spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Outdoor Security Cameras for the cold.

**I posted this on another forum so I will just copy and paste it to make it easier**

Hello All,

After a hit and run on my car at the beginning of this year and not knowing who it was I would like to invest in a Security Camera to be pointed toward my car at my home. I have been looking around and I would like a good camera that will will in Canadian winters. I have heard of some cameras getting to cold and not working when temps reach -15c. I'm in Toronto and this past winter we had a few days where the temperature hit -25c & I would need a camera that can handle that.

I would like it to have good quality 720p is good no need for 1080p
I would like to get video/power through Ethernet (dont want to run a power line)
Also be able to easily view it online over my cell phone and computers.

I have come across units like this which I really like however not sure if it can handle the cold weather or not.

»www.ncix.com/detail/d-li ··· 1448.htm

This one would be good but I heard it wont work in cold weather but again the features are what i'm looking for - »www.ncix.com/detail/d-li ··· 1448.htm

Any suggestions?

Thanks

zong
Premium Member
join:2005-07-21
Scarborough, ON

zong

Premium Member

I have never had an issue with mine and they are a cheap import. Mind you it is analog technology, which you may want to consider. Old school thin-coax to the camera and a power wire.

Survived the winter last year (and the year before that and the year before that) without issue.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
At work I installed a few cheap indoor Trendnet 672WI PTZ's in cheap unheated/unventilated outdoor domes. They survived this nasty winter no problem and i was moving them in the winter too.

But for your purpose you dont want a huge dome hanging around. So i'd suggest something like this that is already weatherproof an can do good quality.

»accessories.dell.com/sna ··· A7645706

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to zong

to zong
Hello,

I rather not use the old school ones because I don't want to have to run both video & power to the unit & with an ip/Ethernet version it's 1 cable and I can access it over my network by just going to an IP address. No need for a dvr or another computer.

Thanks
said by zong:

I have never had an issue with mine and they are a cheap import. Mind you it is analog technology, which you may want to consider. Old school thin-coax to the camera and a power wire.

Survived the winter last year (and the year before that and the year before that) without issue.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Did you look at my link? its a HD IP Cam with PoE.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
These guys are awesome with this stuff and inexpensive!

»www.cctvdirect.ca
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to bryanviper

to bryanviper
I just bought 2 of the trendnet 3mp from here »www.hookbag.ca/product/H ··· trendnet

188 today but price changes daily. They are rated for -25c but i'd bet they go lower. I will certainly find out this winter as temps here can go to -40
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to bryanviper

to bryanviper
I've used the ubiquiti Cams all winter in Winnipeg and they were just fine.
I'd buy the NVR though instead of using their software package, it was a CPU and ram hog....

At home I have low light, low profile Coax ones. They have been up for years as well.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to bryanviper

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

Hello,

I rather not use the old school ones because I don't want to have to run both video & power to the unit & with an ip/Ethernet version it's 1 cable and I can access it over my network by just going to an IP address. No need for a dvr or another computer.

I use the 'old school' analogue cameras with a single 4 conductor ( 2 twisted pair ) cable. One pair is power ( 12v ) the other pair is the balanced video. The analogue BNC connector from the camera is connected to a balun that converts the unbalanced coax to 2-wire balanced ( differential ). At the other end is a balun that converts back to coax BNC. This can support longer runs than coax alone.

The cameras are fed into a recorder; but at one time, I just used a device that turned them into Ethernet accessible webcams.

In any case, I would avoid the wireless cameras. I tried a few and they were dismal failures unless within direct sight of the receiver.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
i'm not familiar with the stuff myself, but Costco has a fair amount of units available, a few of which are under $500 for a system.

for example: »www.costco.ca/Q-See®-4- ··· 235.html

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I see in the picture it has an Ethernet cable & power cable. Do I need to hook up both or can I just use Ethernet for power like some other cameras I have seen?

Thanks
said by HiVolt:

At work I installed a few cheap indoor Trendnet 672WI PTZ's in cheap unheated/unventilated outdoor domes. They survived this nasty winter no problem and i was moving them in the winter too.

But for your purpose you dont want a huge dome hanging around. So i'd suggest something like this that is already weatherproof an can do good quality.

»accessories.dell.com/sna ··· A7645706

bryanviper

bryanviper to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
Defiantly not going wireless, I personally dont like wireless to much and then I still need to run power to the camera.

I want a ethernet only camera this way bandwidth is not an issue (which wireless may be an issue depending on many factors) and the ethernet will power the camera which also allows for a cleaner install with only 1 cable.
bryanviper

bryanviper to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Thanks I'll have a look at their stuff but I'm really just looking for 1 Camera, dont need a full system.
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i'm not familiar with the stuff myself, but Costco has a fair amount of units available, a few of which are under $500 for a system.

for example: »www.costco.ca/Q-See®-4- ··· 235.html

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, i saw you only wanted a camera...just thought a complete system might be of interest to you as a possibility as several are under $500 (and that one camera was about $300).

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
AA on matheson has a selection
»www.aa-e.com/display.php ··· yID=23-2
Riplin
canada

Riplin to bryanviper

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

I see in the picture it has an Ethernet cable & power cable. Do I need to hook up both or can I just use Ethernet for power like some other cameras I have seen?

Thanks

this is a poe cam. You can just use your eth cable only for data and power as long as you have a poe switch or poe injector. The cable on the cam just allows for both scenarios if you have power nearby

DennisO
@69.165.165.x

DennisO to bryanviper

Anon

to bryanviper
I have a Vivotek FD8372 and it works great. Survived two winters so far without any issues.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

That Vivotek looks nice, ouch on the wallet though.