All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Optional
join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON

Optional

ZTC enabled anytime during first 10 days of month, right?

Until I can get 60/10 unlimited package, im destroying 300gb in nearly one week. Well, it's the 10th, and I enabled it in the tsi portal, and it said it won't be enabled until july 1st.

So which is it? Your website says,

To qualify for unlimited usage you must have Zap the Cap enabled for EVERY peak period (8pm - 12am) of the month you wish to receive unlimited usage for.

This means ZtC would need to be turned on before 8pm on the 1st of the month and remain turned on until the last day of the calendar month.

Note: If ZtC is turned off during non-peak periods you will still qualify.

Then it says,

The first 10 days of each month are considered a trial period. You can turn Zap the Cap on or off at will during this time.

It takes about 10 – 20 minutes for the changes to take effect. For example, if you were to turn Zap the Cap off at 8:30pm your speeds should return to normal by 8:50pm.

If Zap the Cap is turned on past the 10th day of the month you will become locked into Zap the Cap for the remainder of the month. Attempting to disable zap the cap outside of the trial period will queue it to be disabled on the 1st of the following month.

From the same page. They contradict each other... If this ZTC doesn't turn on today I'm going to end up paying a shit ton of money.

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27

The 10 days is to see if you want to use. It gives you the option to be able to turn it off. If you wait past the 10 days you will not be able to disable it. It will queue and turn off on the first of the next month.

If ZTC was not on everyday since the first than you don't qualify for unlimited this month this month.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Optional

Premium Member

to Optional
We continue to tweak ZtC as it is still in Beta.

We have made additional change just today.

The first ten days of a month give the ability to turn it off in the event that you tried it and didn't like it.

To turn it on, it is now setup so that you request to have it turned on at the beginning of the next month. So, say tomorrow, the 11th, you select it to be turned on. It will queue it up to be turned on starting July 1st.

To turn it off, after the first ten days. You can select to queue it up to be turned off starting the beginning of the next month.

For new signups, I believe that you have up to ten days after your activation date to turn it on and get unlimited in that first month. I'm not sure if this was implemented with todays updates though.

We continue to make small tweaks like this, as we do, we will have to update the website. As you say, there is info there that is no longer accurate.

Optional
join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON

Optional

Forgive me, I still don't understand.

I just activated it about an hour ago before I made this post. Will it turn on for me? Or am I just screwed until I can get 60/10 unlimited on the 15th?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'll get somebody to look at your specific situation. Hold tight.

ShawnS
Business Solutions Agent
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

4 edits

ShawnS to Optional

Premium Member

to Optional
Hello Optional,

To receive unlimited usage, Zap the Cap needs to be turned on the first of the month before 8pm and be left on for all peak periods for the rest of the month. You have 10 days to disable it if you are not satisfied with this option.

If you have any additional questions please post in the »/fo ··· avdirect Forum.
Thank you
Shawn S

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to Optional

to Optional
said by Optional:

From the same page. They contradict each other... If this ZTC doesn't turn on today I'm going to end up paying a shit ton of money.

Confusing? Yes. Though it really isn't contradictory. The trial period only deals with turning zap on and off. The information about actually getting unlimited is right there.. it must be on every single peak period.
GreyArea51
join:2013-12-03
SW Ontario

GreyArea51 to Optional

to Optional
Right from that same TSI ZtC Info Page...

"If you are concerned about your usage and have missed the Zap the Cap boat for this month, contact us and inquire about a retroactive package change."

That might be cheaper than max overage charges, if you're in that situation.

That's actually an odd phrase, when ZtC must be activated on the 1st. It sounds like it belongs to an earlier version of ZtC, where they envisioned activation would be possible later into the month.
buttaknife
join:2007-06-01

buttaknife to Optional

to Optional
ZTC language needs to be cleaned up.

Basically, to get unlimited you need to turn ZTC on before the 1st of the next month (which you intend to have "unlimited usage"). Trial day language is what really makes things confusing for some people - and to me seems largely irrelevant aside from choosing to not have ZTC on (1st to 10th before it's on permanently for the rest of the month).

ShawnS
Business Solutions Agent
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

ShawnS

Premium Member

Hello everyone,

We apologize if the Zap The Cap details aren't very clear on the "MyAccount" customer portal. It certainly is being worked on. Thank you for your feedback and patience.

