Search similar:

uniqs

Dlinkr
@76.10.134.x

Dlinkr to killdeer

Anon

to killdeer

Re: General Netflix Bandwidth Usage?

I'll share my experience with TSI's usage tracker. When I am away I shut down both the computer and modem, I don't have a router, anyway, I come back the next day, view my usage and find that on the day everything was shut down I used .91g's. Now tell me how is that possible? So far it has happened 3 times.

This is an observation and not a criticism, just wondering why when everything is shut down there is still usage being shown.

Have a good night!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

even if your stuff is off, you still have a DHCP lease and IP assigned to you and if anyone on the internet tried reaching your IP for whatever reason (probing, attacks, etc) then it will end up going through TSI's network then into their Rogers connectivity and onto Rogers's network to try and reach you (where it will fail/timeout).

with that scenario, even tho your stuff is off TSI/TPIAs still get charged some usage and TSI likely passes that usage on to you.

this is only my guess based on how networks and billing works across providers and how TSI's system is setup. TPIAs wouldn't have any way of knowing if your modem is off or if you simply have an aggressive firewall too.

DSL doesn't have this issue because it requires a login which means you're connected.

i suppose this might be a good way to get the CRTC involved in contesting Roger's usage tracking (for Rogers users and TPIAs). however it could just be TSI issue too.

it could be pretty easy to test too, find out your IP address and then unplug it and send a flood of packets your way and see what the usage registers as.

Dlinkr
@76.10.134.x

Dlinkr

Anon

Thanks jmck!

I should have mentioned this is a DSL service. Just a simple 6M/800 with a speedtouch 516 modem. I regularly check the event logs on the modem page and for sure someone or some people have tried reaching my IP for what ever reason but shows it has failed.

I'll do some testing and see what happens!

Thanks again!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

that's interesting, i assumed you were on cable but if you're on DSL with a PPPoE login then it shouldn't report any usage if you aren't logged in.

i would ask TSI to look into this if you're concerned and to provide PPPoE session logs for the days it counted usage and seeing if it shows something.

ggparts
@69.159.44.x

ggparts to killdeer

Anon

to killdeer
We watched all of OITNB season 2 this week also, I have two kids with devices and XBMC and Netfix access and we have used a grand total of 51 gigs since June 3rd with the largest day 17gigs
Just sayin'
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak

There's also the check box to disable HD right in the player which is the easiest. and don't forget that youtube has a lot of videos well over 2G so watching that cat slip off the table might be using more bytes that you think.