 recommendations

Sunny

Panting1.avi
4,359,322 bytes
Panting2.avi
3,172,594 bytes

Good. Getting ready to upload two videos with choices of extension. I'll upload them without the zip. Let me know if you want me to zip one or more. I suspect the first .mov file is just a tiny bit too big, but there will be an avi and a an mpg just in case.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny
Geez, that .MOV file is huge!

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

2 recommendations

sashwa to Sunny

Mod

to Sunny
I was able to view all of these.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny to jopfef

to jopfef
Yes, but the one I couldn't upload was hugerer.
Sunny

1 recommendation

Sunny to sashwa

to sashwa
Awwwww, that's so sweet. sashie is learning to use her computer.
Sunny

2 recommendations

Sunny

From what I can see out there in her nest pooka, it sure looks like Mama Robin is stuffing food down her babies' throats. At this time of day her little hideaway is too dark to be certain.

If so, I'll try to get videos of that tomorrow.
Sunny

3 recommendations

Sunny

She IS feeding them! She IS! I can hardly wait until tomorrow to get videos! This is soooo awesome!

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

4 recommendations

leibold

MVM

If there is any risk at all of you scaring her away from taking care of the babies then I rather take your word for it instead of watching the video (but videos would indeed be awesome).

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

2 recommendations

sashwa to Sunny

Mod

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

2 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

said by sashwa:

said by Sunny:

Nice job on the sarcasm, Sash.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to leibold

to leibold
I hear you. Me, too. I seriously doubt there is a chance of me scaring her at this point. While she is aware of me, she pretty much ignores me. Now, if I were to drag a ladder up to the front of the deck, climb up into her space, she would likely either leave or peck me to death.

So far, I've had no opportunity to get the desired video. Probably just timing, but I still could be mistaken about when she actually started incubation from what I have read. Once I'm sure she actually is feeding her young, I should have plenty of opportunity because the FAQs tell me Mama (usually with the help of Papa) provide 40 feedings a day!

Apparently, she would likely have laid an egg a day until she had the desired number (3 or 4). When she started sitting on the nest, I counted that day as beginning of incubation, but she may have just been protecting the eggs from the cold so they wouldn't die, but not actually have started incubation.

The female robin is adept at controlling the temperature for the eggs. Since the temps were in the 50s at night while she was in the process of nesting, when she was on the nest and I thought incubation had begun, she was probably hovering over the eggs to keep them from getting too cold. So, incubation probably started later than I estimated, but that's why I kept hinting it was only an estimate.

I will be watchful, though, and be sensitive to any sign I might be bothering her.

Q. Why has the mother stopped sitting on the nest at night?
I'm trying to figure out if a nest of robins has been abandoned. Can you tell if when the babies are bigger the mother or father stays on the nest at night or do they roost elsewhere? For the past few nights I've notice that the babies are alone (I can them see out of a window) and haven't seen an adult around them for several days. Should I be concerned?

A. By the time the babies are about a week old, the nest is getting crowded, and the babies are capable of keeping themselves warm, all snuggled together. At this point the mother robin starts sleeping on a tree branch again. If she is a wary mother, you might not see her feeding the young because robins are so fearful of alerting predators that they simply don't go near the nest if they notice anyone observing them.

I think I mentioned I am seeing signs of her being more protective in the last couple of days. One sign was her comical inspection of my ladder/tripod, which was inside my house. Remember it is about 10 ft. from the wall of my house to the front of the deck where her nest is. The videos I have posted are magnified nine times, so that can throw off perspective.

Another sign is the fact she is staying closer to the nest. If I make a noise, she will suddenly appear on the back fence and watch carefully for awhile. Once she determines it is just me and not a child from next door stampeding into my yard after a soccer ball, she settles down and continues grazing for insects.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Its hard to scare off robins from the nest. I have 2 houses needing touchups after they leave the nest. We paint right around them and come back later to remove the nest and hit the spots where they lay against the house. They dont seem bothered at all.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 edit

Sunny

Good to know. Thanks, Cory. I have needed to be stern with the young people next door and their 50 or so cousins who come to visit. They do cause her to fly away and watch from a distance. So far, she doesn't seem to be bothered by me. I know the warning calls and she has never used one of those to warning about me.

I just watched her standing on the side of the nest, bringing partially digested food back up and, obviously, feeding it to critter or critters I cannot yet see in that nest. I can tell she sees me, but she continues the feeding. To my knowledge, this obvious behavior only started last evening.

Just to be considerate, I'll give her a bit of time to get used to me watching meal times before trying to take videos, but I suspect she will allow it if I stay inside.

Sometimes the old screen door on the old track (house was built in late '75/early '76) makes a noise when the door is opened, so I'll try to open it while she is away from the nest and grazing. Then I'll have to keep a patient watch because, when she comes back to the nest, she sits on the nest for awhile before she gets up to feed. I'm guessing she wants to make sure the babies get warmed up first.

So far that lazy man of hers has not helped with feeding that I can see. He just sits up in the trees and boasts about his family, then takes off to feed his own face.

Perhaps he will help as they get bigger and hungrier?

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Its possible he is passing off food to her when she flies off for a bit. Usually both feed the young but the males primary job is protection/distraction in case a predator comes near and they are very diligent. Also,theres a chance you may get a repeat performance. Robins mate more than once a year and often use the same nest.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

From what I have read, they may have 2 or 3 broods ahead of this one and he may be caring for those. In general, I am reading that by July they don't have more because they need the rest of the season to finish raising the babies they have already.

Of course, that timing may be a little different here because of the climate.

OK, I am just about to start uploading videos of Mama Robin feeding her little ones! Wait for it!