join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo

Re: Destiny - looks like a hit

said by onebadmofo:

I ALMOST got this title simply because I liked the demo. But with all the time you have to commit certain activities, I just can't deal with that. I have no patience for that type of gaming. It's probably a blast to play if you're a kid or someone who doesn't have much responsibility. But as an adult who works, owns a car, goes to the gym, has a wife, etc...yeah it just doesn't work for me.

I get that and agree as well. I am never going to have time to do the raids, so what is the point of me leveling up? I think the answer to that for me is that this will be my go-to game when I need to turn my brain off and shoot things in the face. The PVE combat is really satisfying. I got kind of addicted over the weekend for the first time since launch.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

1 recommendation

onebadmofo to cbrigante2

Premium Member

to cbrigante2
said by cbrigante2:

Totally understand that viewpoint...and half agree. My son plays it a lot too so it isn't a total loss for me.

And he's probably enjoying the hell out of it. Aaah to be a kid again with todays technology.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by onebadmofo:

I ALMOST got this title simply because I liked the demo. But with all the time you have to commit certain activities, I just can't deal with that. I have no patience for that type of gaming. It's probably a blast to play if you're a kid or someone who doesn't have much responsibility. But as an adult who works, owns a car, goes to the gym, has a wife, etc...yeah it just doesn't work for me.

I get that and agree as well. I am never going to have time to do the raids, so what is the point of me leveling up? I think the answer to that for me is that this will be my go-to game when I need to turn my brain off and shoot things in the face. The PVE combat is really satisfying. I got kind of addicted over the weekend for the first time since launch.

I totally get that with the "go to game" thing you mention.
I have that thought with GTA 5. When I just wanna kill a little time and cause trouble, sit back and laugh, I'll pop that game in, sit in it's sandbox and have some fun doing random things.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Is that armor in-game currently? I know that one of the expansions that was mentioned is called 'House of Wolves' and, what with the wolves inlaid into the different armors, that makes me think those armors will be available when the expansion arrives.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Goggalor:

Is that armor in-game currently? I know that one of the expansions that was mentioned is called 'House of Wolves' and, what with the wolves inlaid into the different armors, that makes me think those armors will be available when the expansion arrives.

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I wasn't aware of the name of that expansion pack, just that there are 2 supposed to be coming out fairly soon. The reason I asked is because in a discussion thread in the Destiny community on Google+, one of the members posted this pick of his Titan, and I noticed that the chest armor has a very similar look to the armor I posted earlier.

Obviously a lot of detail is lost since he posted a screenshot from the Destiny Companion App, but in-game, there would a TON more detail.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I'm still playing, though I have all the same problems with being a responsible adult and so forth, so I don't get more than a couple hours a night -- if I'm lucky.

I may have hit a bit of a wall now, as I've gotten to level 21 but further progression hinges on finding rare, legendary or exotic items with higher Light stats. And all the activities that are likely to drop those kinds of items are things I don't have much time to do.

I've still got a lot of story to play (as I spent a lot of time farming for XP early on by doing patrols etc.) but I realize now that putting off the story progression was probably a mistake. It's not going to earn me the drops I need, most likely, so I'm gonna be fairly stagnant while I'm doing story missions.

There's no telling how much longer I'm going to stay invested in Destiny; I actually can't stand MMOs normally and I think I'm only playing this because of the satisfying PvE gunplay. Given how empty the story is once you get past the exposition of the setting, PvE probably can't hold your attention for very long, nor does it look like it was meant to.

Plus, with all these games coming out in the next month of so...Evil Within, Shadow of Mordor, Alien: Isolation, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, etc...I'm likely going to be distracted. Especially since most of those games have a strong single player component, which is where I like to focus my time these days.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

I may have hit a bit of a wall now, as I've gotten to level 21 but further progression hinges on finding rare, legendary or exotic items with higher Light stats. And all the activities that are likely to drop those kinds of items are things I don't have much time to do.

Same boat. I also don't like multiplayer very much so I never did a strike until I hit level 20 and started doing the strike playlist. I was really pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had, and you get at least a couple blues for every one. The difficulty is really well balanced; hard but not TOO hard. Still, it's going to take me a long time to level up as I don't usually have as much time to play as I did last weekend. I really want to buy that purple helmet in Alpha's pic, I noticed it over the weekend in the Titan shop, so I'll probably at least play until I'm vanguard level 2 and have 120 vanguard marks.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
You could try the Queen's Missions.
I think Rare (Blue) armor tops out at 15 light. Legendary armor starts at 18 and can be upgraded past 25. Queens Missions reward a piece of Queen's armor, which is legendary.
Buy you need to complete a Queen's Bounty to play one of her Missions.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2

Premium Member

The Queen's Mission at the Cosmodrome is the easiest. Basically it's a higher level difficulty version of one of the first missions (where you find that hyperdrive). With a couple 22+ level friends...you can finish that one in about 5 minutes. I got some chest armor which took my Level 21 guy to almost level 23 in one shot.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Thanks for the advice guys, especially RE: the Queen's missions. I completed three of her bounties already so I'm already prepared to do one of those missions, just need to settle in for it.