Thank you,
Shawn S
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

said by ShawnS:

To receive unlimited usage, Zap the Cap needs to be turned on the first of the month before 8pm and be left on for all peak periods for the rest of the month. You have 10 days to disable it if you are not satisfied with this option.

said by TSI Marc:

For new signups, I believe that you have up to ten days after your activation date to turn it on and get unlimited in that first month. I'm not sure if this was implemented with todays updates though.

said by GreyArea51:

"If you are concerned about your usage and have missed the Zap the Cap boat for this month, contact us and inquire about a retroactive package change."

This month I switched from an unlimited to a limited package. As I did not even have a "Zap the Cap" option before my new package was activated on the 5th, on the 5th before 8PM I called in to inquire about a retroactive package change to ZtC... and was told by the rep (after she spent some time checking) that I was fine and didn't need to do anything.

So... now you've got me worried. Am I going to end up with a nasty bill at the end of the month if I go over?
GreyArea51
join:2013-12-03
SW Ontario

GreyArea51 to buttaknife

to buttaknife
said by buttaknife:

ZTC language needs to be cleaned up.

^^ Zactly! ^^ (in all locations)

hitek
join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

hitek to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Do we have to enable this every month or is something that stays enabled until you decide to switch it off?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by hitek:

Do we have to enable this every month or is something that stays enabled until you decide to switch it off?

It will stay enabled until you disable it yourself.

ponn
@198.144.156.x

ponn to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We continue to tweak ZtC as it is still in Beta.

We have made additional change just today.

The first ten days of a month give the ability to turn it off in the event that you tried it and didn't like it.

To turn it on, it is now setup so that you request to have it turned on at the beginning of the next month. So, say tomorrow, the 11th, you select it to be turned on. It will queue it up to be turned on starting July 1st.

To turn it off, after the first ten days. You can select to queue it up to be turned off starting the beginning of the next month.

We continue to make small tweaks like this, as we do, we will have to update the website. As you say, there is info there that is no longer accurate.

If you disable it on the 2nd of the month the internet for the month is no longer unlimited. What be the point of being able to disable ztc if this happens? What I really want to see is the ability to disable ZTC for 10 mins for 3-5x a month to test if the speeds are acceptable, without being penalized for it.

ZTC is new, and many have not tested this thoroughly (not everyone is at home at the same time) to decide if this should be on. ZTC needs to be turned on and off several times for thorough testing, if and the unlimited is cancelled for the whole month while testing then this discourages any form of testing and I predict there will be fewer ZTC users because of that.
Sunfox
Stouffville

1 edit

Sunfox

Pretty sure the point is not to turn it on and off to test (it takes like 20 minutes for the change to take effect anyways).

You test with it on for a day or two, and if you don't like what it does from 8-12, you can turn it off within 10 days - otherwise you're locked in until the end of the month in exchange for unlimited. If you turn it on and off such that it doesn't impact the 8-12 period, it doesn't affect anything (however turning it off outside of 8-12 has no effect on your connection speed either).

With that said, being able to turn it on late, such that you're locked into using it with NO compensation of unlimited service, just seems wrong.

...And I'm not quite sure how DISABLING ZtC 3-5x a month "to test if the speeds are acceptable" actually does anything except show you what your normal connection speed would do, which you could always check at 7:30 PM or 12 midnight. Otherwise, having it on IS the test.

And if you're having line issues, there are facilities for TSI's tech support to disable it. There's a specific counter for "diagnostic disables" and "reprieve disables" (gives you 2 hours once a month).

BTW... since TSI did not address my concern in this thread, consider this my fair warning that I have looked into the matter as much as is reasonable, and am accepting phone support's statement that I will not have any ZtC issues.

ponn
@198.144.156.x

ponn

Anon

The point is to test it only between 8pm-12am based on what the household needs. If I cant do that then I cant see if the bw is acceptable during that time without disabling unlimited during that month.

What I am asking for is a way to test this now that this is out of beta. Not that many people were able to test ZTC during beta and now that it is out of beta there should be a way to test ZTC bw during those hours with it on and off without penalty.

How about making it so that if ztc is no reenabled by 830pm on first day of month then unlimited isn't enabled for the month? 30 mins on the first day of each month should be enough to test this.
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox

I'm still a bit confused by how having it off (pre-8:00), then on (8:00), then off (8:15?), then on (8:30) will tell you more than simply observing the first two of those stages... but I'll assume I'm just not getting it, and leave it at that.

One issue is the lag between changing the setting, and actually having it take effect. I have no actual knowledge of how long it takes, but the FAQ warns it can take up to 20 minutes. So at minimum you'd probably need a full hour leeway to do whatever it is you're doing.

