I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

[Chrome] I'm using Chrome

Haven't even seen it in years.

Sure looks a lot different than it did the last time I saw it.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

Been my browser of choice for a few years now. FireFox lost it's way recently.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Firefox has been my only browser for a few years but I read today that Chrome is now the most used browser so I thought I would give it a look.

Seems fine but I have not discovered how after a new install of Windows how I can put back the bookmarks, user names and passwords.

Need to play a little more.

anonomeX
@71.207.157.x

anonomeX to jadinolf

Anon

to jadinolf
I'm using Chrome, too ...on my Chromebook--but that's about the only place. I played around with it when Google first released it. Frankly, I don't notice all that much different about it. It was pretty bare-bones then; it's pretty bare-bones now. Firefox (29) is still the only browser I "use" since it's the only one capable of doing everything I want a browser to do. Chrome, however, is far and away the best (er, only) browser for my Chromebook.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

howardfine to VegasMan

to VegasMan
said by VegasMan:

FireFox lost it's way recently.

How so? I see some, here, complain about the user interface. I wouldn't know but, technically, it's a superior browser.
howardfine

1 recommendation

howardfine to jadinolf

to jadinolf
Did you set up sync before? Are you signed into Chrome?

Go to the hamburger icon in the upper right (the three lines) and see if it says you are signed in near the bottom of the dropdown. If not, click on Settings and, at the top, click on "Sign In to Chrome". It might download your bookmarks right away but that could take a while before you see all of them, minutes to hours.

While that's working, go to the hamburger icon again and click on Settings and Advanced Sync Settings. There it should say what your sync is set up to do.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

No, I did not sign in. Wanted to make sure I liked it.

Got my bookmarks from Firefox immediately-- no wait.

Thanks for the info. I'll work on it more later.

I'm on Firefox right now.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

said by VegasMan:

FireFox lost it's way recently.

How so? I see some, here, complain about the user interface. I wouldn't know but, technically, it's a superior browser.

I don't agree that Firefox is a superior browser. That is based upon almost all versions crashing constantly on both my Mac and my PC. I don't know if Chrome EVER crashed.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Technically, under the hood, Firefox keeps up with Chrome. Whatever problems you have running it I'm not commenting about except I've never had an issue and I've run it since version 0.9.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
I can't run the latest v35 of Iron. It crashes all the time I try to start it.

Are the latest Chromium/Chrome/Iron builds still support the old CPU's with SSE instructions? Or now they start to require SSE2 and just crash on computers with old CPU's?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
I prefer using »[Chrome] Chromium Website Builds myself without the "Google" involvement.
erpster797
join:2008-10-26
Los Angeles, CA

erpster797 to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

I can't run the latest v35 of Iron. It crashes all the time I try to start it.

Are the latest Chromium/Chrome/Iron builds still support the old CPU's with SSE instructions? Or now they start to require SSE2 and just crash on computers with old CPU's?

that's correct. version 35 of Chromium/Chrome/Iron and greater will never install nor run on legacy CPUs without SSE2 support (aka. Intel Pentium 3, AMD K7 processors, etc.). I've experienced this myself when I tried to install Chrome 35 beta and the setup program refused to install it because my computer was using an old CPU. You will need to upgrade your computer, perhaps install a new motherboard and a newer CPU chip (aka. Intel Pentium 4 with hyper-threading, AMD K8 or better) before you can install and run newer versions of Chromium/Chrome/Iron.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
Nevermind the privacy implications of Chrome, I dislike the way it handles tabs (more specifcally, the closing of them). I also dislike the fact that not even with an extension can it truly be fixed.

Closing a tab should bring the last-selected tab to focus. Ctrl+Tab should also cycle through tabs in most-recently-used order. Anything else is unacceptable to me.

BIGbadjohn
A Merry Tune
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05
Ireland

BIGbadjohn to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
My XP machine forced me into using Chrome. I'm normally an IE fan. But recently IE on XP Home is impossible. I read somewhere about Chrome and XP working well. I decided to give it a go. Works excellently. Although it's the best out there (Google) I do not "like" anything with Google to it's name.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051 to howardfine

MVM

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

All depends on the add-ons and themes one used prior to Australius.

Been using Fx since 1.x was released. One of the main reasons I've been using Fx was because of the add-ons and themes that allowed me to customize the Fx toolbars/ appearance to how "I" wanted to use a browser. Was also using Opera for same reason.

Australius broke a LOT of appearance add-ons and "Complete Themes" people have been using for YEARS! (e.g., Compact Classic Theme and related Compact Options add-on I've been using since it was released).

Personally if not for the Classic Theme Restorer and Personal Menu add-ons, I would still be using Fx 28. I just do not like the default Australius, plus omitting items, e.g., toolbar icon normal/ small size option from the Fx Customize options. »Iconbar icon size
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

Closing a tab should bring the last-selected tab to focus. Ctrl+Tab should also cycle through tabs in most-recently-used order. Anything else is unacceptable to me.

MRU (Most Recently Used) concept in handling tabs is important and very convenient. And it's used in many other cases too. For example, everyone knows that windows in Windows OS are ordered in MRU list (you close one window and the most recently used pops up or you use Alt+Tab and you see exactly that order). Why? Because it's logical and convenient...

I wonder how many versions Chromium developers need to pass before they'll realize that and finally implement it in their browser...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

No mainstream browser does it properly. Opera did but even in its heyday it could hardly be called mainstream.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

As an another example, IE (since it introduced multi-tab support) does it well.