Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm

Re: Destiny - looks like a hit

At least they're actively fixing things, which is a good idea if they stick to the ten-year plan for Destiny.

I think I'm going to start working on New Monarchy now.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6 to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm
Totally agree. Having some modicum of "surprise!" in what the Cryptarch gives you was supposedly their reason, but then why did they make the engram drops a certain color? Just leads to disappointed expectations and they're crazy if they didn't see the confusion coming. (I know it says it may drop a Rare or better right there in the UI, but how many people read that?)

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
I joined Future War Cult. I'm a Level 20 Warlock, and FWC attributes reduce cool down time for my Vortex Grenades, and Nova Bombs, so I can use them more often.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

You know what, I'm not sure why I joined the faction that I did. I was at 25,000 Glimmer and couldn't cash in a bunch of trinkets I had so I decided to spend some. New Monarchy was just the first faction I found in the Tower.

Later I had to buy 10 rare fusion rifles and that cost me over 20,000 Glimmer.

I need to think more before I make these decisions.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Lol. Yep. Look up online what attributes each faction focuses on.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
I did the Winter Strike on Venus yesterday and a Purple Engram dropped.

When I decoded it, I got this Exotic item

Too bad I am a Warlock .. well into the vault it went for when I decide to make a titan

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

Alpha Phoenix to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
Found this online in a forum and thought it might be helpful for those of you who don't fully understand the Factions, and the attributes they focus on. This should help you pick the right faction for your class/play style.
said by »www.gamefaqs.com/boards/ ··· 70060871 :

Factions are represented by vendors in the Tower, and offer Legendary gear for use at Level 20. In order to buy gear from these factions, you must first represent them in the Crucible enough to get to Rank 2 Reputation with them.

How do I get Rep?

That's easy. You go to a faction, buy their Class Item for your class and then play PVP, do bounties, and do Strikes. You earn rep for each of these, as well as Patrol missions.

So, which faction do I pick?

This is the slightly more difficult part. When you pick a faction (assuming you don't want to go to the effort of achieving Rank 2 with every faction) you need to decide which two attributes you want to focus on. There are three.

Intellect: Intellect decreases the cooldown time of your Super, allowing you to use it more often.

Discipline: Discipline decreases the cooldown time of your grenades, allowing you to use them more often.

Strength: Strength reduces the cooldown time of your melee modifier, allowing you to use it more often.

The Faction combinations are as follows:

New Monarchy: INT/STR
Dead Orbit: DIS/STR
Future War Cult: INT/DIS

And that's it. Decide which of the three abilities affected by attributes you use the most and go with that.

As a side note, it's 315 Crucible Marks to get a full set of Faction gear.
Happy hunting, Guardians.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

2 recommendations

Grimm to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
That's awesome dude. I was equally as lucky last night.

Did some more pvping with the guys and got my first legendary engram drop from pvp in FOR-E-VER. It was a chest piece.

Friggin thing decoded into the Exotic Alpha Lupi Chest piece I ALMOST purchased for my titan this weekend. SOO glad I didn't now and I now have an exotic armor piece for both Striker(Helm of Inmost Light) and Defender(Chest of the Alpha Lupi).

It was my first exotic drop as the helmet I purchased two weekends ago. I got many "F* you dude" from the guys haha

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
OK, so I tried doing one of the Queen's missions last night. Apparently they are just random story missions. Unfortunately they are level 24 missions, and I am level 21. I could have made that work with some extra bullets to the head, but when I get into the heart of the mission I find most of the enemies are immune to every damage type my weapons are dealing. It was completely impossible.

Stuff like this makes Destiny seem like more of a job than a game. I do not think I like it.

Grimm

2 recommendations

Grimm

Blue shields(fallen majors for ex.) - use arc
Purple shields(Minotaurs for ex.) - use void
Orange shields(Noble shanks for ex.) - use solar

As long as your level coincides and you use this information, it's amazing how easy it all becomes. IMO it adds a level of depth to the game.

This is also why I have started stockpiling a special weapon and heavy weapon of each element type. It sucks to switch since you lose ammo, but it's usually worth it.

It's also extremely necessary late in the game.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Ugh, thank you. It was the solar damage that I didn't have covered, and of course the enemies I was up against had orange shields. Most of them were Noble Shanks but there were a few others.

Fortunately, I just got a rare heavy machine gun that does solar damage, so I think I'm covered in all areas now. But that's a good point about having to carry around weapons of all types. And if switching on the fly is necessary, sounds like I should spend some glimmer on those ammo replication packs too.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I was playing Shadow of Mordor last night and kept hitting the directional key to try to dance after a hard fight, lol!

