sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

Re: [Awww] Robins, a coyotee, Icky's buzzard & our beloved Helix trolls

First, I'm not sure a caterpillar can be damned, Jo, and I have no idea if it comes out still moving or not?

As you can see, it did take some practice and some help from Papa with the first one. The second one went down with a bit more ... ummm expertise.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef
Oh, yes, I have a lot more, but it will take awhile to sort through them, pick the best, convert them, rename them, etc. Right now I'm trying to keep the poor little lonely nestling company until she gets brave enough to fly.

She has had several demonstrations from both Ma and Pa and she watched the chickadees quite awhile. Her peep is getting REALLY LOUD NOW.
--
Join Team Helix

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

I guess you'd call it a flying hover?

As compared to a sitting hover?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

Well, the last little nestling is actually THAT timid. When she hovers, her feet stay planted in the nest.

Really worried her whole family has deserted her now. I'm not hearing any replies this afternoon when she peeps. She was getting responses this morning from her siblings. Ma & Pa were dropping by. Now they don't even come when I call "Cheer Cheer Cheerily.."
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to sortofageek
I haven't heard Ma or Pa for quite a long time and can't hear the babies nearby. I was beginning to get worried about the babe in the nest, so I searched. I'll try to believe they won't desert the baby, that they know best.

»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···6AAL73OZ

»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···3AAO9px3

--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

Fledgling #4 is reunited with family now!

I had to go around the house, opening windows, starting fans. From the kitchen window I heard my little bird exclaiming loudly. I didn't think much of it as "she" has done that off and on all afternoon.

When I came back downstairs the nest was empty and there was no sign of her in the yard. I took videos from the inside and the outside of the nest. Definitely gone. Yay!

And, best of all, Papa came to perch upon a neighbor's fence. I videoed him quite awhile. I'm sure he was there to assure me all is well. I think you'll be able to hear the babies cheeping from just behind my back fence in that video.

So, JoJo, tomorrow I'll work on the video situation No way I can upload them all here, but I'll try to pick the best ones to tell the rest of the story. Sorry for grossing you out with the "wiggly green worms." I thought, if I could take it, you certainly could.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

And now to try to convince them not to build another nest here. I don't think I could take it again so soon.
--
Join Team Helix

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

Re: Fledgling #4 is reunited with family now!

said by sortofageek:

Sorry for grossing you out with the "wiggly green worms."

They're kinda cute

if you ask me.
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

Here's the snapshot of Papa assuring me all was well and, I think, thanking me for helping keep the chosen pooka safe for his family.

Lookin' right at me

--
Join Team Helix

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

...Sorry for grossing you out with the "wiggly green worms." I thought, if I could take it, you certainly could.

Sunny, it's not the fact that I can take it or not -- it's the SIZE of that wiggling green thing sliding down that tiny birdie throat that blew me away! I mean, is it still moving once it's inside the behbeh birdie??? Probably not for long, but the idea is absolutely bizarre! Somehow, a worm going down the throat doesn't bother me -- but that caterpillar sure does!!! UGH!!!

--
"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage
reply to sortofageek

Oh, and I am looking forward to additional final videos!

This has been a really enjoyable experience, watching all the videos and the little behbeh birdies growing up and flying out to their new lives.
--
"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

3 recommendations

reply to jopfef

said by jopfef:

it's the SIZE of that wiggling green thing sliding down that tiny birdie's throat.....

OH, YUCK!!!
--
giz~

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

And again, I'm sorry, Jo.

Many of the earthworms are alive when they arrive in the nest, too.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

I will post more videos, with pleasure.

I wasn't expecting to be so melancholy over the empty nest, though. It may take a few days to catch up on chores I should have been doing while baby robin obsessed, too. It's even kinda' hard to look at the videos just now.

I'll get over it.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
Sorting, sorting, sorting, cannot believe how many videos I have of just the last two days.

Edit: Sorry, I have done all I want to do with this today. I'm going to let it rest until tomorrow, want to keep it fun.

--
Join Team Helix

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
Freight Yard

3 recommendations

said by sortofageek:

Sorting, sorting, sorting, cannot believe how many videos I have of just the last two days.

So your new user name is Sortingofageek?
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

4 recommendations

said by Santa Fe:

So your new user name is Sortingofageek?

Sortingofabeak
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

And again, I'm sorry, Jo.

Many of the earthworms are alive when they arrive in the nest, too.

Sunny, you don't need to apologize!

