Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

4 recommendations

[Firefox] Firefox 30

Should be posted on all the file hosting sites in due course, but is Officially Released by Mozilla at (appx) 8 a.m. tomorrow June 10, 2014.

At this time, public releases server says ......
quote:
Thanks for your interest in Firefox 30.0.
We aren't quite finished qualifying Firefox 30.0 yet. You should check out the latest Beta.
When we're all done with Firefox 30.0 it will show up on Firefox.com.
(Note - per Mozilla, the ftp/ftp is for developers and not load balanced for high volume public use)

When they push it out -

Downloads - All systems & languages

Release Notes - »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/30···senotes/

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thank you. Here is a write up and links to the download. And I notice that Neowin provides the link for Classic Theme Restorer. LOL

Firefox 30 installed successfully here and running fine.

»www.neowin.net/news/firefox-300-released

mark5019
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

got it ty

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to chachazz

What with all these FFs? I've been with #18 and probably staying with it as I like the interface.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Boricua:

What with all these FFs?

Where have you been? FF moved to a rapid release schedule two years ago or so.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

Why is it that every time I update my FF, I have to re-do all my personalized Search Engines I have painfully installed in my Search Bar. Even re-installing the previous Profile doesn't help.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Thanks for the heads up. Going to do a clean install of 30 and see how it works out.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Thanks

On two computers so far.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Just got it via the internal updater - thanks

StyxKee

join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

1 recommendation

reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

Why is it that every time I update my FF, I have to re-do all my personalized Search Engines I have painfully installed in my Search Bar. Even re-installing the previous Profile doesn't help.

If I remember correctly, I made copies of the following search related files/folder from my profile and reuse them if necessary:
1. "search.json" file
2. "search-metadata.json" file
3. "searchplugins" folder and all its content

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to chachazz

Thanks. Looks like the Extension List Dumper ( »addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···-dumper/ ) quit working with FF30. Just brings up a blank list now. Bummer..

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to chachazz

On one computer, it showed up after hitting HELP, downloaded and installed as normal.

On another computer, it showed up as click to download, but didn't download. It just went directly to update and restart button, which actually did nothing. I ended up having to download and run the install from the link near the top of this thread. The normal Firefox download from mozzila.org was still for 29.0.1.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to chachazz

shit I remember when Firefox 1.0 coming out was a big deal

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16
reply to chachazz

So can someone help me with something I'm sure isn't normal.

The bar in the bottom left hand corner that tells you URLs and such is now all black with grey font and it's really hard to read, is there a way to change this?

It just seemed to clear up randomly but here is the image: »i58.tinypic.com/o8if0o.png

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!

3 edits
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

What with all these FFs?

I've been with #18 and probably staying with it as I like the interface.

I have been saying that too, and as such had kept FF 14 on my XP and Vista PCs for over a year, while the newest FF version number ticked upward every few times that I wiped my arse.

But recently, I yielded to the 'guilting' of some others here, and began to investigate my options, because the Australis UI debacle surrounding FF 29 had gotten my attention as it was getting other peoples' goats.

After trying FF 29.0.1 and being grossed out by the new UI, I began to test the Portable versions of Pale Moon 24.5.0, and Sea Monkey 2.26, and discovered that the Pale Moon, which claims to use the same UI as FF 24.5.x ESR edition (and FF 28 regular edition), with no plans to change to Australis, proved to be customizable to look EXACTLY like my FF 14.

Therefive, as an interim measure, while I test those alternate 2 browsers further, I manually installed to upgrade my FF 14 to FF 24.5.0 ESR, and kept my auto-updates disabled.

The result was almost zero change in the UI, and what little which there was, I could adjust back to look like FF 14 with the normal internal options.

I was forced to change one of my older add-ons to another of similar function, and I chose to upgrade one or two others, even though the earlier versions continued to work fine.

Still, I may yet switch to Pale Moon, where all of my latest FireFox add-ons seem to be 100% compatible, and PM has a profile importing too specifically written for current FireFox users.

I also like Sea Monkey, however, my most important FF add-on (Tab Mix Plus) will not work there, so I have been searching for and piecing together most of the important parts of its functionality from several smaller add-ons, and if I get a good enough result, I may switch to Sea Monkey as my first browser.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
Change for the Sake of Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
-
START Forum »Start Communications

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

Most people here seem to think "all the FFs" are only about the interface and never think about what's going on under the hood and the engine under the hood of FF is entirely different than version 14 or 18.

Since I'm using a car analogy, you can almost think of it like this since I develop web sites. You're pulling into my web site garage in your 1953 Studebaker and ask me to fill it up and check the oil and I don't even know where hood latch on that thing is.

iow, not only are you missing out on security updates, you're missing out on functionality, and my company quit testing our client sites for those early versions of Firefox long ago.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by howardfine:

Most people here seem to think "all the FFs" are only about the interface, and never think about what's going on under the hood, and the engine under the hood of [newer] FF is entirely different than version 14 or 18....

I do realize all of that, but when I wear my 'non-techie hat', I want to be the same as the average user, who only sees the UI, and I just want to look at my web pages and/or get my work done, without having to relearn how to do it every 6 fucking months.

If the FireFox developers had ANY consideration for the public, they would not force-feed us irreversible (within the FF menu structure) UI changes in order for us to have the allegedly needed security improvements.

