Search similar:

uniqs

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane

Premium Member

[WIN7] ESPN site video player kaput after Windows update

Back on or about May 14th during a Windows Update download some of the updates did not download and install successfully. I reran the update process and all successfully downloaded and installed.

However, the flash player for ESPN’s site espn.go.com no longer will function. It loads properly with the appropriate “controls” but immediately upon finishing loading the large center arrow and any content in the black screen disappears. The controls at the bottom of the window, (play, pause, etc) all remain. But they will not produce any video or audio.

I went back and did a system restore prior to the date of the updates. I then once again successfully ran the most current updates that all installed successfully.

The site’s video player remains “broken.” It will not work in any browser.

It is just that site’s video that does not work. It worked fine before the Windows update fiasco.

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Latest flash player
Latest Chrome, Firefox and IE 11

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Just wanted to make you aware that yesterday a new version of Firefox came out (Version 30.0.0).

Today, a new version of flash is now available to download: Version 14.0.0.125.

Also, today is Patch Tuesday (always the 2nd Tuesday of every month).

So, you may want to make sure that when you say "The latest version" that you are indeed running the latest version.

While I'm on Windows 8.1 Update 1, I'm in the middle of something right now, but I can test this out and see if it works for me. At this time, I have not updated to the newest versions of Flash, Firefox, or installed the next set of security updates.

So, give me a few minutes, and I'll test things out with my current system and see if they work for me, and then report back.

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
Well, I'm not sure if this is the video that you are talking about, but I am able to play Flash Video's on espn's webpage.

The video that I played was the one that was on the home page for espn.com.

Which video is that? Well, below is an image of the main espn.com page, with the red arrow showing the video that I was able to play.

When I clicked on the video, I first got an ad, as shown below

Once the ad was done, the video itself started to play

Here are the specs of my system

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Update 1 (from April of 2014) applied
OS patches: Current as of Tuesday, May 13th 2014.

Flash Version: 13.0.0.214

Browser: Waterfox 28.0.0

Browser Add-Ons:

Extensions: None

Appearance: Default

Plugins: (see image below)

Ad Blockers, Cookie Managers, or other applications that would do that kind of action: NONE

So, as far as I can tell, things work OK for me on ESPN's webpage. From helping others with Video on other sites, you may want to look to see if you are running any kind of ad-blocking software, or if there is an extension or Plugin that may not be allowing the video to play.

You could also look at hardware acceleration with flash. I know for me its enabled, which is the default setting (I've never changed it, and I've never had an issue where I needed to).

--Brian

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

Thanks for your comprehensive and clear reply.

Everything is up to date in every way and configured properly.

No videos from ESPN's website will play on Windows. They previously all played. They stopped after the "glitch" on or about May 14th with Windows updates.

Nothing else was affected.

ESPN's videos all play on my Mac.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
Since there are many video's on ESPN's webpage, lets focus on the one on the main page.

If you go to www.espn.com (which, for me redirected me to »espn.go.com/) there is a video about 1/2 way down the page, as I noted in one of my earlier posts.

Does that video show up for you in a way that you could play it? And if so, can you click on it and does it play?

Just trying to rule things out here one step at a time.

--Brian

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

Thanks for your reply. I don't see the selection you mention as I need a link since the site changes daily at a minimum and sometimes several time during the day. However, I suggest that video you point out is a moot question on whether it will play because:

No videos offered anywhere on the site will play.

Zero, nada, no where. ALL played prior to the Windows update glitch.

All videos act the same way now.

The video into appears where you can click on the play arrow to start it. When you do so the arrow and the background picture disappears leaving a black screen.

However, the controls at the bottom of the black video remain including the buffer thread. You can even drag the cursor along the buffer thread and at the point of the cursor at any location on play line a small picture of what's located on that play line or buffer thread.

All videos play normally on my Mac machine.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
System restore to before the updates were applied?

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

System restore to before the updates were applied?

Tried that. System Restore process before updates not successful and SR said there was a problem and it would try to fix it but eventually said it was unable to resolve the problem. Now system Restore will not go back to an earlier date before those updates.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
said by Domane:

Thanks for your reply. I don't see the selection you mention as I need a link since the site changes daily at a minimum and sometimes several time during the day.

Well, the video that I'm talking about is on the main ESPN webpage. That link should always work! :)

So then, if you go to ESPN.com, and do nothing, what does your screen look like? For example, if I go to
http://www.espn.com

here is what my full browser window looks like

I've not done anything except go to the page. I can see that I have the option to view a video, as indicated by the Play button (the black arrow pointing to the right inside the white square).

Yes, I know the page changes very often (as you said, multiple times a day, maybe even more). But, my question is, do you see what I see when you load the page? Yes, you may not see the same video I do, but do you see a video at all?

If you are not even seeing a place for a video on the main page, that could be a reason why they no longer work.

Mele20 See Profile had an issue with Flash video's not playing on CBS.com, and the issue was that there was some flash settings that she needed to modify that are only available when you right-click on a flash video on the web. You can read the whole discussion at this thread

»[Firefox] Flash video doesn't work on CBS?

At first some of us (myself included) though it had to do with the blocking of ad's or specific ad websites. I've seen cases where some webpages will not play video's if you do that. Their reason is that if you won't watch the ad, you don't see the video, period. Its dumb that they do that, but its a way for them to make money off the ad.

I don't agree with a lot of that, however I don't block all that stuff either. I also don't go modifying a lot of Flash settings either from their defaults. And, as can be seen here, I don't have problems. Not saying that people should not modify settings (that is why they can be modified to begin with), but sometimes, web page developers only code for a "default" configuration, and not only that, don't provide good error handling if something does not work as expected. Things just sort of hang, without telling the end user why.

--Brian

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

Yes I see the video. It won't play per my previous description. I see all the videos on all the website I visit. They all play. Only the ESPN videos now won't play since the update fiasco. I have the right browsers and flash player.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I guess what you could do is go into Control Panel, then click on Uninstall a program, then View Installed Updates. From there, you should be able to see all of the May 2014 updates that were installed.

I would remove them all, and see if the videos on ESPN's webpage work. If they do, then go back and add them one at a time and see which one breaks it.

--Brian

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

Nah, I'll just pass on that little operation. It's simply not worth the effort especially given there is no guarantee that it will work. That plus I spend most of my time on my OS X machine and ESPN works there.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.
Expand your moderator at work

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane

Re: [WIN7] ESPN site video player kaput after Windows update

No problem! This is the kind of stuff that I love working on. Trying to figure out why something works on my system, and does not work on another system.

If you do decide at a later time to work on it again, maybe post back and tell us how it goes. We're always here to help.

--Brian