Search similar:

uniqs
Alcaron6
join:2006-05-25
Saint Louis, MO

Alcaron6 to markopoleo

to markopoleo

Re: St. Louis 30Mb to 100Mb

First, if I can afford it and not care why wouldn't I opt for 25% faster downloads? It never was just about the upgrade fee. Though that is an even sillier expenditure because at least the monthly buys you something, the $200 just pads charters bank account.

As for it going away and not being upgraded, a) it isn't going away, the NPP name is InternetUltra (because Ultra100 doesn't make much sense for 120) b) they literally JUST upgraded it, from 100-120 sooooo I would say the signs all point directly to them continuing to upgrade it.

Anyway, this is silly, why do you care what other people spend their money on?

terryw
@71.14.95.x

terryw

Anon

I'm out near Pevely, MO, so I'm not sure if this area is supposed to get this upgrade or not, though it is not far from Festus. I actually forget what internet tier I have, my bill just states Internet Service ($47.99). Can someone let me know if this is the price for the 30/4 and if you know if I should be getting 100mbps out this way? [Speed tests still show around 25mbps/3.5mpbs.]

I don't have phone, just TV and Internet.
Alcaron6
Saint Louis, MO

Alcaron6

Internet+ is the "old" 30mb in spectrum, and I think it was $49.99.
griffinmatt
join:2004-02-21
Wentzville, MO

griffinmatt to cloves69

to cloves69
100Mb speeds in Wentzville

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to anhisr

to anhisr
Well, there ya' go. Called Charter, was switched to a different price/package that gave me 100Mb download, up from 30Mb, and same TV package all of which dropped my bill by $20. Took less than five minutes to get done.

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr

bingo
tpm1999
join:2011-06-08

tpm1999

My Netgear 3700 dual band wireless N router is getting nowhere near the 100 Mbps over wireless. Can anyone recommend a router that regularly does 100 Mbps (maybe an AC router)? I do have numerous devices (>10 at any given time) connected to wifi and live in a somewhat congested 2.4 ghz area (I tried using 5 only but got similar speeds at around a max of 70).
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by tpm1999:

My Netgear 3700 dual band wireless N router is getting nowhere near the 100 Mbps over wireless. Can anyone recommend a router that regularly does 100 Mbps (maybe an AC router)? I do have numerous devices (>10 at any given time) connected to wifi and live in a somewhat congested 2.4 ghz area (I tried using 5 only but got similar speeds at around a max of 70).

Of course you're not going to get 100 Mbps with several devices all using the connection at once. The 100 Mbps is TOTAL not 100 Mbps for each device.

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

tscotty

Premium Member

I have the business pro/80 plan and use an apple extreme wireless router. I have been very happy with the performance of the router/AP. I pay for 80/5 so here are my wireless results:
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 87208172
DaveMcLain
join:2008-11-07
Steelville, MO

DaveMcLain to cloves69

to cloves69
I'm in Steelville MO which is about 85 miles away from St Louis. As of last Saturday I've had Charter cable internet service and when speed testing I get right at 100Mb/sec download and about 5Mbs upload. A wireless connection using 802.11n gives me about 50Mbs.

These numbers are with a Linksys E3000 router running DD-WRT firmware.
fastfrank68
join:2014-06-26

fastfrank68 to cloves69

to cloves69
I can confirm in Park Hills, Farmington, Mo, area of 100 mbps
Just had to call Charter to get them to reset the modem config.
Modem = Motorola Sb6141
Firmware = SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH

102.83 down
3.96 up
using speedtest.
BoMarty
join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

BoMarty to DaveMcLain

to DaveMcLain
said by DaveMcLain:

I'm in Steelville MO which is about 85 miles away from St Louis. As of last Saturday I've had Charter cable internet service and when speed testing I get right at 100Mb/sec download and about 5Mbs upload. A wireless connection using 802.11n gives me about 50Mbs.

These numbers are with a Linksys E3000 router running DD-WRT firmware.

Wow! Speeds are great. You are the first to report the 100 meg download that is not in the St Louis area. Seems it is expanding more that just St Louis and surrounding area.
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431

Steelville is routed through STL though I think. I'm guessing they are going to bump everyone in/around the STL market.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to Alcaron6

to Alcaron6
I don't care what people spend money on, the fact is its a waste, and more signs point to it disappearing so no point in spending that much. Feel free to get ripped off for all I care, just stating the facts.
gbondy
join:2002-11-22
Edwardsville, IL

gbondy

said by markopoleo:

I don't care what people spend money on, the fact is its a waste, and more signs point to it disappearing so no point in spending that much. Feel free to get ripped off for all I care, just stating the facts.

Strongly held opinions are not the same thing as facts. "waste" and "no point" are opinions, not facts. You are certainly welcome to them!

Does anyone in metro-east STL have the new package(s) yet?