Grimm

Grimm to banditws6

to banditws6
NP bud. Yeah that is a good idea about the ammo packs. It sucks you can only use one every 5 minutes but it definitely helps, especially for the heavy ammo. Since there is a 25,000 glimmer cap it's a good idea to dump some on the heavy ammo whenever you are in the tower. Also, if you get the one exotic bounty for the INVECTIVE shotgun, the last step is to buy an item for 50 special ammo synthesis so you can always stockpile that as you go.

Yeah shanks are SO deceiving in this game I feel. they are so easy early on and then become SUCH a pain later but that doesn't register in your mind until you've unloaded a clip or two haha.
Grimm

Grimm to TheBionic

to TheBionic
Haha nice. How do you like it? I picked my copy up yesterday but it's still in the packaging.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

It's really good, one of the best open world games to come out in a long time. I'm a huge Tolkien fan but even if I wasn't I think I'd like it. It is a cross between an Arkham game and an Assassin's Creed game, with an excellent nemesis system to keep things interesting. Good stuff.

I didn't know about the different color shields you guys are talking about upthread. I just shoot everything until it stops moving. I'm a Titan so I don't think I have arc, void or solar (haven't played any other class).

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Destiny Iron Banner event date, times and rewards | Product Reviews Net
»www.product-reviews.net/ ··· rewards/

Grimm

1 recommendation

Grimm to TheBionic

to TheBionic
I'm a titan as well. Most primary weapons just do your typical Kinetic damage, however there are a few primaries that drop in the raid that have an element attached. All special and heavy weapons have an element of some sort attached.

I'm only really sure about the Titans, but

For Titans:
-Striker - our Melee, Flashbang and Pulse Grenades, and our super all do Arc damage.
-Defender - the Melee and Magnetic Grenade do Void damage.

Warlock:
-Voidwalker - Void
-Sunsinger - Solar

Hunter:
-Gunslinger - super is Solar I believe
-Bladedance - super is Arc I believe

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Thanks for that, I get it now.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

2 recommendations

Rook008

Premium Member

Plus, Special and Heavy weapons will do some added type of damage as well.
When you check a weapon's stats, in the area with the circles, there should be an icon on the far left of the screen. They'll either do Arc, Void, or Solar damage to enemies. This takes down the enemies shields faster than kinetic damage alone, when you match damage type to shield type.

This gun does Solar damage:

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I totally missed the 'matching the damage type to the shield color' bit. I mean I saw the different modifiers on the weapons but didn't know the names; I figured they were elemental damage like in other RPGs. I have been scrapping everything but the gun I'm using, but now inventory management becomes more of a thing.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Yeah. Kinetic damage alone would take down shields, but it usually takes a lot of bullets, and a lot of time.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I totally missed the 'matching the damage type to the shield color' bit.

Yeah, I did too. I recall hearing about it now, but totally forgot about it. What further confused me was that I expected that color to be reflected on the enemy's health/shield bar, but it isn't. It's only a visual effect around the enemy itself when their shield flares.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

If you all want to see the power of the raid tier weapons, do a search on Vex Mythoclast PvP. The video shows the guy (average PvPer, from some of his goofs) absolutely dominating by four shotting people without even headshotting once.

The Mythoclast is a scout/fusion rifle hybrid, in that, it shoots like a scout rifle and takes a primary weapon slot, but does solar damage like a fusion rifle. KirbyMT (the guy in the video with the weapon) earned it by finishing the raid on hardmode.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Just watched this, and this guy's gameplay is sick!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

I was LMAO from the 2:02 mark.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Just picked up a copy yesterday. Only played first chapter so far.

Grimm

Grimm

RIP WK2 See Profile

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I never realized this but the Grimoire cards unlock a bunch of info and back story on the different characters, weapons and places in the game. I was reading some stuff on the Destiny site and it seems they put a lot of effort into it.
Too bad it's on the website and not in the game though.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Rook008:

I never realized this but the Grimoire cards unlock a bunch of info and back story on the different characters, weapons and places in the game. I was reading some stuff on the Destiny site and it seems they put a lot of effort into it.
Too bad it's on the website and not in the game though.

You can also access them from the Destiny Companion App.
Alpha Phoenix

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
I'm currently a level 21 Warlock, and have always used the Voidwalker subclass, but Xur is selling these sick looking Sunbreakers Gauntlets and I want them badly!

I've never used the Sunsinger sublass, but now am possibly considering it for those guantlets, and wanted to know between Sunsinger and Voidwalker, which one you guys prefer, and why? Pros and Cons?

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Sunslinger is more defensive in nature

Once you level it high enough you can actually self revive.. which is helpful during the no respawn fights

I would level both up though, for raids that call for sun damage you equip that, for raids that call for void, you equip the other

edit: Where is Xur hiding this weekend?