Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Pathfinder5 to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn

Re: So have they signed an agreement or not?

said by UnnDunn:

They have, but Verizon is dragging their feet in implementing the needed changes.

Proof of that?

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus

Well, how is your Netflix viewing going?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Last night a video stopped playing for some reason. Yes, I'm on FiOS using Netflix. I had to restart the stream, then it worked.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to ieolus

Premium Member

to ieolus
said by ieolus:

Well, how is your Netflix viewing going?

I have no problems. Just watched a show.
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431

...but not during peak usage hours.
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance

said by mj3431:

...but not during peak usage hours.

This. Netflix streams load in HD instantly if I want to watch at 4AM. During prime time I might as well be using my 3G connection...

I didn't get 150 Mbps Fios just for the middle of the night. My neighbor has ~20 Mbps Optimum (cablevision) and his Netflix is perfect 24/7. I'm embarrassed to be paying so much more than him for inferior performance.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5
The proof is that Verizon isn't able to keep up even those it is ridiculously easy to do so.

You should see the tech that is currently available. A single router and 6 strands of fiber could handle ALL of the world's Internet as it is right now.

Newer tech will be able to handle 10x the current world's Internet over a single fiber has already had a fully functional prototype.

Verizon is just creating artificial scarcity.

As it stands right now, 1gb/1gb fiber to a multi-TERABIT router is running about $100 per port. Seeing that it costs about $2k to connect a customer to fiber, $100 is a rounding error.

1gb fiber has become so cheap, it's cheaper to use a 1gb port and rate limit it to 100mb than to purchase a 100mb port.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

Wow...wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

pumpkinhead7 to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5
Hmmm....the inability to keep a quality streaming video experience comes to mind.