I'm very anti-social so I have a natural resistance toward jumping into team activities with people I don't know, and unfortunately none of my friends are into Destiny. Might have to bite the bullet.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to cbrigante2

Premium Member

to cbrigante2
Yeah. I think they're assigned randomly though. I tried one solo on the final story mission and had to give up after getting killed by the end boss statues about 10 times.
The next mission I tried I beat in about 15 minutes. Got a Legendary Queen's Helmet that gives 23 Light with one paid upgrade (Using Ascendant Shards).
Rook008

Rook008 to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
You don't have to play the Queen's Missions cooperatively, that just makes them easier.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
You could do the strikes. The Crucible is more the PvP, but the Strikes just assign you team mates, so it's more like co-op. Actually doesn't hinder you if you wanted to play as if you were solo, but it's more fun with others. The Strikes aren't really multiplayer in the sense I believe you're thinking of. Think of Strikes like much more difficult missions, where you have boss battles, and you have 2 other team mates playing together with you, helping each other out. You can get armor from doing those as well.
Alpha Phoenix

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

I'm very anti-social so I have a natural resistance toward jumping into team activities with people I don't know, and unfortunately none of my friends are into Destiny. Might have to bite the bullet.

You can't be that anti-social, if you're posting here on DSLR and are an active member of our community. See how we've all embraced you? The gaming community most often is just as welcoming. Give it a shot on Destiny, you might find that you really enjoy it.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

You could do the strikes. The Crucible is more the PvP, but the Strikes just assign you team mates, so it's more like co-op. Actually doesn't hinder you if you wanted to play as if you were solo, but it's more fun with others. The Strikes aren't really multiplayer in the sense I believe you're thinking of. Think of Strikes like much more difficult missions, where you have boss battles, and you have 2 other team mates playing together with you, helping each other out. You can get armor from doing those as well.

Yeah I spent all day yesterday on the strike playlist, had a ton of fun even though I'm not normally much of a multiplayer gamer. One odd thing I noticed is that you don't get the "Complete one strike" trophy for doing the strike playlist. At least I didn't. And I must have done 10 strikes in the playlist.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Yeah. I think they're assigned randomly though.

Yeah you select it...and it the cutscene isn't Earth...abandon the mission and rinse and repeat until you get that one. Still quicker/easier than all the other missions.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Try doing the strikes on the planets themselves and see if that works. The Strikes playlist, or the weekly strikes may count differently.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

1 recommendation

Grimm to justin

to justin
This game is pretty damn fun and I can't put it down. I've got about 2.5 days played so far with no intention of stopping. RNG be RNG but the ability to purchase your legendaries really doesn't give much room to complain. PvP is where this game will get it's length from IMO. It's too much fun and the multiplayer variable ensures no game is the same. 2 marks for just completing a game and 3 for a win, with the possibility of scoring some good drops means it's a viable way to play, level, and gear up.

That said I still haven't completed a Nightfall or Raid. A few more Ascendant Shards and I'll be able to upgrade my armor and hit 28 which helps a ton. From what I've been told a single level below the enemy means they do 30% more damage while you also do 30% less. Attempting the Nightfall with 2 buddies, all of us 27, was a reality check for sure! haha

The most fun I've had with this game and any game in a very long time came last week one night. Formed a full 6 man fireteam with some friends, all who are fairly decent and well-geared, and we did crucible for 4-5 hours straight. I couldn't put it down and we were unstoppable. Really took me back to when we used to dominate in Halo 2/3 BTB.

If I had to make one suggestion about this game, it would be to get social by any means necessary. There are plenty of ways to do so (admittedly no efficient way in-game imo) and it will make your enjoyment of the game a LOT better.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to cbrigante2

Premium Member

to cbrigante2
That should work just fine.
Rook008

Rook008 to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm
Same here. I haven't finished a Nightfall or started the Raid.
Getting Ascendant Shards and Ascendant Energy is the tough part for me, and I need that stuff to upgrade armor and weapons.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I just got to rank 1 in Dead Orbit. Trying to work my way to rank 2 so I can get some decent weapons.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I tried joining a faction (New Monarchy) but I hardly ever wear the Mark for some reason. And after level 3 Vanguard, there doesn't seem to be much point in going further. I'll probably start wearing the Mark when doing patrols and missions from now on.

Most of my good weapons, though, have come from random drops or as gifts from someone in the Tower (Cryptarch, Vanguard Mentor, etc.).

Grimm

Grimm to Rook008

to Rook008
Your best bet would to seriously level up two alts and do public events with them every day. There is a Fallen Walker public event that spawns every XX:15 & XX:45 (give or take a few minutes) without fail. Usually there are a bunch of high level guys doing them so you just need to shoot it a few times to join in. It goes down super easy, you get your first Gold Tier public event of the day and voila, easy mats, motes, coins, etc are now waiting for you at the postmaster. Toss the mats into your vault.

That's one thing I've come across that not a lot of people know: Your Vault is shared by all your characters.
Grimm

Grimm to Rook008

to Rook008
Every rank past 3 for any faction will net you a random legendary, usually from that faction itself.
Grimm

1 recommendation

Grimm

And when I say level alts, they don't need to be much of anything. maybe 5 or 6. High enough to not die on the way from the earth patrol spawn to The Divide.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I hadn't thought of doing that, thanks.
I usually stumble on an Event when doing Bounties, mostly patrols.
Rook008

1 edit

Rook008 to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm
said by Grimm:

Every rank past 3 for any faction will net you a random legendary, usually from that faction itself.

I got to Vanguard 3 and got a Legendary weapon, but I don't think I got anything for levels 4 or 5. I can't be sure, I have a few legendary weapons that I can't remember where they came from.

Grimm

Grimm

Well I know you get something. Maybe it's not a legendary. Some people were saying it was but I guess it could be mats or anything really.

RNG gonna RNG

I haven't personally hit 3 on anything since I went straight for Dead Orbit rank 2 for the gear and now currently doing vanguard/crucible

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Yeah. Get a Legendary Engram and the Cryptarch turns it into rare crap. Glad they're patching that.

Grimm

Grimm

Amen haha. That was a huge oversight to begin with.