All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Anyone ever use PODS

to move, or for storage.....do you prefer it as opposed to hiring the movers?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

No, I m not a pod person Sorry, could not resist. I thought they were only for storage? My in laws may have used them for storage when staging the house for sale. I can check, but I do not have any details.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Never used it
With pod you pack and unpack your stuff at your own pace
I heard it's pricey but convenient

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
I preferred Cubeit Portable Storage because they are Canadian and they also have properly engineered their containers for the weight and to keep your contents secure and level during movement. I have personally used their services and was very happy with them.

Check them out at cubeit.ca or 1-888-428-2348.

Z
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Mobile Mini is a good solution as well. They have a wide variety of container sizes and door options. I use them exclusively @ construction projects I've been involved with because of the security of their door systems.

Just remember that Mobile Mini's commonly available basic containers most likely have been used in construction/industrial storage situations, so just beware that the floors of some containers may have residual odours in them from tires, oil/gas, construction chemicals.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
My parents used them for a big move. We used two of their PODS and stuffed them to giles. The service was excellent and their driver did really well doing two runs in one day. Each leg of the move was 3 hours so we know he had a long day. I would recommend the service because of the flexibility in the length you can have the PODS. The option to load up at your convenience and them unload is just awesome!
jaberi

jaberi

have to load it up and keep the pod for one night because of the dates the move is and then take it to the new place next day....
worried that they can be broken in during the night it is left outside on the street.

thanks everyone keep them coming....anyone know the prices more or less?
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

said by jaberi:

have to load it up and keep the pod for one night because of the dates the move is and then take it to the new place next day....

Is it local? Do you have a truck that can pull? Check kijiji for someone local that is renting enclosed trailers. Get one or 2. They're pretty sturdy and lockable. You could even put it in a storage compound overnight if you were overly worried. Probably way cheaper than PODS
jaberi

jaberi to zacron

to zacron
Initial Delivery to Client Location $69.00
Outdoor Gated Storage of 16' Cube (4 weeks) $319.00
Costco Member Savings (every 4 weeks) ($90.00)
Fuel $6.50
Peace of Mind Coverage $19.99
High Security Disk Lock $19.95
Tie-Down Rope $4.95
Subtotal before Tax $349.39
Sales Tax $17.47
Total Due on Delivery $366.86

------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Future Container Transportation Charges
Return to Storage $69.00
Redelivery $69.00
Final Pick Up $69.00
Fuel $19.50
Subtotal Before Tax $226.50
Sales Tax $11.33
Total Future Transporation Costs $237.83

what are they talking about here?

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

Initial Delivery to Client Location $69.00 - Delivery to you
Outdoor Gated Storage of 16' Cube (4 weeks) $319.00 - Storage after you fill it
Costco Member Savings (every 4 weeks) ($90.00) - Savings plan
Fuel $6.50 - Surcharge for transpo.
Peace of Mind Coverage $19.99 - insurance on contents
High Security Disk Lock $19.95 - rental lock while in storage
Tie-Down Rope $4.95 - obvious
Subtotal before Tax $349.39
Sales Tax $17.47
Total Due on Delivery $366.86 - this covers getting it to you and the rental cost and storage cost

------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Future Container Transportation Charges
Return to Storage $69.00 - the cost to move the pod from you to the storage area
Redelivery $69.00 - the cost to move it from the storage area to your final location
Final Pick Up $69.00 - the cost to return the pod when you're done with it back to their facility
Fuel $19.50 - fuel transpo surcharge
Subtotal Before Tax $226.50
Sales Tax $11.33
Total Future Transporation Costs $237.83 - this covers all the shuffling of it after you've filled it up - back and forth to storage and back to their lot when you're done with it.

what are they talking about here?

jaberi

jaberi

i need it delivered to me and leave it at my place one day and night, and next day to the new location and unload.. they can take it back...

so am i adding these 2 charges together or just the second one?

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

If that's all you're doing there should be a lot of these charges you can do away with in both lists. That's a "one month storage" quote they gave you. You just want an in-place move. It should be something like:
Delivery - $69
Fuel $6.50
Peace of Mind coverage - $19
Transpo to new location - $69
Fuel $6.50
Transpo from new location back to them - $69
Fuel $6.50
1 Week of Pod Rental (Minimum length of rental time) - $80

So your total cost would be: $325.50 + tax = $367 total.

For what you are doing a 3 day rental of a 26 foot UHaul truck would run you about the same cost and give you much more flexibility.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
my buddy did the pod thing several years ago...it seemed to work well for them as they needed stuff in storage for about 2 months while they waited for the new house to be completed.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
a lot of the newer developments don't provide much space for a storage container in the driveway or lawn

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
PODS is good - particularlly if you pay a little extra for the "hammer" truck, where they lift the container level; versus some of the more industrial options, that winch the container up onto basically a tilt-n-load type truck/trailer.

Be prepared to give it a good sweep before you use it, but otherwise, both times I've used them, they've been OK.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to koira

to koira
said by koira:

a lot of the newer developments don't provide much space for a storage container in the driveway or lawn

Some cities will issue permits to leave them on the street in front of the house for a short period (typically 1 week max) in those kind of neighbourhoods.