nickstoy
join:2001-02-03
Saint-Lazare, QC

3 edits

nickstoy

[TV] I moved my dish...0 reception

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out!

Long story short, I had to move my sat dish from my deck to my house siding.

There was an old anchor on the house siding, so I thought it would be a simple matter of unscrewing/screwing to the new location. Who would've thought finding an object in space would be harder that that

I then proceeded to doing it manually as the online documentation tells me to do.

I found my degrees, elevation, skew and the dish is now pointing (I think) to the right spot. (212.6, 35.7, 101.7)

I've resetted my pvr(9241), and I'm looking at the point dish menu. It's all red, says "not locked, name not acquired, signal strength 0".

Should I be changing the settings for tuner input(01), transponder(04) and satellite(91)?

Thanks!

Edit: added screenshots from the test and details screen

I clicked cancel on that test result page

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3

Did you run a check switch?
nickstoy
Saint-Lazare, QC

nickstoy

Yes, that's the screenshot with 836 on the upper right corner. I hit cancel once I saw that.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to nickstoy

to nickstoy
On the side of the dish there should be some some angle metrics, you can google dish angle calculator and it should give you fairly accurate angles. If you've moved it only a few feet it should be a very minute adjustment
nickstoy
Saint-Lazare, QC

nickstoy

Yeah that's what I was hoping for...not much luck. I also tried setting it to the old Dish's setting that was in this spot previously. That's why I think I may need to change some settings. I should at least be getting a very weak signal
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

despe666

From what I can tell your settings look ok. I think it really is just a matter of finding that one little dot in the sky.

You should have a good idea of how the dish used to be installed and where it was pointed (look at a neighbor's if you don't rememer), so you need to sweep very slowly until you find the one spot.

In my experience (haven't installed a dish in a very long time) newer receivers tend to have more lag in the signal meter which makes it that much easier to pass over the right spot. Hence the SLOW sweeps.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to nickstoy

Mod

to nickstoy
Some time ago I tried getting sight of a bird with a dish mounted on an aluminum barn roof. I couldn't find the bird aiming directly at it. I turned the dish in frustration towards the roof an bam! Up came the signal, reflecting off the roof no problem!

Sometimes it seems the slightest thing can change the whole picture!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

Sometimes it seems the slightest thing can change the whole picture!

Literally!
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido to nickstoy

Premium Member

to nickstoy
Make sure that the new mast is perfectly plumb using a level. If it is not then you will almost never get a signal.

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to nickstoy

to nickstoy
Go to satpointer.com

enter your address in the first textbox
select 91.0W Nimiq 1 + 2 in dropbox.

You'll get all the info to set the dish at the bottom of the page. Use a compass to get the ruff estimate to where it should go... and go from there

HTH.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to nickstoy

to nickstoy
You should not have touched the elevation and the skew AT ALL, as those NEVER change regardless of location.

All you needed to do was make sure the mast(arm) was level and true, and it is just a matter of rotating the dish left and right to find the signal.
nickstoy
Saint-Lazare, QC

nickstoy

Click for full size
Signal strength
Click for full size
Signal strength
Update!

I have locked in satellite 82. Here is the check switch screen in the first picture. I'm getting 94 signal.

My concern now is that I used to be locked on 91, not 82. And the wires in my dish are plugged in the 91 side. I have no clue what this means. Should I stay like this? Next steps?

Thanks
despe666
Montreal, QC

despe666

You're getting there! You need lock on both satellites. Either you've got 82 locked in the 91 slot and you need to move a bit right and a bit down, or your skew is off. You can get a general idea of what it should be in the manual, but this assumes your mast is perfectly level. Then it's a matter of changing the skew a little bit, and moving around a bit until you get the lock back, repeating until you're locked on both satellites.
nickstoy
Saint-Lazare, QC

nickstoy

Okay, so before I proceed: what settings do i input in the point dish menu? Im 99% sure i had put in 91 in the menu before finding a satellite. But when i headed back in the house it was 82.
despe666
Montreal, QC

1 edit

despe666

These are not settings per say, they just allow you to choose which satellite the meter should show. Changing them has no effect except for what is shown on that screen. The only settings are the check switch results and they look ok, it detected that's it's a DPP Twin so it should be good to go.
nickstoy
Saint-Lazare, QC

nickstoy

Ok thanks for clarifyin! What signal should i hope to get on 91 and 82? Just so i know when to stop playing with it

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

You need to lock 91 first as that's straight at your dish and than you can lock 82 by adjusting the rotation of your dish.

Here's an installation guide »support.bell.ca/_web/gui ··· n%29.pdf
despe666
Montreal, QC

despe666

It's a Y yoke, you will be pointed at the mid point between the two birds. What you're saying is only true with W yoke on an oval dish.