Search similar:

uniqs
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to Trihexagonal5

to Trihexagonal5

Re: Al Jazeera America coming soon

said by Trihexagonal5:

Like when Al Jazeera aired the beheading of Daniel Pearl?

Is that true?
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al ··· riticism
quote:
Contrary to some allegations, including the oft-reported comments of Donald Rumsfeld on 4 June 2005, Al Jazeera has never shown beheadings. (Beheadings have appeared on numerous non-Al Jazeera websites and have sometimes been misattributed to Al Jazeera.)
I think it is a mistake to rely on Al Jazeera's competition to decide what the network is all about. Since I don't have Uverse or cable tv, I don't see Al Jazeera America, but I do occasionally watch Al Jazeera English, especially since this Iraq thing is back in the news. I tried watching Al Jazeera America on the web and got a message that it isn't available from the country I was located in. (They want me to buy pay TV).

I think it would also be a mistake to rely on any source, such as Al Jazeera as a sole source. The multiplicity of viewpoints is important to me.

I also note that the television providers who have tried to minimized the available viewpoints by requiring Al Jazeera to produce Al Jazeera Lite America, instead of showing Al Jazeera English, largely control the web availability in America, and oppose net neutrality.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5

said by Frodo:

said by Trihexagonal5:

Like when Al Jazeera aired the beheading of Daniel Pearl?

Is that true?
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al ··· riticism
quote:
Contrary to some allegations, including the oft-reported comments of Donald Rumsfeld on 4 June 2005, Al Jazeera has never shown beheadings. (Beheadings have appeared on numerous non-Al Jazeera websites and have sometimes been misattributed to Al Jazeera.)
I think it is a mistake to rely on Al Jazeera's competition to decide what the network is all about.

I think it's a mistake to rely on Wikipedia for anything, since anyone can edit it.

Either way, I won't be watching it on my TV.

It's not the first time the question has been posed here:

»Is this the SAME Al Jazeera......

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
The beheading thing has been debunked ... tons of times and by what most would consider reputable sources... we hope.

I am sure that the cable nothing network and fox noise would love for a competitor to go away.

CNN leaves things out and FOX loves "some people say" ....
Best bet... don't pay any attention to any of them.
You will be better off.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

said by TestBoy:

Best bet... don't pay any attention to any of them.
You will be better off.

I would say this should be the take home point regarding any news channels in ones package.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to Frodo

Premium Member

to Frodo
It's actually Al Jazeera's decision to get into the US market, and as part of that, they have blocked Al Jazeera English (although it's not exactly hard to use a VPN to get it...) in the US. It looks like they may have even taken down the FTA feeds of Al Jazeera English, although it's hard to tell.

Al Jazeera America is surprisingly progressive and academic for something from a very conservative country like Qatar, I was pleasantly surprised.

TheTruth
@108.249.20.x

TheTruth to Trihexagonal5

Anon

to Trihexagonal5
Al Jazeera and Al Jazeera America are two completely different channels. Al Jazeera America is an American company incorporated in Delaware and has its own board and advisory board. And the majority of Al Jazeera America's programming originates from the USA.

But why let facts get in the way of some good ol' xenophobia and racism?

BTW...I see no one getting their panties in a bunch over beIN Sport being added which is owned by the Al Jazeera Media Network.
TheTruth

TheTruth to Trihexagonal5

Anon

to Trihexagonal5
"I think it's a mistake to rely on Wikipedia for anything, since anyone can edit it."

Yes...and Wikipedia also has people whose job it is to remove anything posted/edited that is incorrect or unverified/unsourced.

But nice try.

And again...the two channels are NOT the same anyway.
dweeb
join:2002-06-23
Pleasant Ridge, MI

1 recommendation

dweeb to Boricua

to Boricua
Al Jazeera is for the intellectual. The person that likes to think. Its not for everyone. I enjoy it because I can actually watch international news. Hopefully they don't americanize it and make it into junk over time.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to TheTruth

to TheTruth
said by TheTruth :

Al Jazeera and Al Jazeera America are two completely different channels. Al Jazeera America is an American company incorporated in Delaware and has its own board and advisory board. And the majority of Al Jazeera America's programming originates from the USA.

But why let facts get in the way of some good ol' xenophobia and racism?

There is the Communist Party USA too, the head of the MidWest Chapter lives in St. Louis.

If you choose not to watch Fox News does that make you a racist?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to TheTruth

Premium Member

to TheTruth
AJAM is a separate channel, but it is owned by the same people that own AJ in Qatar. Not that AJ is some horrible, terrible news channel either. It's one of the big global 3 along with CNN and the BBC.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to TheTruth

to TheTruth
said by TheTruth :

...Yes...and Wikipedia also has people whose job it is to remove anything posted/edited that is incorrect or unverified/unsourced...

I'm fairly certain this is not true at all