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to cloves69

to cloves69
Why is Charter running ads on TV that describe the speed as 60 meg?

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr

100Mb is only in the St Louis area. The rest of the Charter customers are on 60Mb. Guess they do not want to do commercials for St Louis only.
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers to lineofsight

to lineofsight
I'm hoping that St. Louis isn't the only area that is getting the 100mg upgrade and that soon all Charter customers will get it.
fastfrank68

fastfrank68 to anhisr

to anhisr
No it is not just in St. Louis. Park Hills, Mo. and Farmington is at 100mb.
Bismark, Mo. has it also.
Here is my test I just ran.

Modem sb6141
Double OH 7
join:2009-10-19

Double OH 7

said by fastfrank68:

No it is not just in St. Louis. Park Hills, Mo. and Farmington is at 100mb.
Bismark, Mo. has it also.
Here is my test I just ran.

Modem sb6141

I wish I had your ping!
fastfrank68

fastfrank68

Just the sb-6141 Modem and Dir-825 router with DD-WRT firmware.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to markopoleo

to markopoleo
You're not totally wrong. The only advantage would be for those who frequently download large files or have multiple users watching videos at the same time. Otherwise, a 30Mb connection would work just fine.
mikiee
join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

mikiee

said by howardfine:

You're not totally wrong. The only advantage would be for those who frequently download large files or have multiple users watching videos at the same time. Otherwise, a 30Mb connection would work just fine.

Yeah, I agree. I get 100 down on ethernet and 70 down over WIFI. I'm just leaving it on WIFI cause 70 is plenty fast. For me, 30 was plenty fast. Would gladly pay $25 month for 30 down service. Of course that's not going to happen.
crawlingpete
join:2004-01-12
Edwardsville, IL

crawlingpete

Do you all have 100mbps constantly? Because sometimes I do and other times it's more like half or even a quarter of that. Trying to figure out if it's Charter or this new router... Thanks.

Godfrey
@71.81.69.x

Godfrey

Anon

My speeds fluactuate between 20 and 97. New router and new modem given by charter.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to crawlingpete

to crawlingpete
The second day we had it, I saw it slow to 30Mb. and had to go somewhere. When I got back, it was at 100Mb and I've never seen it lower.

I get confused over over whether number of users on the same line affects this. In the past, I would read that it affects cable but not DSL and vice-versa. My business just signed with Charter business. While there is a line going to one end of the building we're in, they told me they would want to run a different line to a different run for me to guarantee speed/quality/etc. but the difference is only about 100 feet. I'm surprised digital cable would be affected that much.

If my speeds were to fluctuate as much as you two guys all the time, I'd call to complain. If it was a steady 75Mb, I'd just say that's the way it is due to location but to have it fluctuate that much, down to 25Mb or so, isn't acceptable to me.
Alcaron6
Saint Louis, MO

Alcaron6

Typically saturation can occur on either DSL or Cable but where it happens changes. For DSL it's typically farther down the line as opposed to cable where, and this depends somewhat on how your neighborhood was wired, it depends on your neighborhood loop and how many people are on it. Honestly in my area I don't think the wiring was poorly thought out because I RARELY see anything you could attribute to it. Though knowing for sure would require being on charters end.
Korruptor68
join:2010-11-10
Saint Louis, MO

Korruptor68 to cloves69

to cloves69
I haven't made an update since I got upgraded, but last Wednesday I got my Charter modem. I then called the number so they can switch me to the new service and the lady told me it wasn't available in my area. I told her that the last 2 times I called, a total of 3 people have said it was in my area. She still didn't believe me and wanted me to sign up to be notified when it came available in my area. I told her, I did that already and got an email saying it was available, plus I got an email at my charter.net account, plus I got a flyer in the mail saying that it was now available in my neighborhood.

She then spoke to someone for awhile and they eventually switched me and tested me at 110Mbps. I'm getting 108Mbps, which is working great so far! I had a wireless-n usb adapter, but that was only getting 65-80Mbps, so I got the Asus AC1900 PCI-E card.

Just downloaded 8GB of World of Tanks and it was done before finishing this post.

MnR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI

MnR to lineofsight

Premium Member

to lineofsight
That is for the businesses

Slashkevin
@24.207.221.x

Slashkevin

Anon

Hey all,

So I'm still an Ultra 120 subscriber (although I am seriously tempted to step down now that everyone else in St. Louis has 100), and last week I got a postcard from charter telling me it was time for a new modem. It arrived today, and it's a Cisco DPC3208, capable of 8x4. I previously had the Motorola SB6121 (4x4), and I've only been a subscriber since January. Six months seems like an awfully short amount of time to get a new modem. Can we read anything into this? Might Charter be getting ready to bump St. Louis ultra to something significantly higher than 100? Perhaps 200?