Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic

Re: Destiny - looks like a hit

Best that you haven't tried yet. I think the servers are overwhelmed right now. Codes returning errors...downloads failing.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
I dunno. But I'm logging on to check as soon as I get home from work today.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Yes, beta is up and running now. It's downloading to my PS4 as we speak. I tried all afternoon to start the download remotely via the PlayStation Store after successfully redeeming my code, but the PSN store website was fragged. The only way to get it to work was to go to the PS4 and start the download there. And yes, I left work early just for this. That said, the download is working fine and coming in at around 22 Mbps/sec. No problems so far.

Whether I'll be able to start playing without incident after it's done downloading, that's another story. But I'm gonna give it my all this evening! See some of you there, perhaps!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

The Beta wasn't available for me to download.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

I have a spare download code for the PS4 beta. PM me if you'd like it.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

PM sent!

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Got it downloaded and played through the tutorial last night. I hate not having much gaming time, a half hour was not enough! The shooting is solid, the graphics are some of the best I've seen on a console. It seems like the interface was built for a mouse, which I find really weird since there are currently no plans for a pc edition.

I also have a spare PS4 code. If any Premium member wants it, shoot me a PM.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

Got it downloaded and played through the tutorial last night. I hate not having much gaming time, a half hour was not enough! The shooting is solid, the graphics are some of the best I've seen on a console. It seems like the interface was built for a mouse, which I find really weird since there are currently no plans for a pc edition.

»www.gamespot.com/article ··· 6420475/

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

EDIT: brought it up on my phone. They're talking seriously about it, but still no concrete plans for a PC port, which means if they do one it will be quite a while coming. I imagine it will happen eventually.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
I enjoyed the fact that there was an intro mission with some story now, unlike the alpha. Disliked how long I had to wait to get my double-jump and super ability, but that just comes from knowing what they're like and jonesing for them.

Got to level 6 last night after about 4 hours of play. Although we all know the leveling was accelerated in the alpha (vs. what you'll find in the final product), I think it's even further accelerated in the beta! Day one I see tons of people running around at level 8, and these are people I know haven't played the beta prior to its public launch date yesterday.

Quickest way to level, I think, is to do the first three or four story missions, get yourself to level 4, and then do the level 4 explore mission for a little while. Just run and kill everything, pick up those little side quests from the dropped beacons, just see what there is to do. I gained nearly two levels this way in a couple hours.

A great XP builder is the random public events you can do in explore mode. You'll get a warning on your screen when one of these events is incoming. Team up with friends or the random Guardians in your instance and engage for some decent XP rewards, even if you don't successfully complete the mission.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Can anyone explain to me exactly how the game works? I honestly haven't been keeping up with Destiny like I should have been but was surprised by how MMO-like it seemed. The city had a mailbox and a vendor for each class, along with vendors with different stuff obviously suited for higher levels and grinds...but I was all by myself and the city seemed built to hold a population of players, a la a city in an MMO.

I realize it's largely a multiplayer co-op game, but I'm in the dark on specifics and the extent of the multiplayer aspects. Is story mode single player, so in the city you're by yourself? Is there ever an instance where the city will be populated by other players? Do the classes represent the traditional MMO holy trinity (tank, dps, healer)? Normally I am more up on this kind of stuff in games I'm interested in but school is killing me at the moment, and Destiny is hard to get a handle on with what little I've played so far. Thanks in advance!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

It seems like a fusion of Action/Adventure, FPS, and MMORPG.

Watch the Gameplay Experience Video I posted earlier in the thread. It explains a lot.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xsw7TNd4

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
I got to level 7 last night. Had a group of friends working through the story missions like you said. Got through a couple of tough (for level 6 characters) bosses. I think it was called Devil's Lair? We managed to finish it. A lot of Borderlands style fighting and having one player hang back to keep the other two alive via respawn.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Very cool, thanks that cleared up a lot.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Np.
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I'm at work right now, and don't want to wait for the download and install when I get home. I want to play as soon as I get in! I've got the PlayStation app on my phone. Is there a way I can download the Beta to my PS4 through the app so it's ready for me to play as soon as I walk in?

Another question, it seems the Alpha is offline; is it okay to uninstall it to free up some HD space, or is there a benefit to keeping it so the Beta recognizes you had it and gives you some sort of bonus (like Mario Kart did when it detected you had the Super Mario Galaxy game save file on your Wii)?

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Is there a way I can download the Beta to my PS4 through the app so it's ready for me to play as soon as I walk in?

Yup. Just use the Playstation app on your phone...go to store..I think the path is games....games to try...ps4...and Destiny beta is the first one on the list. Hit the download to PS4 button and enjoy!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

It said I am not able to purchase the Destiny Beta because I have not purchased Destiny. WTH?!

I couldn't find it via the steps you gave me, so I just searched for "Destiny Beta", and clicked on the PS4 edition. What am I doing wrong?

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Looks like playing this beta is not your....

Destiny

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Did you redeem the code yet?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Don't know how to do that from the app. Help!

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2

Premium Member

You might need to do that from the desktop version of the site? I was just looking and it would appear to not be part of that app.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

You got a link for that? Sorry, at work and gotta sneak to do this.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2

Premium Member

»us.playstation.com/plays ··· n-store/
Sign in, and then hover over your account name and click redeem code. It asks for a verification then you can enter it.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by cbrigante2:

»us.playstation.com/plays ··· n-store/
Sign in, and then hover over your account name and click redeem code. It asks for a verification then you can enter it.

That worked! Thanks!

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

Ha, that was the same situation I was in yesterday when the beta went live. I was at work, redeemed the code online and then tried to do the remote download to PS4 thing. But Sony's PSN Store website went down under all the strain and I couldn't get it to load, so I couldn't access that option.

Ended up going home early to start the download directly on the PS4.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

ROFL!!!

I started the download from the website on my phone, and it's showing that it's "Playable". Now I know I have a pretty good network connection at home, but to be able to download 13 GB in less than 5 minutes seems dubious to me at best. How can I check to see if it really downloaded to my PS4 properly?

Also, it seems the Alpha is offline; is it okay to uninstall it to free up some HD space, or is there a benefit to keeping it so the Beta recognizes you had it and gives you some sort of bonus (like Mario Kart did when it detected you had the Super Mario Galaxy game save file on your Wii)?

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I believe the Alpha made the install size smaller for the Beta but I'm not positive. As far as if you can check it from your phone, that I don't think is possible I'm sorry to say.
Duplex
join:2009-08-17
Bossier City, LA

Duplex to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
You downloaded the launcher. The game itself is downloaded when you start the launcher. It was about an 11gb file.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Oh man, you're right. The "stub" is about 150 MB or so. You have to actually launch it on your PS4 and agree to some terms and conditions before it will start downloading the remaining 10 GB. So you kinda have to be on site. Sorry.