I just had no idea that those little bitty beakies could eat anything that BIG!!! I think the thing that really undid me was that the caterpillar was so big relative to the size of the behbeh birdies, and was still moving. The idea of having anything moving in the tummy area really threw me for a loop. Guess I just never thought of it before. I'm still kinda "Ewwww" at the thought, but I always respect Mother Nature and how she takes care of things.
--

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

We live in the woods of NW CT. One of my favorite pastimes is to return calls to the birds via whistling. With a little practice, it's pretty easy to get close to the original sound by whistling. Pardon my self back patting, but my Red Tail hawk whistle is none too shabby thank you. At times the whistling will induce not only the bird I am calling to sing out, but the entire bird population of the yard will join in as well. One gray catbird keeps coming to visit whenever I sit on the porch. He will perch a few feet away, and on one occasion he hopped down the outdoor to my cellar workshop steps to say hello. I'm beginning to wonder if he is some sort of spirit entity. Also 'round the yard - two very small rabbits, a virtual delight to our grandchildren. My wife threw them carrot pieces the other day which must have startled them, for they each jumped straight up two feet and both (not simultaneously) did a backflip. One of the two also decided to hop down the cellar steps, and is now stuck in my basement. I think I will grab a few dozen clover heads and show him the way out.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 recommendations

reply to jopfef

I was surprised, too, Jo. Still, the baby bird seemed to take it all in stride and be immediately ready for more.

I'll try to get back to working my way through all those video files. So many are similar because I kept filming hoping to catch some of those cuter actions. You don't have time to turn on the camera, set it to 12x size and get in position if you wait 'til they are being cute.

I need to find the best ones, rename them and convert to avi. It takes time.
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to Grumpy

Keep us posted, Grumpy. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting friends.
--
Join Team Helix

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

3 recommendations

The bunny apparently found his way out following a cabbage, lettuce and carrot trail left by my wife. Sumptuous clover clumps are being left untouched. Glad I didn't have to capture, scare him half to death, draw back a bloody stump Monty Python rabbit style gig.

"It's just a lit-ul rabb-et"

Bear tales, chapter 12.3:
Residents of this region are no strangers to black bears, starting in the last ten years or so. It's pretty much the case that if you put out bird seed and feed, the bears will have at it. I bet Mr. Ick has a few in the hood as well. We had a hornet's nest hanging very low on a young maple tree. After a while it got to be around two and a half feet tall, and I vowed to capture it, de hornetize it, and set it up for granddaughter's show and tell some chilly night. The local bear population thought otherwise, and completely demolished it, leaving only a few small scraps of hornet paper mache in their wake. Apparently they enjoy chowing down on the larvae within. My wife arrives at work each morning and two bear heads pop out of the dumpster to greet her. Sister in law had a bear with a head the size of a um, two feet in diameter, on her porch. They aren't aggressive to humans, unless perhaps ones idea of recreation is to take a bath in honey and bird seed and sleep outside?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

Here's the snapshot of Papa assuring me all was well

Looks to me like he is waiting for a reward for all the entertainment that his robin family provided. How about feeding him that cute green worm that Santa Fe See Profile kindly put into this thread

Has there been any news from your avian tenants or have they literally flown out and away ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit

2 recommendations

Reward? He should be happy I'm not charging him for the mess he and his family made.

As for news, I did see Papa on the fence quite awhile that day, but I suspect he was more interested in watching over his chicklets than anything. I saw one baby later that day who had apparently found the way back into my yard and was trying to figure out how to get back to the family. Tried flying over the fence, but couldn't get high enough, finally found a place to squeeze under, which was probably the entrance.

I learned what a baby robin's location call sounds like and also a robin parental call to the babies during the afternoon last chickie spent building courage to fly away. I heard those back and forth calls between parents and babies several times in the next three days, but not so much since. I expect they are expanding their horizons now.

If they are planning another brood this season, it is not around here that I've been able to notice.

And I'M NOT FEEDING MY ROBINS ANYTHING SF OR THAT CLOWN SUGGEST!!!
--
Join Team Helix

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
I will eventually post more videos. My own chicklets are keeping me kinda' busy for now.
--
Join Team Helix

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
Freight Yard

5 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
All you need are these birds to show up!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to sortofageek

Day 12 Robin Nestlings - July 13, 2014

downloadMorning 12 R···2014.avi 3275674 bytes

Squeamish tummy? Skip this one.
downloadMamaFeedingC···ning.avi 15397430 bytes

downloadMaWithBabesA···ning.avi 5181880 bytes

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to sortofageek

Day 13 Robin Nestlings - July 14, 2014

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

Day 14 Robin Nestlings - July 15, 2014

Any time a file name mentions cleaning, skip it if you have a weak stomach.

downloadP1000851-Tom···eFly.avi 10680616 bytes

downloadP1000854-PaF···eans.avi 12863448 bytes

downloadP1000855-Air···Over.avi 10635146 bytes

downloadP1000857-Pro···rMom.avi 17389300 bytes

downloadP1000863-MaC···cise.avi 25474736 bytes

downloadP1000864-Pre···Nest.avi 13264936 bytes

downloadP1000871-IPl···irst.avi 3201072 bytes

downloadP1000880-Mam···Come.avi 12673006 bytes

downloadP1000890-Big···ToGo.avi 4388472 bytes

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

Day 15 Robin Nestling to Fledgling Day - July 16, 2014 Part 1

Out of over a hundred videos, I have it narrowed down to 20. Looked again today, 31 July, and that wasn't the case. I still have over a hundred videos to sort through.

About half have been converted now, a few renamed. This takes a lot of time and it is so hot at my house. I tried, but I'm wilting right now.

I will try to continue working on these tomorrow. I don't want to share multiples of the same thing. I want to share the best ones, so end up having to view them over and over.