Premium Member

Count me in.

Apple TV: $99 dollars.
Netflix: $9.
Huluplus: $8.
Amazon: $7.50 ($90 a year).
SmartDNS: $5.
Total: $30.

Last DirecTV bill before I cancelled: $112.

Laughing all the way to the bank with almost a THOUSAND dollars in yearly savings: PRICELESS.
Flycat
join:2003-05-12
Lawrence, MA

Flycat

$112 isn't that bad, how much is your internet connection?

I recently re-subbed to fios after realizing my pipe alone was costing me $75 month. For +$20 I got a faster pipe and TV.

Still considering trying the comcast $50 internet+hbo thing if it's still available.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

$85 for 100 Mbit/s internet + nationwide telephone, all taxes, fees, modem rental, ceo bonus fund fees, etc included.

Once TWC upgrades us to 300/20, I may drop down to what is going to be 200/20 (currently 30/5 plan), and save some more money.

BTW the $112 was before the almost $5 increase I got hit with by DirecTV in February. The $4 a subscriber they paid for the Lakers channel (which I never watch) found its way to out bills. So it would have been $116-117-ish. And if they DO sign with the Dodgers and shell out another $4, I would be paying about $9 a month for 2 teams I am not even a fan of, because I like the OTHER teams in this market. (Angels, Ducks.).

Come Feb 2015, if they do sign with the Dodgers channel, will most likely see another $5.

Inflation is about 1.5 to 2.5%, depending on the year, averaging out around 2%. DirecTV's yearly price increase is between 4 and 5%, so roughly DOUBLE the inflation.

And it won't stop, thats the problem. How many carrier disputes have we had in the last 5 years? An unbelievable amount, compared to the 20 years of cable TV before that. In 2004 it was RARE to see a big conflict being stretched out for months. Now it seems to be the norm because rediculous numbers are being demanded. Numbers that WILL eventually come out of your wallet.

So no thanks..... Internet only for me please. Oh, and voice.

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to Flycat

to Flycat
said by Flycat:

$112 isn't that bad

...$112/month just for TV is a rip off. I'm paying my local cable provider $115 a month for 55Mbps internet, phone, and basic TV with HD included.
said by Flycat:

Still considering trying the comcast $50 internet+hbo thing if it's still available.

Comcast hasn't ever offered HBO without a TV subscription.
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

Laughing all the way to the bank with almost a THOUSAND dollars in yearly savings: PRICELESS.

Yep, me too, my DirecTV bill was exactly the same as yours.

The only difference is I bought a refurbished Roku box.
Timmn

Timmn to Flycat

to Flycat
said by Flycat:

$112 isn't that bad, how much is your internet connection?

Isn't that bad? For all the TV I watch, I considered that throwing money out the window.

Someone suggested that I should subtract the money I'm paying for my internet connection out of the money I'm saving by canceling DirecTV, however, I didn't have DirecTV and internet access as a package, so the price for my internet didn't go up.

So, I am no longer paying DirecTV, so I count all of the $112/mo I was sending them as savings.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to bmccoy

Premium Member

to bmccoy
said by bmccoy:

ONLY HBO can offer HBO as a standalone
but pretty close was when they said they were going to have a 10+ tier, basically limited basic +10 "cable" channels +HBO.
it was briefly advertized here one the web site, new users only. don't know anyone who got it before it disappeared.
So they TRIED to do it but had to pull back due to HBO maybe? or the other 10+ channels?
or all the channels not included?
I don't know. Too bad Cause I would buy the at the cheap price they offered.

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

kapil to maartena

to maartena
Why smartdns?

bigballer
@205.214.216.x

bigballer to maartena

Anon

to maartena
why even pay for voice? I cut the cord with ATT. Screw them and their $45 dollars a month +taxes/fees

Switched to ooma (so around 3-4 dollars a month in fees, negligible) and laughing at ATT.

Some don't need a homeline, but I still just in case anything happens if I have family over or little kids and whatnot.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel to kapil

Premium Member

to kapil
More than likely to reroute around ISP/Netflix choke points to minimize buffering issues. The cdn you are connected to relies heavily on the dns.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to bmccoy

to bmccoy
said by bmccoy:
said by Flycat:
$112 isn't that bad

...$112/month just for TV is a rip off. I'm paying my local cable provider $115 a month for 55Mbps internet, phone, and basic TV with HD included.
I'm paying $110.49 per month for a triple Play plan with Comcast. It has their Premier tier for tv including HBO and Starz and Streampix. I also get 105/20 internet and phone. I'm using 2 cable cards and Comcast is giving me a straight out $5 credit for them!

Cable bundles with, first WOW, and now Comcast, is the reason why I dropped Dish for tv service. There is no way satellite can compete with them. Now in area where there isn't any competing tv services, then you have to deal with Dish or DirecTV.
quote:
said by Flycat:

They've been offering their "plus" plans. For $5 more per month you get internet plus 40 - 50 cable channels, HBO and Streampix. A pretty good deal IMO.

shdesigns