spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JasonLane

@gtebdidir.bbnplanet.

What does a solid yellow light mean?

What does a solid yellow light mean? It stays lit and does not blink. I also can't get on the net.

BUD_8$
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Westland, MI
What make and model of cable modem do you have and which light is it?

JasonLane

@gtebdidir.bbnplanet.
reply to JasonLane
I have motorola sb4100. there are 3 green and one yellow. The yellow one usually blinks while the green stay lit always. I am at work now and do not know what each light is for

Prairie Dog
Here's Looking At You Kid
Premium
join:2000-08-09
Langhorne, PA
reply to JasonLane
the yellow light is the activity light, usually blinks when sending or receiving info, or when comcast or someone else is pinging you.

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1
reply to JasonLane
There should be 4 green lights and one yellow - the four are (in order) power, receive, send, online. The yellow is activity. If the yellow stays solid and you're not actively using the 'Net (download, etc.) and the light doesn't ever go out, you need to run a trojan scan and a virus scan on your computer.
--
Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

midranger4
Stupid Is No longer in Vogue
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Levittown, PA
reply to JasonLane
You will see a solid amber light on the SB4100 only when the downstream or upstream is completely saturated.

Even then I have seen *pauses* that are caused by the cap that is imposed by Comcast.
--
Democracy is the illusion of freedom

SKiFit
You're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

join:2001-12-03
Marlton, NJ
reply to JasonLane
said by JasonLane:
What does a solid yellow light mean?
"SLOW DOWN"....(any "TAXI" fans out there?!)

My apologies, I couldn't resist!

JasonLane

@gtebdidir.bbnplanet.
reply to midranger4
OK, so now I am saturated....What does that mean? I was working when I went to bed last nite. Now the lite is solid and I can not get access to the net. Did I do something wrong or do I need to call the "techs" at Comcast?
Thanks everyone

midranger4
Premium
Levittown, PA
Are you running Winmx or Morpheus in the background, maybe it's starting when you boot up?

Can you release/renew you IP addy without incident?

Do you have a firewall that is logging potential port scans and other active connections to the web?
--

JasonLane

@gtebdidir.bbnplanet.
I am leaving work now and will release and renew when I get home. I was afraid to touch anything this morning,
I do not run any file sharing programs. I use and have used for several years Norton Internet Security and Zone Alarm Pro. I have never logged though since I have never had a problem. I did a complete shutdown this morning and still had a solid lite when I booted up.

midranger4
Premium
Levittown, PA
Jason,

When you release/renew all pause after releasing.

Does the activity light go off? It should.

Then renew all and you should see sporadic activity, but not constant.

Will check in later.

Good luck.
--

Sebastian
Premium
join:2000-12-22
New Haven, CT
reply to ergibbs
said by ergibbs:
...If the yellow stays solid and you're not actively using the 'Net (download, etc.) and the light doesn't ever go out, you need to run a trojan scan and a virus scan on your computer.
Why? *Most* cable modem user(s) activity light blink even when not using the Computer, It doesn't mean someone has hacked you or you may have a virus.. It's normal for the yellow light to blink even when not using the computer.

It's ok to scan using Anti virus software to search for possible viruses, but a blinking light doesn't mean you have one.

Most people don't realize that AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), ICQ, YAHOO! Messenger, MSN, mIRC, all use bandwidth, (Very little..) but enough to make the activity blink often.

Just make sure you have a firewall installed
--
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features...

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1
said by ergibbs:
If the yellow light stays solid.
said by Sebastion:
It's normal for the yellow light to blink.
I see a big difference in these 2 statements. It is not normal by any means for the activity light to constantly be lit.
--
Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

parasonic
I Am Not A Bot

join:2002-03-29
Atlanta, GA
reply to JasonLane
Mine usually doesn't blink anymore either. You might have noticed this from the @Home transition as I did. They knocked my pipe in half, but I'm still going to constantly be using at *least* a half megabit. In the evenings and at night when everyone's home, especially the downstream is saturated then.
--
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

midranger4
Premium
Levittown, PA
Port scans are again on the rise.

They did quiet down substantially when the transparent proxies were implemented.

They have been steadily increasing again over the last couple of weeks.

Ergibbs is correct in the statement that a blinking activity light is quite *normal* as it pertains to a Comcast HSI connection.

However, a solid light certainly indicates either a saturated downstream or upstream channel.

Any number of issues can cause such a problem.

The one I see most often is a file sharing program running in the background.

Morpheus for example, will fire itself up upon startup and allow other members to download shared files with only a system tray icon visible.
--

parasonic
I Am Not A Bot

join:2002-03-29
Atlanta, GA
Actually, I can get it to light up fairly brightly by just multiplayer gaming. Does the lit yellow light really mean this much to you, or is it all about the humbling caps imposed in the ConCast service?
--
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

midranger4
Premium
Levittown, PA
I believe the thread is geared towards assisting JasonLane with his issue of a solid activity light combined with an inability to access the internet.

Can you assist in this regard?
--

rody

@selrsv01.pa.comcast.
reply to JasonLane
actually if the light is completely solid no blinking power cycle modem and if its still solid more then likely it is a bad modem power cycle modem with computer off if its still solid call for replacement modem

JasonLane

@gtebdidir.bbnplanet.
reply to JasonLane
Ok, when I got home the amber lite was flashing again. I rebooted and had no problem last nite getting on the net. From what I am learning here, I guess there was an extreme amount of traffic on comcast. I ran my virus scanner and trojan program...all was clean. I have had cable since last June and never saw the lite stay lit. I do get busy blinking when there is traffic but the solid lite was VERY strange. Thanks for the help and if it happens again I won't panic.

TelcoCable_X
Q1 4 Ever

join:2002-02-10
Long Valley, NJ
It could have been that someone "hacked" into you. I have a friend who's into that kind of thing and I had him test it on my firewall / linksys router and zone alarm. The modem light went solid and stayed solid until my friend turned his "program" off.

Unless you actively talk on IRC, ICQ, or AIM, I doubt that anyone would want to do this to you though. But it is a possibility.

midranger4
Premium
Levittown, PA
reply to JasonLane
Glad to hear your up and running again.

Firewall logs will provide an answer to your mystery should it happen again if you configure it to log all connections inbound/outbound.

Happy surfing
--