spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bvermilion
@69.53.237.x

bvermilion

Anon

[Need Info] Verizon DSL - Service Refusal

Just bought a house that is serviced by Verizon (previous owners had DSL service for years) all neighbors have Verizon DSL service. However Verizon is refusing to provide DSL service saying it is unavailable. Do I have any recourse (I'm in California)? I filed an online complaint with the FCC already. It is unclear to me if they are legally obligated to provide service or not. Any ideas?

I have no other options besides possibly cellular.

One thought I had was to start service at a friends address in town (less rural setting) then transfer the service to my home.

I believe in the past I have done something similar, moved locally, moved the modem to the new house and serviced worked. I think this should work as long as the DSL port is connect in the central office (?) to my house line.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

VZ has practically halted investment in non-FIOS areas. The DSLAM is probably completely subscribed, with all ports filled. When the last owner canceled service, the next person on the wait list got connected.

Since DSL is an unregulated "Information Service" per the FCC, you have no recourse to obtain DSL. VZ is only required to provide POTS to your address.

My suggestion is that you look into CLEC DSL if your line is hosted out of a Central Office. If it isn't, and your off of a remote terminal, keep hassling Verizon. Sign up for an account here and post in the Direct Forum.

Also, how far is a competitor Cable Company's service area from your new home? It may be possible to get service extended per Franchise Agreements.

Good Luck!