Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS

Re: Why do all Cogeco resellers insist on restricting modem models ?

said by TypeS:

....Not sure the high price is justified.

I doubt more than a fraction goes to the actual Bell tech that went out.

And considering that the price proves Bell's main motive to be GREED (in MY eyes, anyway), why should we trust them to be honest about what is discovered when the tech visits ?

Who knows what back-room deals they may have with some of their techs about a piece of the action ?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

High price? What are you guys on? Care to share? Try to get a technician of any kind (not talking about those who only advertise on kijiji) to come to your door and say "hello". It will run you $100 and he may include a few minutes of diagnostics, but any repairs will cost you extra in labor. Do you know how much it costs to keep a commercial vehicle on the road? The gas, the insurance, the specialized tools not owned by the tech, the maintenance, the administrative/suport staff... They are not laughing their way to the bank with straight-up DMC's.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

Your line rental is paying for the services to the drop. I know there are people who will say no ... but think about it ... I've had Bell out only twice on this line in 14 years. Allocationg say $5 per month to maintenance, that's nearly $900 to pay for 2 truck rolls.

Seems to me I've paid for the two truck rolls. That's the point about POTS lines ... by and large, they are not costly to maintain if the job's done properly. If it's not, and multiple truck rolls are done for one problem, then that's not the customer's fault.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

....Allocating say $5 per month to maintenance, that's nearly $900 to pay for 2 truck rolls....

I like your math.

And some folks have lived in the same place for longer yet, and had NO truck rolls so far.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

said by Davesnothere:

said by sbrook:

....Allocating say $5 per month to maintenance, that's nearly $900 to pay for 2 truck rolls....

I like your math.

And some folks have lived in the same place for longer yet, and had NO truck rolls so far.

close as "f*** it" is to swearing

On average allocation $5 per month to line maintenance from the CO to the customer NID is probably quite adequate to cover most of their line maintenance cost. That leaves the rest for equipment and trunks etc. and of course the bosses salaries and bonuses and shareholder dividends.

I often wonder why public services like telephone should be FPOs (For Profit Organisations).