spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Germany J
@95.89.28.x

Germany J

Anon

[Landscaping] Toro lawn mower missing oil plug

I have a Toro variable speed high wheeled lawn mower model 20371. It has a kohler 149cc OHV motor. I just moved to Germany and the movers lost the oil plug / dipstick. I have looked every where and even emailed toro to get the replacement part number for the oil plug / dipstick and can't find any help. Can you help me or give me an alternative I can use in place of the original dipstick / oil plug?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Looked around a bit, no dice..

I`d fire off an email here

»www.kohlerengines.com/home.htm

with all model numbers you can get off the engine.. Toro doesnt list a dipstick, must be an engine only part

good luck

-j

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole to Germany J

Premium Member

to Germany J
You can start here. I have never bought from them so you can go from there.
»www.2lcstore.com/kohler- ··· cks.html
They may have what you need at a small engine place over there.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 recommendation

iknow_t to Germany J

to Germany J
what you need to post is the model number off the engine.. the model of the mower just gets you parts that are not on the engine..

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits

Grumpy4 to tp0d

Premium Member

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

I`d fire off an email here

»www.kohlerengines.com/home.htm

Kohler offers many free and downloadable engine manuals with parts schematics at their web site. Exceptions may occur if mower came from giant chain store, and is proprietary to giant store specs.

To get the actual part, aftermarket mail order is usually cheaper than OEM. "Kohler [part number]" to Google or Froogle will likely give you many sourcing choices.

If your mower is missing the data plate and you can't find an engine number, there are a multitude of web forums devoted to small engine care and feeding. Some posted photos of your unit will very likely produce a means to finding the right part.

Note - if the engine's data panel is of an adhesive design, (and it probably is) you might consider a method to preserve or record the data, as these adhesive "plates" have a tendency to disappear before the engine resigns. I have our dishwasher and GMC pickup data plate / parts codes decals skewered onto my shop wall with thumb tacks. Both were swinging in the wind when I removed them from their attachment.

Workaround to keep the hay at bay, if procuring the correct plug proves a lengthy process:

Change the oil on a level surface and replenish unit with Kohler manual suggested quantity of oil, in the appropriate viscosity. Make a note of new oil's visual oil level, say x-threads down from the top. Get a substitute plug locally from a lawn mower shop. If the replacement has a dipstick, you are fine as long as stick portion does not bottom out. Bending a too long stick in half will not hurt anything, as long as attachment of stick to plug remains sound. Plugs usually cost no more than $6 or $8 US.

Note that the plug could be pipe thread, which has a taper. If you find a hardware store substitute, you'll also need a gasket (or large O ring) to keep the oil in.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Germany J

MVM

to Germany J
Look here, »www.kohlerengines.com/co ··· alog.pdf, page # 6

These guys have quite a few available: »www.repairclinic.com/Sho ··· ck-Parts
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to Germany J

to Germany J
The engine for that mower (which is one Toro model number up from mine -- it's the same engine) is the Kohler XT675-2070.

The plug/dipstick part number is Kohler 14 038 08-S.

Here it is on ebay, they ship worldwide...looks like around $21-22 total shipped to Germany. They have two available, I should buy one of them so I have an extra for mine :P

»www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER- ··· 66617853
psiu

psiu to Germany J

to Germany J
PS if you punch in Kohler XT675-2070 parts into search, on the various sites the dipstick will be in the Lubrication group. Took me awhile to find that one. :P

GermanyJ
@95.89.28.x

GermanyJ

Anon

Thanks to you I now have it ordered. I really appreciate the help.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech to psiu

Premium Member

to psiu
psiu is correct, 2 sites including Toro have them

»www.lawnmowerpartsdealer ··· S|~53572

»www.jackssmallengines.co ··· 96/13699