The two things should not be bundled, and PaleMoon (for example) understands that folks are pissed at the latest round of UI changes from FireFox.

Pale Moon devs have demonstrated and proven to us that the UI changes do not necessarily need to be tied to the security updates, and now that the word is out about that, FireFox is losing even more users than when only Google Chrome was attracting some of them.

As I keep suggesting/lamenting/ranting (you choose), all that is required to keep us happy is for the FF devs to include within the menu structure the option for the user to choose previous UI structure(s), and we will gladly take any and all security updates without question.

It's really that simple, otherwise add-ons to do it would not have been so quickly written.

One last thought for now :

This could be an opportune time for the FF devs to get into the add-on 'business'.

THEY could issue FireFox endorsed add-ons which are fully tested (as those would contain the older UI code written by the same teams) to give us the way to roll back the UI on newer browser editions.

They could still be heroes - once again.

FireFox was originally about choice, and still could be, without forcing us to seek 3rd-party add-ons or alternate browsers to get it.

= = = = =

BTW, my father's first two cars were Studebakers - 1951 and 1957.

--

-
-

anonomeX

@71.207.157.x
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

I notice that Neowin provides the link for Classic Theme Restorer.

So did the official Mozilla support site for 29 long before it was released.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

2 recommendations

reply to chachazz

I came very close last night to just dumping FF completely. As they continue to tinker under the hood, they are causing issues with other stuff such as add ons.

I think more and more that there is a Pale Moon in my future. Spending more time using it right now.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

It's really that simple

If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it, and it's not that simple. While PaleMoon seems to be popular here, I've never read about it anywhere else nor seen it in my server logs (though it's probably ID'd as Mozilla).

said by Davesnothere:

This could be an opportune time for the FF devs to get into the add-on 'business'.

Then they'd hear from every add-on developer about how FF screwed them. On top of that, they need to be written and maintained and Mozilla isn't that big of a company.

But that's why the opportunity to develop add-ons by others is there.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

As they continue to tinker under the hood, they are causing issues with other stuff such as add ons.

The problem is the add ons, not Firefox. Add on developers get plenty of notice for what's coming down the pike. From what I read, almost every one of those add ons failed because the developer didn't do something as simple as change the version number. A lot of those guys build those things and forget about them until they receive a notice that their throwaway email box is filled up with complaints that their add on doesn't work anymore.
Expand your moderator at work

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to howardfine

Re: [Firefox] Firefox 30

said by howardfine:

said by Davesnothere:

It's really that simple

If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it, and it's not that simple.

While PaleMoon seems to be popular here, I've never read about it anywhere else nor seen it in my server logs (though it's probably ID'd as Mozilla).

I too expect that PM is ID'd as Mozilla, to keep website developers from worrying and recoding.

Unfortunately, it makes clear usage stats hard to compile.

Same likely applies with SeaMonkey, though it is less similar in UI to the last several versions of FireFox (though it claims to be otherwise current, in security and other under-the-hood functions).

said by howardfine:

said by Davesnothere:

Then they'd hear from every add-on developer about how FF screwed them.

But it's OK for FireFox to screw their userbase instead.

Right.

Now THAT's common sense.

said by howardfine:

On top of that, they need to be written and maintained and Mozilla isn't that big of a company.

Oddly, Pale Moon, who is smaller, 'rewrote' and delivered us a complete alternate working solution, and as a bonus, it seems to have maintained compatibility with the vast majority of existing add-ons, rather than breaking them, as newer FF versions with the Australis UI do.

said by howardfine:

But that's why the opportunity to develop add-ons by others is there.

That's a cop-out hindsight-based answer, IMNSHO.

But I like your screen name, nyuk, nyuk.

--

-
-

anonomeX

@71.207.157.x
reply to Racerbob

Add-on devs failing to keep up with the latest releases of their "base platform"? ...sounds familiar. But, yeah, Mozilla should just stop all development while everyone else "catches up" ...that'll work. (I guess we're using different add-ons, 'cause I'm not having any problems at all.)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

I came very close last night to just dumping FF completely.

As they continue to tinker under the hood, they are causing issues with other stuff such as add ons.

I think more and more that there is a Pale Moon in my future.

Spending more time using it right now.

Me too.

Either that or a Sea Monkey.

Mayhaps both.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

Pale Moon is a good Browser but, except for the emblem, I really don't see any difference to FF. Its like using FF 28.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

3 recommendations

said by capdjq:

Pale Moon is a good Browser but, except for the emblem, I really don't see any difference to FF.

Its like using FF 28.

Give that person a CIGAR !

That's EXACTLY why so many of us are growing to LIKE Pale Moon !

It's not requiring us to learn over again how to do something which we already know how to do, and unlike FireFox, Pale Moon is not forcing us to bend over and ASSume the position, without any lube.

Pale Moon has publicly promised to not use the newer FF UI (newer than version 28 or version 24.x ESR), but will keep adding the security updates as they are issued, which additionally proves that it is possible to do so.
Expand your moderator at work

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [Firefox] Firefox 30

said by Davesnothere:

But it's OK for FireFox to screw their userbase instead.

Well, just cause you don't like it, doesn't mean no one does. Firefox does pretty well for itself.

Personally, I use very few add ons, and, the few I do use, are only web dev related, so I sort of don't care.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

Well sure Firefox does well for itself, except their market share is dropping like a rock into the single numbers.