uniqs

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to workablob

Mod

to workablob

Re: When you have low expectations ... sometimes you are surprised.

Why are conservatives like Wheeler so against states and local rights?

What are they really trying to do, give us one large central over-reaching government?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

2 recommendations

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Because the states are proving themselves to be incompetent nin-com-poops with regards to community broadband.

I don't see this any differently than the FCC's long-standing mandate that landlords and HOA's can't prohibit you from installing a small satellite dish.

This state has banned my community from standing up an ISP on its own. How dare they? Further, they've put up so much red tape that the existing community systems are hamstrung from even doing regular maintenance that goes beyond a prescribed job.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to Mike

Anon

to Mike
The FCC has a statutory mission to cultivate broadband adoption.

batman
@66.249.83.x

batman to Mike

Anon

to Mike
said by Mike:

What are they really trying to do, give us one large central over-reaching government?

Wheeler is just part of the Federal Bureacracy that wants to wipe away any power that states have to govern themselves. Big Brother wants to control all.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to atcotr

to atcotr
said by atcotr :

The FCC has a statutory mission to cultivate broadband adoption.

Indeed they do.

But do they have the legal authority to insert themselves between a state and the state's political subdivisions, namely cities and counties? That will be an interesting question.

I fully support muni fiber, but I wonder if the FCC is once again going too far out on a limb?
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

Wheeler is not a Conservative. Please check your facts.

Conservatives do support States' rights.

I don't see anything wrong with regulating wired broadband at the state level, so long as those regulations don't violate the rights of the ISP and the MSO, which most proposals here would.

You would also be creating 50 separate sets of court cases to be tried, and you'd see a lot more firms walk away from cities that become too difficult to deploy, while the local government will fail miserably to provide an alternative, though that won't stop them from extracting taxes for it. Be careful what you wish for.
elray

elray to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

This state has banned my community from standing up an ISP on its own. How dare they?

The state has not banned your community from starting an ISP.
They banned your local government from doing so.

There is a difference.
adrenatek
join:2014-06-11

adrenatek to ke4pym

to ke4pym
I'm with you, I think if Wheeler follows through on this it could be a very good thing. Additional competition is almost always a good thing. States have no right to say who can start a business. Old state telecom laws need some serious reworking.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to elray

Premium Member

to elray
I have problems with muni fiber ISPs. One the system may stop at the city limit, Two they can be just as bad as a private ISP. If a government is going to do it it needs to be at the county level if not regional so people in rural areas between towns are not left out. If they get power then they should get fiber in a government system.

If it is going to be a fiber network by government the let it built just the fiber network and allow any ISP to connect and provide service to the individual customers. In NC the just stopped the towns from building the service using current resources of the town. If the town wants to do it like a private company starting from scratch. I just don't like a government being a monopoly ISP like the cable and telcos.

I would like to see the content and the transport network kept separate.