join:2001-03-25
US

3 recommendations

antdude

Premium Member

Ars tests Internet surveillance--by spying on an NPR reporter

»arstechnica.com/security ··· traffic/

"A week spent playing NSA reveals just how much data we leak online..."

Scary stuff. You can do this too on your own too.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

It's 10PM - Do you know where your cell phone is?

Part of the traffic they sniffed was from a cell phone.

"He checked his phone and found that Mail, Notes, Safari, Maps, Calendar, Messages, Twitter, and Facebook were running in the background—and making connections to the Internet"

With unlimited data plans the norm at least were not paying extra to upload our stuff
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to antdude

MVM

to antdude

Re: Ars tests Internet surveillance--by spying on an NPR reporter

Voluntarily opening up your online life to this kind of monitoring is not for the fainthearted, but the exercise was revealing.

So, who wants to go next? Anyone think they have "nothing to hide / show" for their online activities?

Regards

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

Voluntarily opening up your online life to this kind of monitoring is not for the fainthearted, but the exercise was revealing.

So, who wants to go next? Anyone think they have "nothing to hide / show" for their online activities?

The point was that opening up isn't an opt in/out out situation.
If the right people want your stuff it's theirs for the taking.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to antdude

to antdude
CM's Privacy Guard for Android helps a bit in these situations. At least as far as granular control over apps (including system) permissions go.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
That was interesting, thanks for posting it.

Archimedes
@96.243.236.x

Archimedes

Anon

The test required the subject to connect to the hacking WiFi router in order to accomplish the snooping.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
That was a boring article and true only for the lazy who just gotta have a cell phone and just gotta use Skype, just gotta have a Microsoft login for Windows 8.1, just gotta have a Google account and allow Google cookies....just gotta...just gotta....why because they gotta have it all simple, easy and they don't give a shit about their privacy or anyone else's privacy.

The article is true only for the above, but sadly, that includes about 95% of computer users and 100% of cell phone users.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Your post seems to imply that sort of snooping is only done on wifi networks. What if it's done on your local cable connection or your ISP's peering links to other networks? What if it's done to your local retailers links? What will any of your generated traffic reveal about you. They used wifi because it was an individual example of what's possible.

It'd be unusual for an agency to zero in on individual snooping before they were caught in a larger dragnet using similar tools on wide area wired networks.

Archimedes
@96.243.236.x

Archimedes

Anon

Wired networks takes a level of hardship and exposure compared to wireless that anyone with such a device can easily jump into.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Well.. in one week, I found out a person's identity from internet "crumbs".

This person is on a dating site and the few images posted would not let you think they were recognizable. However, the facial recognition software we have access to (like iPhoto or Google's Picasa) could match their face to someone's on a FB account wall (I had to lift the images but hey...it helped)

And some social engineering, along with innocuous questions left me with not only their workplace, but their name. All thanks to the interwebs.

Scary. I can see how people can be stalked let alone more devious activity.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Archimedes

Premium Member

to Archimedes
said by Archimedes :

The test required the subject to connect to the hacking WiFi router in order to accomplish the snooping.

The point of the experiment:

Our experiment would answer the question: could a passive observer of Internet traffic still learn much about a target in this post-Snowden world?

Archimedes
@96.243.236.x

Archimedes

Anon

said by DownTheShore:

said by Archimedes :

The point of the experiment:

Our experiment would answer the question: could a passive observer of Internet traffic still learn much about a target in this post-Snowden world?

Understood but I stand by my statement that this is a useless "experiment" for the obvious.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

1 recommendation

Chubbzie

I agree this, this "experiment" is completely without merit. Any device connecting to an unknown AP will inevitably be fully exposed to snooping/sniff dumps.

Rule #1: Don't leave your damn wifi on your phone enabled unless you are explicitly connecting to a known, trusted, secure AP...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to antdude

to antdude

Regardless of this experiment: THE MOVIE "ENEMY OF THE STATE" (1998) SAYS IT ALL!!!!! (It speaks the truth and should not be taken lightly!)

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0120660

EXCELLENT MOVIE!! (One of the last really GOOD movies of the 1900s)

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Chubbzie

Premium Member

to Chubbzie

Re: Ars tests Internet surveillance--by spying on an NPR reporter

Been liking F-Secure App Permissions -- requires no permissions to run.
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· .privacy

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

said by siljaline:

Been liking F-Secure App Permissions -- requires no permissions to run.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. Do you know if it will run on a rooted/modded android?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I don't know if the app is configured to run on a modified phone.
Since it doesn't need boot or require Net access - my guess would be yes.