Otherwise, perhaps something can be arranged for the last few days of the month, so that those not locked in can experimentally enable/disable at will to see whether they want it for the next month (the FAQ seems to indicate that if someone enables it then, they can't actually disable it, which doesn't seem to follow any reasonable logic).

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

If you need ZTC disabled for diagnosis purposes, Agents will have access to disabling it for a length on 1 hour at a time without the customer being penalized for usage. Again, this is to be done for diagnosis purposes only. These Diagnosis are counted & logged on the account for tracking & frequency of requests.

If you require testing to be done to your line, then it may be best for you to do so while in touch with an agent.

Remember the Holy Grail of ZTC info can be found here : »help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· -the-Cap

Regards,
Martin
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56 to Optional

to Optional
turn it on on the first, then leave it on for a whole week and see if it works out for you, you can always disable it on the 8th

as for overuse charges for the cap you have already gone through, you will need to deal with billing for
FTP
join:2012-10-31
Chatham, ON
Asus RT-AC68
Technicolor DCM476

FTP

said by JenSuisUn:

Remember the Holy Grail of ZTC info can be found here : »help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· -the-Cap

Very informative. Thanks!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Optional

MVM

to Optional
I really think that ZTC, while a fantastic option, is far too complex in implementation. It's very confusing, and it really ought to be simplified drastically...

It really ought to be something that can be enabled/disabled at any time, but only takes effect at the start of the next calendar month. Any month that has ZTC enabled is then unlimited. None of this "must be enabled every peak period" or "10 day trial periods" (which, I'll note, just make things more confusing because using the trial period invalidates ZTC savings for the month)...

So, "Turn it on/off whenever, takes effect following month" would be much simpler.

It's also not well advertised what the speeds would be... so an added point of confusion is that people need to look it up to see what the ZTC speeds would be.
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox

Once you're ON ZtC it's very clear what your ZtC/Peak speeds will be. But I'll agree that at first glance, it is confusingly implemented and even kind of scary. I can't imagine anyone that isn't significantly tech-savvy (NPI) would even understand what it's all about, or what happens when you do certain things at certain times.

I think TSI needs to take a page from Apple's playbook:

1) Keep your options bare bones simple. Less is more!

2) Don't let anyone do anything that doesn't make logical sense. You should not be able to enable and get locked into it without receiving something in exchange!

3) Make it stupid proof. Explain what will or will not be happening. Your grandma should be able to figure it out!
BellACancer
join:2008-06-04

BellACancer

said by Sunfox:

Once you're ON ZtC it's very clear what your ZtC/Peak speeds will be. But I'll agree that at first glance, it is confusingly implemented and even kind of scary. I can't imagine anyone that isn't significantly tech-savvy (NPI) would even understand what it's all about, or what happens when you do certain things at certain times.

I think TSI needs to take a page from Apple's playbook:

1) Keep your options bare bones simple. Less is more!

2) Don't let anyone do anything that doesn't make logical sense. You should not be able to enable and get locked into it without receiving something in exchange!

3) Make it stupid proof. Explain what will or will not be happening. Your grandma should be able to figure it out!

I will have to agree with all these suggestions.

I think ZTC has to go.

Reduced speed (in exchange for unlimited) needs to be chosen on "myworld" portal like any other change in tiers. You then choose to be either with 300 GB at all times or have your speed reduced. Simple rules. The changes could be applied for the next billing period.

That way, people wouldn't be scared about being billed for going over 300 GB without exactly knowing if they're ZTC is activated and working properly.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

ZTC is still in beta. We continue to tweak.

Currently and since earlier this week, ZTC can be turned on/off and takes effect next month.

If you don't like it after turning it on and it taking effect the following month, you have up to the first ten days of the month to turn it off right away.

Pretty simple.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

ZTC is still in beta. We continue to tweak.

Currently and since earlier this week, ZTC can be turned on/off and takes effect next month.

If you don't like it after turning it on and it taking effect the following month, you have up to the first ten days of the month to turn it off right away.

Pretty simple.

Of WHICH month ?

The month in which you tested and preset it, or the month in which it took effect ?

(I'm just trying to clarify the deadline to opt out.)

So this can all be done by the customer thru the web portal ?

And if you had ZTC running and billing as intended for a few months, and wanted to stop it and maybe choose a different plan, is that also done thru the web portal, or is a phone call required ?

And the deadlines are what in such a case ?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

There is no pre-testing anymore. Seems that's where maybe there is confusion?

