spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[iPhone] Using cellular data overnight when in WiFi network

I just checked my data (VZW) and noticed my wife's iPhone uses data most nights when she's sleeping.
Her WiFi is always turned on and we have a very strong signal. The Time Capsule router is in the bedroom.
The data usage is not sporadic, but rather pretty regular. On a typical night, there are 20-30 instances of data usage, some pretty significant.
Why would this happen?
Thanks!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Similar to this perhaps? »[iPhone] 3G data downloads at 2359 local time even in Airplane Mode

DevilOnE
Fozzie the buttplug, Vu the shitkicker
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Evansville, IN

DevilOnE to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
i was thinking i read somewhere that when the iphone is in standby mode, wifi is off untill you unlock the phone.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by DevilOnE:

i was thinking i read somewhere that when the iphone is in standby mode, wifi is off untill you unlock the phone.

I'm not sure about that, ... in order to do automatic backups to iCloud, phone must be locked, in WiFi ranged and plugged in.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
The WiFi radio sleeps while the phone is in standby, but the cellular radio remains on (obviously) so you can receive calls.

For push messages, an active connection has to be kept with the server. I have never tested it in detail, but I had always assumed that the phone continue to make those types of data connections over cellular rather than wake the WiFi.

Since iCloud backups are client initiated instead of server initiated, it would make sense that the phone would wake the wifi radio to do them.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Wouldn't it be smarter if Apple enabled the Wifi when the phone is being charged, even in stand by? Or are they unable to do something that challenging...

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

The WiFi radio sleeps while the phone is in standby,...

I plugged iPad into charge three hours ago and haven't used it since.
I just opened iTunes and it saw the iPad, so it looks like iPad's WiFi was awake, no? Or am I not understanding how it works?

EDIT, I realized iPad is WiFi only, so I guess that's why it's always awake