You can request to have ZTC turned on any time prior to the first peak period of a month. I.e. 7pm on July 1st. 1pm June 20th. 10pm June 1st. All of these examples will start ZTC for the month of July. I.e. Your speeds will be reduced at peak in the evenings in exchange for unlimited usage.

Additionally, if you have successfully turned it on, as in the examples above, you would have up to July 10th to turn it off in the event that you really did not like it. In that event, the usage used up that point would count towards your 300gig cap as it normally would have. I.e. On July 9th at 9pm, you turn it off. It will turn off right away or within 20 min. Or July 3 at 1pm. It will simply not turn on for the rest of the month.

To turn if off at any other point, you must request that it be turned off and it will go into effect the following month. So for example if on July 15th, you have had it running all month. You flip the switch and it will be turned off for August 1st.

Make sense? Clear? Not clear?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

There is no pre-testing anymore. Seems that's where maybe there is confusion?

That might be a factor.

Let me do some paraphrasing back at you on the rest of your post, and you can agree or not :
said by TSI Marc:

You can request to have ZTC turned on any time prior to the first peak period of a month.
I.e. 7pm on July 1st. 1pm June 20th. 10pm June 1st.

All of these examples will start ZTC for the month of July. I.e. Your speeds will be reduced at peak in the evenings in exchange for unlimited usage.

So any of these examples would make ZTC begin to limit our speed only on July 1st, and the billing change (i.e. the title of our plan and our exemption from overusage fees, with the same base price if we changed directy from the TSI 300GB plan of the same speed and incumbent feed) all will also begin on July 1st ?
said by TSI Marc:

Additionally, if you have successfully turned it on, as in the examples above, you would have up to July 10th to turn it off, in the event that you really did not like it.

In that event, the usage used up that point would count towards your 300gig cap as it normally would have. I.e. On July 9th at 9pm, you turn it off. It will turn off right away or within 20 min....

OK, THAT part is what I was mainly asking earlier.

So, in essence, the first 10 days of July become a 'Live-Test' of ZTC, and we can undo it during that period, and return to and and be billed as per our previous 300GB plan for that month, where overusages of course do count ?
said by TSI Marc:

...Or July 3 at 1pm. It will simply not turn on for the rest of the month.

Doesn't this example belong in the earlier paragraph ? (because it is about turning ON)
said by TSI Marc:

To turn if off at any other point, you must request that it be turned off and it will go into effect the following month.

So for example if on July 15th, you have had it running all month [of July so far]. You flip the switch and it will be turned off for August 1st.

If we miss the first 10 days of whatever month while ZTC is in effect, and wish to bail on it, we are still locked into ZTC for the rest of that calendar month ?

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

So any of these examples would make ZTC begin to limit our speed only on July 1st, and the billing change (i.e. the title of our plan and our exemption from overusage fees, with the same base price if we changed directy from the TSI 300GB plan of the same speed and incumbent feed) all will also begin on July 1st ?

There won't be a package change on our end. The name will remain the same it will just be flagged to ignore overage for July (so long as ZtC is not turned off again).
said by Davesnothere:

So, in essence, the first 10 days of July become a 'Live-Test' of ZTC, and we can undo it during that period, and return to and and be billed as per our previous 300GB plan for that month, where overusages of course do count ?

Correct, if you turn it on and decide the reduced speed is not for you you have those 10 days to back out of it. This puts you back on 300GB for the entire month, the time when you had ZtC turned on will still count towards billable usage.
said by Davesnothere:

Doesn't this example belong in the earlier paragraph ? (because it is about turning ON)

I believe the intent here was to state that it doesn't matter when you turn it off during the first 10 days (the 9th at 9pm or the 3rd at 1pm) usage will still count for the entire month and it cannot be turned back on (though it can be triggered to turn itself on for the 1st of the following month).
said by Davesnothere:

If we miss the first 10 days of whatever month while ZTC is in effect, and wish to bail on it, we are still locked into ZTC for the rest of that calendar month ?

Give us a call, or post in the »/fo ··· avdirect forum. We may be able to have it turned off for you after the 10th. Bear in mind there is still no effect on your usage allowance if it is not on for the entire month, if you call in on the 25th and have us disable it for you then all of your usage for that month counts towards the 300GB cap.

I hope this helps, let us know if there are any further questions!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Marc, please would you double-check Keith's reply to my last post, and say whether or not you fully agree with his analysis ?

This stuff usually goes better when the same 2 people finish a conversation as who started it. - No offense intended, Keith

And considering that ZTC seems to be getting misinterpreted a lot here, words from Da Master might be the best at this point.

Thanks.